English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 02 May 2012, 01:02   #1
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Post FS-UAE Translations

FS-UAE and FS-UAE Launcher can be translated to other languages (than the default English), and the translations are included with every FS-UAE download.

The translation system is the standard GNU gettext system. You translate the program by editing a po file for the language in question, either in a text editor, or much better: poEdit - http://www.poedit.net. Using poEdit or similar is highly recommended as it will ensure that the character encoding is correct etc. Also, you won't mess up the file by accident

If anyone wants to translate FS-UAE to a new language, please post a message here with the language (and country) before starting to translate, and I will send you an empty translation file specifically for that language (with correct plural settings, etc).

The following translations are currently maintained:
Changes or suggestions to translations for the maintained languages should be sent to the respective email adresses above (or posted here).

More information about translating FS-UAE can be found at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/localization.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 12 November 2012 at 01:38. Reason: Updated information after release of FS-UAE 2.0
Old 02 May 2012, 01:06   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Po-file for German is attached (in a zip file), it is primarily meant for nexusle, who wants to localize FS-UAE to German.
EDIT: oh, and nexusle, you send the file back to me when it is translated, and it will be bundled in compiled form with the following FS-UAE release
Attached Files
File Type: zip de.po.zip (963 Bytes, 557 views)

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 May 2012 at 18:55.
Old 02 May 2012, 08:26   #3
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
will try to traduce to french

done, see attached file (French/France)
Attached Files
File Type: zip fr.zip (2.4 KB, 490 views)

Last edited by Foul; 02 May 2012 at 09:43.
Old 02 May 2012, 12:19   #4
Speedvicio

Italian Translation.
Attached Files
File Type: zip it.zip (1.1 KB, 503 views)
Old 02 May 2012, 12:55   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Thank for for the translation files, Foul and Speedvicio -I'll process them after work today!
Old 02 May 2012, 16:56   #6
nexusle
Banned

German translation:

Last edited by nexusle; 27 January 2013 at 20:09.
Old 02 May 2012, 17:50   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Translations are looking good (well, the translation files, I don't know the languages well enough to say anything about the translations themselves )

A few of the translated texts are a bit long for the menu, but wait until 1.3.1, and you can check out if yourself. poEdit can also create a .mo file, so you can replace the compiled translation file and test the translations before sending corrections.

But now I have to go and update the bitmap font with more Western-European characters...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 May 2012 at 20:52.
Old 02 May 2012, 18:06   #8
nexusle
Banned

What do you think about modifying the font to looks like the Amiga TOPAZ font?!
Old 02 May 2012, 18:11   #9
Speedvicio

Latin based language are too long, you could create a scrolling text to visualize long translation.
Old 02 May 2012, 18:17   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
Latin based language are too long, you could create a scrolling text to visualize long translation.
Yes, this is of course possible, but more suitable for stuff like joystick devices names and floppy disk names. Permanent UI elements should be visible in full without scrolling. It should generally be possible to rephrase a bit or choose other words to convey the same meaning (more or less), while making the sentense a bit shorter.

Also, a part of the problem is that the font is quite wide (it is designed to look like the Lotus 2 font). Regarding other fonts (topaz), I'm not against that if the result looks good. I have reorganized the bitmap font bitmap a bit, so the characters in the upcoming 1.3.1 version is more nicer layed out (in a 16x16 grid). If someone wants to, it is easy to replace the characters and try out some alternatives (just open the .png in your favorite image editor).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 May 2012 at 18:23.
Old 02 May 2012, 18:25   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Most of the strings were OK though, just a few were too long, especially "Parallel Port Joysticks". Using this text as an example: if it cannot be translated in full in a shorter way, translating just "Parallel Port" will be good enough, since this is a heading in the input sub-menu anyway.
Old 02 May 2012, 18:31   #12
Speedvicio

Fixed short version Italian language:
Attached Files
File Type: zip it.zip (1.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 02 May 2012, 18:47   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
Fixed short version Italian language:
Sorry, you must base the changes on the revised po file in 1.3.1 (just released).

Also, now you'll be able to check the translations in FS-UAE before sending be updated po-files (if necessary).

If you are using poEdit, it has an option to compile the .po-file to a .mo-file (I'm not sure if this is the default setting or not). When you have saved in poEdit, you can copy the .mo-file and overwrite share/locale/LANGUAGE/LC_MESSAGES/fs-uae.mo, and then start FS-UAE to test your modifications!

Updated po-files to base the changes on can be found here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/po/fs-uae/

Also, thank you all for your work so far, and let me know if FS-UAE does not correctly pick up your locale on your computer.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 May 2012 at 21:29.
Old 02 May 2012, 19:17   #14
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
German translation:
I found a small bug in the German translation: "DF0%d: Leer" should be just DF%d: Leer

I can fix it myself of course, but in case you are planning to revise the translations, it will just be messy if we both create modified translation files. It is much easier if one person (per locale) is responsible for the translations.
Old 02 May 2012, 19:40   #15
nexusle
Banned

Yes! found this also!

Here the fixed .mo file (rename .zip to .mo):

Last edited by nexusle; 27 January 2013 at 20:10.
Old 02 May 2012, 19:44   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Yes! found this also!
Here the fixed .mo file (rename .zip to .mo):
Thanks, but it is the .po file I need
Old 02 May 2012, 19:51   #17
nexusle
Banned

no problem :-)

rename to .po

Last edited by nexusle; 27 January 2013 at 20:10.
Old 02 May 2012, 21:11   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
no problem :-)
rename to .po
Excellent, you are now the FS-UAE Regional Director of Germany with special responsibility for German translation (until you quit, of course) . I have set up fs-uae-de@fengestad.no which forwards to your email address, so it will be possible to post suggestions for translation changes to this adress (unless you protest, of course).

Similarly:
fs-uae-fr@fengestad.no (Foul)
fs-uae-it@fengestad.no (Speedvicio)

If you want to, you can use these email addresses in the po files instead of your real ones if you don't want your email addresses exposed in the source archive.

The latest, most up-to-date po-files will always be available here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/po/fs-uae/
(you should always download this before starting a new round of translation because new empty strings for translations may have been added in the meantime).

It is not necessary to keep the po files up to date at any time (you don't have to return po-files two hours after I have posted updated po-files needing translation if you have better things to do ) -but having translations in FS-UAE means that a new stable release will wait until all supported languages are fully translated before a new stable release is made.

Oh, and you can send po-files directly to fs-uae@fengestad.no (you don't have to zip and post there).
Old 02 May 2012, 23:22   #19
olesio

Can you send basic file for Polish (country Poland ofcourse) translation? I got lot of work last time, so if you reply after midnight I probable prepare translation later, but also I give link to this topic to Shoonay. He like to translating and know English better than me, so maybe he prepare final translation.
Old 02 May 2012, 23:32   #20
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesio View Post
Can you send basic file for Polish (country Poland ofcourse) translation? I got lot of work last time, so if you reply after midnight I probable prepare translation later, but also I give link to this topic to Shoonay. He like to translating and know English better than me, so maybe he prepare final translation.
You can download pl.po from here now:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/devel/po/fs-uae/

There is no rush to get it translated (there is a bit of time left until 1.4 ), so you don't have to do it immediately. When I get it, it will be part of the following development release. But I will only bundle it with FS-UAE stable releases if you, or Shoonay, or someone else want to maintain the Polish translation.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 06 October 2012 at 16:17. Reason: Changed po location