English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 11 January 2020, 01:48   #1
lost_lemming

Can't boot into HDD workbench now! (ENV?)

I get a system request message saying "Please insert volume ENV in any drive"
Retry just asks the question again and Cancel just takes me into AmigaDOS saying "can't open file"

I can load workbench from floppy and everything is still there. but I don't want to have to have a floppy in the whole time, plus it some how took away my toosdeamon menu's so I can't have that!

for a bit of a backstory this is actually a newly installed harddrive (from a foreveramiga 6 disk set)... I accidentally formatted my entire HDD this week which was devastating.
Anyway as soon as I had all the workbench disks installed (you know, the extras, storage, fonts etc) I began just installing all my fave apps on there... mostly music stuff.
I think the last thing I put on was EasyADF. some programs I installed by hand so I was moving files (sort of half guessing) from its S's and C's and DEVs to the S's C's DEV's on the system which I remember I had to do to actually get programs to fire up. maybe I did somthing silly there. I know I replaced a "startup" file but I thought that would be ok. I don't really know what I'm doing half the time.

What is this ENV thing though? I even renamed a floppy disk to ENV to just try and trick it as revenge but it then said it couldn't find a file or something so that didn't work.
Old 11 January 2020, 09:47   #2
thomas

ENV is a virtual drive which holds environment variables and various temporary settings. It is normally assigned to a directory in Ram Disk early in the boot process.

There are two statup scripts in the S directory which are essential for starting the Amiga:
startup-sequence
user-startup

Startup-sequence is a system file, it should not be touched by average users. Editing it is for experienced users only. You should replace it only if you really know what you are doing.

User-startup, as the name suggests, is for user additions. Entries there are usually added automatically by the installation of apps. But you can add your own entries there, too, if you know what you do.

If user-startup failed, the symptoms would be different, so it's probably startup-sequence you replaced. I think the original one is on the Workbench disk, so boot with the Workbench floppy (not the Install floppy) and copy S/Startup-Sequence from the floppy to your hdd.
Old 11 January 2020, 10:03   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Make sure you haven't renamed the ' Prefs ' folder.
Old 11 January 2020, 10:16   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't think he has the startup-sequence assignment.

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Old 11 January 2020, 18:14   #5
lost_lemming

you legends! thanks a lot guys, back to normal now!