English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 September 2022, 00:35   #421
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I played Quake on a Pentium 60 in 1996 and friends of mine played it on 486 in that year. None of us had any dedicated graphics cards. A year later on a Pentium 200 Quake II would be something else until that machine got a Voodoo 2 card and then Quake II would again be something else. I'm not doing a great job at selling how much tech advanced between 1994 and 1997, am I?
Friendly reminder, this thread is about TF1260 ;-)
Old 25 October 2022, 17:42   #422
rabidgerry

Has anyone come up with a decent solution to cooling? I tried the little blower fan to the side near the floppy disk slot but I really don't think it's cooling the cpu much.

Also bought a tiny 30mm x 30mm raspberry pi fan that I was near certain would fit under the keyboard in my desktop case but I was wrong about that. The cpu would need to be a further 1cm back from the keyboard. It's only 7mm thick too!

Interested to see if anyone has something efficient fitted yet.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 25 October 2022 at 18:12. Reason: edited cause I gave wrong size of fan
Old 25 October 2022, 18:06   #423
Daedalus

I milled down a fairly substantial heatsink in order to get it to fit under the keyboard and around the corner of the floppy drive. I then mounted a 40mm fan behind it, between the floppy power and data cables. It works pretty well, lowers the temperature of the CPU by about 20 degrees at 94MHz. But it's definitely not an off-the-shelf solution
Old 25 October 2022, 18:14   #424
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I milled down a fairly substantial heatsink in order to get it to fit under the keyboard and around the corner of the floppy drive. I then mounted a 40mm fan behind it, between the floppy power and data cables. It works pretty well, lowers the temperature of the CPU by about 20 degrees at 94MHz. But it's definitely not an off-the-shelf solution
Any pics for copycats? I also had a theory about having another fan sucking air out of the case mounted to the back of the slots on the top rear of the desktop wedge, but I dunno how useful that would be. I was thinking along the lines of air coming in air going out etc.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 25 October 2022 at 18:19.
Old 25 October 2022, 18:29   #425
Daedalus

This is it:

http://robthenerd.com/misc/tf1260cooler.jpg

The fan is mounted on a small aluminium bracket that fits underneath the floppy drive and mounts using the spare screw hole on the side of the drive, and is directed towards the heatsink. I can't use the IDE port on the TF 1260 of course, but allowances could always be made for that too if I needed.

Sucking air out isn't likely to work well in an A1200 because there are so many ventilation spaces in the case. You'll get very little airflow over the CPU because so much of the air will come from elsewhere.
Old 25 October 2022, 18:45   #426
wiz12

Nice solution Daedalus, how did you manage to cut the heatsink at an angle so cleanly and is there enough clearance to solder in an angled IDE header?
Old 25 October 2022, 18:59   #427
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
This is it:

http://robthenerd.com/misc/tf1260cooler.jpg

The fan is mounted on a small aluminium bracket that fits underneath the floppy drive and mounts using the spare screw hole on the side of the drive, and is directed towards the heatsink. I can't use the IDE port on the TF 1260 of course, but allowances could always be made for that too if I needed.

Sucking air out isn't likely to work well in an A1200 because there are so many ventilation spaces in the case. You'll get very little airflow over the CPU because so much of the air will come from elsewhere.
Shite! My cpld heatsinks won't allow for that size of heatsink as they are too tall. I thought I was great cutting them own to size but yet their too tall to allow for a heatsink on the CPU.

Fantastic solution btw and thank you for sharing .

Ahh right I see. I though bugger all air got into the Amiga Case, so I'm actually relived to know this. Thought all those holes were for show. Do you have your Amiga raised a little? Just I have a trapdoor cover that is very holy indeed so again more air into the case I guess. But I'd need the Amiga on a little stand or something to make the most of it I reckon.
Old 25 October 2022, 20:20   #428
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Nice solution Daedalus, how did you manage to cut the heatsink at an angle so cleanly and is there enough clearance to solder in an angled IDE header?
Thanks! I have a small milling machine that I can use for cutting things like this. There might just be clearance for a right angled connector, but a better solution might be to just have the heatsink offset left by about 15mm, or cut a gap in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Shite! My cpld heatsinks won't allow for that size of heatsink as they are too tall. I thought I was great cutting them own to size but yet their too tall to allow for a heatsink on the CPU.
Mine's probably excessive to be fair, but it's one I had lying around so it's what I used. A 60mm wide cooper should be able to avoid the CLPDs.

Quote:
Fantastic solution btw and thank you for sharing .
Thanks

Quote:
Ahh right I see. I though bugger all air got into the Amiga Case, so I'm actually relived to know this. Thought all those holes were for show.
The case is designed for convection cooling - warm air moves up and back, drawing cold air in through the vents at the bottom of the front edge. It's slow moving, but perfectly fine for the standard machine, or even stock '060s.
Quote:
Do you have your Amiga raised a little?
I do indeed, but that's more because it's on my test bench than any cooling reason. My trapdoor cover's original. There's not a lot of airflow involved, so once there's a little clearance under the machine (as there would be with the original rubber feet on a hard surface) it should get as much air as it would if it was raised up. Just don't put it on the carpet
Old 25 October 2022, 23:11   #429
eXeler0

Btw, here's a video I made when I replaced a full rev 6 060 with an LC 060 on a TF1260 and then did some testing of the LC based card.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 October 2022, 00:13   #430
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Btw, here's a video I made when I replaced a full rev 6 060 with an LC 060 on a TF1260 and then did some testing of the LC based card.
[ Show youtube player ]
Oh excellent stuff! How did you know I was thinking of getting an LC as my fun time, less expensive run around CPU? When I heard these can do 94mhz I became interested since they are cheap. In saying this I have yet to find them for sale. Any recommendations?
Old 26 October 2022, 00:25   #431
eXeler0

Quote:
Oh excellent stuff! How did you know I was thinking of getting an LC as my fun time, less expensive run around CPU? When I heard these can do 94mhz I became interested since they are cheap. In saying this I have yet to find them for sale. Any recommendations?
I got a couple of LCs from this seller a while ago:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16557359249...QAAOSwgmtaPhAI
Old 26 October 2022, 11:19   #432
rabidgerry

Does anyone know if any of the numbers on these LC 060's masks denote their speed capability at all? Like I see 68LC060RC66, 68LC060RC50 and 68LC060RC75 variants and I wondered what that meant.
Old 26 October 2022, 11:46   #433
Jope
-

The last two numbers are the speed capability, but any 060 you see from China these days has been resurfaced and remarked by the seller, so they are probably all 50MHz parts. Just buy one and see how fast it goes if you want to have an LC 060.
Old 26 October 2022, 12:09   #434
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I bought a TF with an LC 060 but would like to exchange it to a full 060. planning to use on 50 MHz, so a rev1 should be great... how much these costs nowadays?
Old 26 October 2022, 13:08   #435
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The last two numbers are the speed capability, but any 060 you see from China these days has been resurfaced and remarked by the seller, so they are probably all 50MHz parts. Just buy one and see how fast it goes if you want to have an LC 060.
Well that's the plan, just as an experimental CPU really. Just didn't know how regimented those numbers where and if I needed to get one with 75 on it to stand a chance of overclocking. I'll pick one up soon and have a play around. Need a CPU removal tool like eXeler0 has in his video.
Old 26 October 2022, 15:38   #436
klx300r

@ rabidgerry

Those are being sold over at AmiBay.
Old 26 October 2022, 19:30   #437
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ rabidgerry

Those are being sold over at AmiBay.
Yea, I got it on Amibay probably a couple of years ago, but I think they are sold out now? But, yea its a nice tool to have. Tried to find other sources, but its not your most common tool to find out there..
There's a "intel 309178-001" -tool that should work the same, but not easy to find.
Old 26 October 2022, 19:46   #438
wiz12

Mouser has one left in stock (Part no: 58113-5) but it's not cheap.
Old 26 October 2022, 20:18   #439
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Mouser has one left in stock (Part no: 58113-5) but it's not cheap.
it's like £100 on mouser and £20 on Amibay

@Daedalus how to you monitor the temperature?

Does your clockport gizmo allow you to monitor the cpu temp?

I have considered the Amigakit option built into their RTC module.
Old 26 October 2022, 20:34   #440
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:

@Daedalus how to you monitor the temperature?
He uses Solas. He invented it