English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 23 May 2017, 17:41   #1
Solo Kazuki

Genesia - newer slave?

There's problem with this game described here. In short, game is not working with current (v18.3) WHDLoad version. But even in older versions are problems with game.

Is planned any update of slave in near future?
Old 19 August 2017, 21:19   #2
haynor666
retro maniac

Fonts are too big because game originally rely on system-configuration font size which on original disk was set to 80 chars per line. Under WHDLoad this file seems to be ignored so we has 60 chars per line.

BTW. Remake it's the way - http://store.steampowered.com/app/59...timate_Domain/
Old 03 December 2017, 07:42   #3
AC/DC HACKER!

I came across this as well. Took 3 times before I figured, "Okay, gotta be about the loading after the configuration." so I had WHDLoad exit. Ahh, ha...but I haven't gone much further other than to load the game and see that the name is in use, even if I run Config again. Now I see there are other bugs. Glad I decided to look here some.

Maybe rename the Fonts directory to "Fonts!" and see if that helps? Sometimes it does.
Old 06 August 2019, 07:52   #4
Solo Kazuki

Is there any news about Genesia slave?
Old 06 August 2019, 08:36   #5
Aladin

with retroplay instal, you must use the two icon, the first for config game, and the second for launch game

tuto for launching game with whdload:
https://www.amigafrance.com/forums/topic/genesia/

in french sorry:
Pour la version WHDLOAD: Dans l’archive fourni sur AmigaFuture il faut enlever la protection des fichiers (avec la commande protect dans dopus4 par exemple)

Lancer en premier genesiaconfig pour configurer votre partie, toujours répondre NON (le jeu est déjà installé) à l’écran de sélection « Disquette / Disque Dur » et dans le jeu toujours sauver en sélectionnant disque dur.

Dans GenesiaConfig une fois votre nom rentré, le jeu va clignoter et revenir sur l’écran pour attendre le lancement du jeu. Quitter le jeu immédiatement avec la touche de sortie de WHDLOAD (pour ce jeu c’est la touche prtscr, touche étoile * sur winuae) avant que le jeu se fige. Puis lancer le jeu avec l’icone Genesia. (Astuce provenant de mantisbugtracker)

http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=3225

Last edited by Aladin; 06 August 2019 at 13:14.
Old 06 August 2019, 08:46   #6
Solo Kazuki

I'm sorry but i don't understand what it have to topic.

And there are two icons in original WHDLoad installer already, I haven't any version with just one icon.
Old 06 August 2019, 08:56   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
indeed the game is not working under whdload. or badly.
Old 14 August 2019, 19:42   #8
haynor666
retro maniac

Too bad, great game and probably does not need too much time to fix remaining issues.
Old 01 September 2020, 17:24   #9
Amigajay

Any chance someone could update the slave so it can be run from CD?

The problem running from either ADF or whdload is the game (tries) to write data to the disk Its running from
Old 01 September 2020, 18:42   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

you can use a tooltype to tell WHDload not to write on the disk / use whdloadcd32 which does that by default.

but nevertheless the slave needs updating because it's just a mess.
Old 01 September 2020, 19:05   #11
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
you can use a tooltype to tell WHDload not to write on the disk / use whdloadcd32 which does that by default.

Oh right didn’t know that, cheers! will give that a go.
Old 01 September 2020, 20:39   #12
Wepl

WHDLoad in general should detect if the data is located on a read-only volume and then should silently ignore any write attempts.
Did you see a write failure requester?
Old 01 September 2020, 22:49   #13
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
WHDLoad in general should detect if the data is located on a read-only volume and then should silently ignore any write attempts.
Did you see a write failure requester?
No, i see an 'Insert Disk 1' requester with WHDLoad or WHDLoadCD32

I actually got the AMOS write error trying to load from ADF's, which is why i thought it was probably related to the WHDLoad error.

Last edited by Amigajay; 01 September 2020 at 23:09.
Old 02 September 2020, 09:06   #14
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Any chance someone could update the slave so it can be run from CD?
That's not good idea at all in case of this game. I suppose You didn't play too much Genesia, because game is very specyfic.

To play this game You must first run config, where You must set everything. You pick number of players and them names, chose which map to play, etc. You must also set if You play from HD or floppy. When You set everything as You like, preferences are saved and only then You can run main game with proper settings. When You put game on read only media, You cannot change even player name, not to mention other settings.

Quote:
The problem running from either ADF or whdload is the game (tries) to write data to the disk Its running from
That's because game needs it to proper working, see above.

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Yes, indeed. It's begin to look like some kind of molesting, but... Do You plan to update Genesia WHDLoad installer/slave?
Old 02 September 2020, 09:27   #15
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
That's not good idea at all in case of this game. I suppose You didn't play too much Genesia, because game is very specyfic.

To play this game You must first run config, where You must set everything. You pick number of players and them names, chose which map to play, etc. You must also set if You play from HD or floppy. When You set everything as You like, preferences are saved and only then You can run main game with proper settings. When You put game on read only media, You cannot change even player name, not to mention other settings.
Yes i understand this, but the odd other game have preset stuff and names, (1 player, called Player 1 etc) and to be able to play from CD its a compromise worth doing.

The slave already has a custom tag to allow to boot into config mode, why not just add a tag with the above settings for people wanting to boot with the above settings?
Old 02 September 2020, 09:39   #16
Solo Kazuki

What settings are the right one? Mind that You also can pick number of human players, one of five maps, difficulty level and additional effects.

And above that, what about saving game?
Old 02 September 2020, 10:07   #17
Amigajay

Quote:
What settings are the right one? Mind that You also can pick number of human players, one of five maps, difficulty level and additional effects.

And above that, what about saving game?
Why is it bothering you so much!?

As i said playing something is still better than playing nothing, and yes the default settings as is would be a start.

Of course you cant save on CD32, but playing from emulator can save state.
Old 02 September 2020, 10:41   #18
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Why is it bothering you so much!?
Because i'm trying to find some logic in this.

Quote:
As i said playing something is still better than playing nothing, and yes the default settings as is would be a start.
Unless You want have other settings than this.

Quote:
Of course you cant save on CD32, but playing from emulator can save state.
Playing emulator You can install game on HD and don't need it on CD. It have only some sense for real CD32 hardware.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, just in my opinion game is not designed for read only media. Having it on CD You lost chance e.g. to play it with friends (2 or 3 players option) or change map.

Edit 2: Also, instead playing with emulator on PC You can play native PC version which have better hi-res graphic...

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 02 September 2020 at 11:03.
Old 02 September 2020, 11:21   #19
Amigajay

Wink

Quote:
Because i'm trying to find some logic in this.

Unless You want have other settings than this.

Playing emulator You can install game on HD and don't need it on CD. It have only some sense for real CD32 hardware.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, just in my opinion game is not designed for read only media. Having it on CD You lost chance e.g. to play it with friends (2 or 3 players option) or change map.

Edit 2: Also, instead playing with emulator on PC You can play native PC version which have better hi-res graphic...
People who use my CD collections, are those who either have a CD32 or use the ISO in an emulator without the hassle of setting up hdd images etc lets face it Amiga emulation isn’t the easiest for beginners, so anything to make it easier some people will take this route.

They also on average (as people have told me) will be playing to just reminisce and will just play for 30-60 mins and don’t care about having the ability to save (whilst you can if using an emulator).

And as i mentioned, the chance to play this game from CD is currently zero, it matters not one jot which starting level is selected as long as the ability to play is there, for those who must have certain conditions or names then this is not for them, logic has nothing to do with it, there simply is not a simple all for one solution for everyone.
Old 12 November 2020, 14:20   #20
haynor666
retro maniac

I hope will see updated slave someday.