English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 24 February 2003, 13:27   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Wanted: Xenon 2 (Specific version)

Has anyone got the version of Xenon 2 where the title music gradually starts and the rhythm king logo zooms onto the screen?
If so could you 'zone' it for me please?

I can only find the version where the music just kicks straight in.

Cheers
Old 24 February 2003, 14:18   #2
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

in the zone

you can use any of the xenon 2 disk 2's with it
Old 24 February 2003, 15:26   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Cheers Belgarath youre a superstar!

Any self respecting 'Bitmap Bros Whore'TM has to have this version.

WHAT A TUNE!
Old 05 March 2003, 22:06   #4
Titler
Zone Friend

Just as a matter of interest...

I had that version of Xenon, it's a single disc, pre-production batch, which was sent to me when I returned a version which didn't work; but I was never able to make a working .adf of it Just thought I'd mention it... much better than the 2 disc versions if you ask me!
Old 08 August 2012, 23:27   #5
Titler
Zone Friend

Nearly 10 years of idleness... arise from your grave, thread!

On a nostalgia trip, I've spent an afternoon cross checking things I could add to the Amiga archives, and I remembered this post; I couldn't see the single disc version with the above introduction hosted anywhere online again, is it possible to upload it once more please?

The game I had returned to me has a white label stuck to it with the following information;

"Pre-Production Sample

Title > Xenon 2
Computer > Amiga
Customer > Kixx Software
Date > 9 / 8 / 1996 (this may be the date they requested a replacement copy from the duplicators?)
Disk > 1 of 1

Harcourt, Halesfield 14, Telford, Shropshire TF7 4QR
Tel. (01952) 680131, ext .255 Fax. (01952) 583501"

Is it worth trying to send this to Prowler or someone with the ability to make working .adfs for the TOSEC files do you think?
Old 08 August 2012, 23:42   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titler View Post
I had that version of Xenon, it's a single disc, pre-production batch, which was sent to me when I returned a version which didn't work; but I was never able to make a working .adf of it Just thought I'd mention it... much better than the 2 disc versions if you ask me!
Why (in your opinion) weren't you able to make a working .adf of it?

Quote:
The game I had returned to me has a white label stuck to it with the following information;

"Pre-Production Sample

Title > Xenon 2
Computer > Amiga
Customer > Kixx Software
Date > 9 / 8 / 1996 (this may be the date they requested a replacement copy from the duplicators?)
Disk > 1 of 1

Harcourt, Halesfield 14, Telford, Shropshire TF7 4QR
Tel. (01952) 680131, ext .255 Fax. (01952) 583501"

Is it worth trying to send this to Prowler or someone with the ability to make working .adfs for the TOSEC files do you think?
Yes, Prowler (provided your answer to the above question doesn't involve copy protection).
Old 09 August 2012, 00:28   #7
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Why (in your opinion) weren't you able to make a working .adf of it?
You had a crack at a number of my discs um... 2 years ago, gawd time is passing so quickly, I'm getting old! Anyway, some of which worked, I believe because you were able to recover data that I couldn't get off my original attempts with just basic 3.5" drives and Disk2FDI... so it could be the same issue again.

Quote:
Yes, Prowler (provided your answer to the above question doesn't involve copy protection).
That I cannot answer now though, it's over 10 years ago that I tried to crack my own .adfs, and I don't seem to have the non-working .adf file any more despite being a terrible hoarder of data (I saved a few games like Supaplex, which had highscores or stats etc, in case later emulation ever was able to read them).

The Xenon 2 disc looks like this;

I'm happy to post it to you; is it still the Sidcup address? (yes I keep my few PMs too :P)

I also found two missing Amiga Actions, issues 70 and 77 (I was desperate for games and coverage after Amiga Power folded, but those are the only two I ever bought I SWEAR TO IT) which, although battered, I'm going to scan over the week for AMR...

You converted one of the discs in the thread earlier, Demon for Issue 70, and and after going through all my original boxes, I've found at least the original for one more, a demo for ITS Cricket (non-playable) for Issue 77, which AMR has apparently the wrong cover for. I cannot guarantee the demo is still on there though, as it was in another games box, so I may have used it as a data disc... but I'll include that for you too if you wish.

Sadly I cannot see the Disc 1 for Issue 70 nor Disc 2 for 77 even peering under the stickers of all the other discs I could find, so I have no idea what happened to them.
Old 09 August 2012, 00:38   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm happy to post [the Xenon 2 disk] to you; is it still the Sidcup address? (yes I keep my few PMs too :P)

I also found two missing Amiga Actions, issues 70 and 77 (I was desperate for games and coverage after Amiga Power folded, but those are the only two I ever bought I SWEAR TO IT) which, although battered, I'm going to scan over the week for AMR...

You converted one of the discs in the thread earlier, Demon for Issue 70, and and after going through all my original boxes, I've found at least the original for one more, a demo for ITS Cricket (non-playable) for Issue 77, which AMR has apparently the wrong cover for. I cannot guarantee the demo is still on there though, as it was in another games box, so I may have used it as a data disc... but I'll include that for you too if you wish.

Sadly I cannot see the Disc 1 for Issue 70 nor Disc 2 for 77 even peering under the stickers of all the other discs I could find, so I have no idea what happened to them.
You are welcome to send me any or all of the above disks for imaging, and the address you have is still valid.

It's possible that I have the missing Disk 1 for Amiga Action 70 and Disc 2 for Issue 77 (I do have quite a few of those) with which I can fill the gaps. I'll have a look tomorrow.

It goes without saying that I'll return the disks to you afterwards, whether I'm successful or not.
Old 09 August 2012, 00:54   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Surely thats simply the 1 Disk Kixx version that SPS have already preserved?
Old 09 August 2012, 01:07   #10
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Surely thats simply the 1 Disk Kixx version that SPS have already preserved?
I'm not sure on that Gala, as I've not got a very wide range of naughty sites that I use, and I'm not too good with the technical side of things; most single disc versions I've seen are the [cr VF] ones, which don't have the differing music intro the original post here was about. I've simply gone through my huge box of discs and grabbed what I thought might be of interest, but if he SPS version has already preserved the same code, then hurrah!

I suppose I should ask here then now you knowledgeable types are about; are the blanks on the Amiga Magazine Rack coverdisc lists genuinely missing, or just not uploaded there yet? If they aren't lost, then I don't want to waste Prowlers time by getting him to copy even more!
Old 09 August 2012, 01:16   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I'm not sure on that Gala, as I've not got a very wide range of naughty sites that I use, and I'm not too good with the technical side of things; most single disc versions I've seen are the [cr VF] ones, which don't have the differing music intro the original post here was about. I've simply gone through my huge box of discs and grabbed what I thought might be of interest, but if he SPS version has already preserved the same code, then hurrah!

I suppose I should ask here then now you knowledgeable types are about; are the blanks on the Amiga Magazine Rack coverdisc lists genuinely missing, or just not uploaded there yet? If they aren't lost, then I don't want to waste Prowlers time by getting him to copy even more!
The VF version is the same as the Quartex 2 disk version, except VF didn't include the intro.

The Kixx budget re-release was never cracked, and I very much doubt it would fit on one AmigaDOS disk, its a shitload of data on the disk.
Old 09 August 2012, 02:03   #12
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
The VF version is the same as the Quartex 2 disk version, except VF didn't include the intro.

The Kixx budget re-release was never cracked, and I very much doubt it would fit on one AmigaDOS disk, its a shitload of data on the disk.
Well, as far as I can recall from actually playing it back in the 90s, the original Kixx disc for me on my actual A500 crashed at some point after the intro, perhaps at trying to load a later level because I can remember being very impressed the pre-prod disc I got back was much, much better music-wise (including the vocal samples which the Kixx intro originally didn't have, as well as the mentioned Rhythm King logo). But you know what memory is like, and because I can't run it via emulation now I could be entirely wrong... but as I posted back in 2003, I think my replacement disc matched it. I just don't know if it's the one you know of Gala ... can you upload the SPS version to the zone and I'll check?

They sent me back the original Kixx disc as well though, so if people think it's worth Prowler having a crack at both 1 disc versions, I'll send it over. As well as this AA disc in case it's genuinely lost until now.

He can also try and make a working adf from my old version of Supaplex too, so I can just get those stats back :P
Old 09 August 2012, 07:58   #13
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Cheers Belgarath youre a superstar!

Any self respecting 'Bitmap Bros Whore'TM has to have this version.

WHAT A TUNE!
[ Show youtube player ]

Old 09 August 2012, 10:30   #14
BarryB
Amigaholic

Didn't 'Ice & Fire: The Wizards' on the ST have the same music?
Old 09 August 2012, 10:46   #15
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

If in doubt, make a KryoFlux dump and we'll check...
Old 09 August 2012, 21:48   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Quote:
It's possible that I have the missing Disk 1 for Amiga Action 70 and Disc 2 for Issue 77 (I do have quite a few of those) with which I can fill the gaps. I'll have a look tomorrow.
I can't tell if I have these disks or not, as the Issue number does not appear on the disk label and very often neither does the date!

It would help considerably if you could provide details of the disks' contents or a quick scan of the labels from the pages of the magazines if you have them.
Old 09 August 2012, 22:08   #17
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@gibs Awesome!

This is an o-l-d thread!
Old 09 August 2012, 22:31   #18
Titler
Zone Friend

Issue 70; Only missing disc (thanks to your earlier work) is Disc 1: Two games, "Kwok's Game" main title, "PM3 Multi-Editor" (Slideshow, gawd even the demos were crap back then"!

Issue 77; Missing Disc 2, "Scramble", "Galaxians". You can see the image of a test scan of the cover over in AMR submissions, I'm working on scanning the rest of the magazine now... slow work!
Old 09 August 2012, 22:40   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Issue 70; Only missing disc (thanks to your earlier work) is Disc 1: Two games, "Kwok's Game" main title, "PM3 Multi-Editor" (Slideshow, gawd even the demos were crap back then"!

Issue 77; Missing Disc 2, "Scramble", "Galaxians". You can see the image of a test scan of the cover over in AMR submissions, I'm working on scanning the rest of the magazine now... slow work!
Thanks.

I can't promise anything. Those titles don't ring a bell, but that information will certainly help. I'll have another look tomorrow.
Old 10 August 2012, 22:39   #20
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'm sorry, mate. I don't have either of these disks.

Actually, I don't have as many as I'd thought, though several are duplicated.