English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 November 2007, 22:59   #1
CU_AMiGA
Banned

CU_AMiGA Hack-Attack! A4000 Tower Conversion

Hi

I was wondering whether it was possible hacking a Amiga 4000 motherboard and the Micronik A4000 busboard into a random custom tower! How and how easy would it be?

Cheers

Last edited by CU_AMiGA; 24 November 2007 at 12:58.
Old 23 November 2007, 01:28   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

As to the specifics I have no idea but I can assure you this kind of modding gets under you skin in an often frustrating kind of way.

Generally:
-Measure the H+W+D of your main components all plugged together.
(in my case a quick eyeballing)
-Pick your lucky soon-to-be-modded case & measure for size.
-Carefully measure & remeasure & mark everything that needs 'changing'.
-Go at it v. carefully with Dremmel & drill - periodically rechecking measurements and how the fit is coming on.
(in my case a quick eyeballing followed by: POWER-TOOLS!!!)

Specifics?
-Your hardware should be fine for size in most towers but the mobo mounting posts will all be in the wrong place. Try to get a tower with those nice little metal screw-in standoffs.
Why? When you work out where they should be... drill a small pilot-hole then put the metal stand-off in the chuck of the drill... One quick zap later and it's either well-secured or you've lost an eye!
Also you can adjust the stand-off height by screwing a couple together, using differing lengths and washers. (a hammer may be of use for smaller 'adjustments')
-When measuring the mobo position do it with the zorro riser in place and at least one card attached. That will be a big help in lining up the zorro cards with the PCI slots at the back, so minimize cutting later. (at the worst you can always cut one BIG hole and claim better ventilation)
-Try to find piccies of pukka A4000 towers for pointers in your own conversion. (AFAIA: all after-market towers are butchered PC ones)
-Even with the most careful of planning you will need a few extenders given not all A4000 mobo connectors are on the back edge. (again AFAIA: these can all be bought if you don't fancy the soldering)
-Your (probably ATX) PSU will need modding. Not at all difficult and there are guides both here and elsewhere for the details.
-You will most likely also need longer drive-cables, LED-connectors, and give some thought to: A4000 keyboard+mouse or adapters for PC versions.

Important points:
-Do it right first time! If you must, plastic can be repaired. But once you've buggered metal it stays buggered.
-You only get two eyes and ten fingers!

-Try to pick a cool-looking box and subtly 'miggfy' it so everything looks like it belongs together. IMO: I've yet to see a towered miggy not by C= that didn't look like a plain sh1t PC! (boring on the eye and 'typically PC' mismatched components)
Go for quality and something 'way-cool with lots of LED's' or at least unusual. You may even find a real gem by trawling fleaBay for old business server/worstation boxes.
eg: Both Sun and HP have made some really interesting cases that won't immediately shout 'Miggy in a PC box!'.
(please don't buy a NeXTcube or BeBox with butchery in mind!)

Have fun - It's really not hard, just takes a bit of time.

I look forward to seeing the result.

Last edited by Charlie; 23 November 2007 at 14:40.
Old 25 November 2007, 17:51   #3
CU_AMiGA
Banned

if i have the balls to do this. i have almost null drill skills. i was thinking about looks for a big tower in the style of an a3000t or an old a2000 tower kit. i will need to think this one thru. i can get hold of a micronik loose busboard. its just whether or not i will go thru with this. i have looked on aminet 2 and one or 2 projects there look pleasing.
Old 25 November 2007, 22:14   #4
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Honestly have a go - all you have to loose is whatever tower you decide to butcher...
...ah, and your fingers...
...maybe an eye or two...
...um, possibly your mobo if you've been drilling & forget to ground yourself before trying it for size...

...I'm not selling this well am I..?

Sad attempt @ humor aside it's surprising how much of a cock of this you'd have to make & not end up with a 'good system'. It really is 'just' a matter of taking your time.

On a previous build I cut the end off a brand-new GFX card & chopped up an AGP riser to make things fit...
...Ooo, the smell of burning fiberglass...
...and it still worked!
Old 25 November 2007, 22:21   #5
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

TBH:
You really don't need much in the way of tools:
Buy a Dremmel, a metal ruler, some Gel Superglue, and a tube of Powergrab. (I kid you not)

In the Dremmel box will be some assorted cutting discs, a couple of 'grinders' and a drill-bit or two...
...more than enough!
Old 25 November 2007, 22:28   #6
CU_AMiGA
Banned

well i will look for a big tower that will require as little work as posible! if i cant find a tower kit!
Old 25 November 2007, 22:46   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i noticed this one earlier my friend

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-A4000-At...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 25 November 2007, 23:49   #8
CU_AMiGA
Banned

hhhmm yeah i noticed that too. not sure about that or not. it is a tower, but doesn't have extra zorro/isa slots. i will need to think about that one! thanks.
Old 27 November 2007, 18:58   #9
CU_AMiGA
Banned

yo!

right got 2 possible candidates here:

tower one:

tower two:

dimensions: (W)40cm (H)83cm (D)65cm

both good towers, but 2 looks the better. more than enough room. i got pics of the back of both too. do this look compatible with amiga (with hacking). the important thing to me is the towers have room for more than 4, they both have 7 which is perfect for the possible micronik a4000 busboard i may get. so anyone, a step in the right direction?

regards

Last edited by CU_AMiGA; 27 November 2007 at 19:17.
Old 27 November 2007, 20:03   #10
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi,
Good towers
The second looks easier to mod for your purposes as the the bit holding the PCI slots looks detachable.

Um, a couple of thoughts:
Hurcules Tower
7-Slot backplane (as you hoped) - I've not seen enough details to know how 'moddable'.

Shinobi Tower
I know even less about this one - I think this one would look good with an Amiga logo on it. Especially with few LED's & some UV-reactive perspex behind the grill...
...ok, getting a little out of control now.

or??

Old 28 November 2007, 18:07   #11
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Damn! Found a flaw with the 2nd tower. it looks as tho the motherboard will clash with the psu cos the psu is located at a lower position and i dont think it'll be easay to get around it. tower 1 is gonna end too high for wot i'm willing to pay for. the hunt continues...