English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 15 February 2010, 09:41   #1
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

KryoFlux Public Beta 1.0 - AVAILABLE NOW!

KryoFlux is here... Finally!

If you have no idea what this is all about, please watch the brand new [ Show youtube player ].

Summary: Read your old disks using the KryoFlux USB adapter. Formats supported are: Acorn Electron, Apple, Amstrad CPC, Archimedes, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, BBC, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, MSX, IBM PC, PC-8801, Sam Coupe, Spectrum and many more.

Please download the public beta right here. This archive contains all software and drivers as well as the hardware schematics needed to make your own board!

More information is here: http://www.kryoflux.com

To get a board, please visit the shop here: http://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/

We're already out of stock, but new boards are being made soon.

A graphical user interface is currently in development, and will be made available as soon as we have something usable.

Last edited by mr.vince; 01 November 2010 at 22:19. Reason: Sync'ed with website version
Old 15 February 2010, 22:38   #2
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

BTW stay tuned on Twitter... if you like!

http://twitter.com/softpres
Old 15 February 2010, 22:46   #3
fryguy

Can you write ipfs with it?
Old 15 February 2010, 23:09   #4
fiath

Not yet, but that feature is planned. We're trying to take one step at a time

Last edited by fiath; 15 February 2010 at 23:14. Reason: Answered the wrong question :)
Old 15 February 2010, 23:18   #5
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

How about: Can I dump my disks with this so IPFs can be made by Softpres?

YES!

And you can make direct dumps to .ADF and many other formats!
Old 15 February 2010, 23:23   #6
fiath

Note that a graphical user interface is currently in development, and will be made available as soon as we have something usable.
Old 15 February 2010, 23:47   #7
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
Will it read / write Amiga HD disks and does it require an Amiga HD drive to do so?

Paul
Old 15 February 2010, 23:51   #8
IFW

Yes, it does read Amiga HD disks and detects them automatically.
It only requires a standard 3.5 PC drive to read any 3.5 media, or 5.25 drive for 5.25 media.
Old 16 February 2010, 03:27   #9
Loedown

I should think this will spell the end for Catweasel and perhaps remind Jens that updating the firmware / software may have been a good idea.

Any thoughts on prices yet and availability?

Paul
Old 16 February 2010, 04:52   #10
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
Yes, it does read Amiga HD disks and detects them automatically.
It only requires a standard 3.5 PC drive to read any 3.5 media, or 5.25 drive for 5.25 media.
Just to make sure I understand this (which will be no small feat. :-):

If I have it attached to my PC and have it attached to a standard PC HD 3.5" floppy, I can read and write Amiga 800K disks, and have them fairly reliably read on my Amiga (assuming I use real DSDD floppies)?

Similar for the 5 1/4's. I can use a HD 5 1/4" drive and have it write DSDD floppies for my 64?
(And my Apple II's and possibly Adam? Hmmm... I'll have to go to the electronics stores and find a PC 5 1/4" drive tho :-)

Sounds like a great project. Depending on price, I'll definitely be in for an assembled model. I can solder, but it's in everyone's best interest if I don't. :-)

Thanx for the update.

desiv

(and a timeframe would be great, but I can wait. I just got an A1200 and some stuff for it, so the farther out it is, the more likely my wife won't mind "another gadget". :-)
Old 16 February 2010, 04:57   #11
Pheonix

I can't wait for the pre-assembled models either Though I am wondering if a pre-assembled with drive(s) mounted would be available. What I would really like is a nice box with a USB cable, power adaptor (if necessary,) and both drives. Does anyone know if this would be possable, and if so, anyone out there planning on building and selling them? Thanks
Old 16 February 2010, 11:28   #12
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

The board should be small enough to fit into a standard external enclosure for SCSI harddisks or DVD ROM drives. At least the dev board already does, so if you drill a few holes to see the leds and have access to the reset button, this should not be an issue at all.

I bet there will be some clever chaps offering such modification for those who want to pay for this.

We're now working on getting the hardware done... still need a helping hand...
Old 16 February 2010, 11:43   #13
pmc
gone

Excellent work guys!

Hopefully this means I can finally kiss goodbye to that shitty Catweasel card. \o/
Old 16 February 2010, 11:50   #14
chiark
Needs a life

pcbexpress.com? As long as it's through hole it'll be fairly straightforward to assemble, I presume, so you could get local "manufacturers" (geeks) if the volume is low enough?
Old 16 February 2010, 12:42   #15
Loedown

It's not just through hole, has fine pitch processor, requires some definitive soldering skills. Looks like we'll all need to find our old 3.5 and 5.25 dual cables.

Last edited by mr.vince; 16 February 2010 at 14:42. Reason: Image removed, SPS will deliver one with better quality
Old 16 February 2010, 12:52   #16
Loedown

You should consider getting a proper run of them done, knowing full well that you'll sell at least 200, even if it's just for the SMD side of things, find a local house, get a simple stencil made up and away you go.

Otherwise I will offer my services in making some up, the only thing I want is one for myself as payment.

Paul
Old 16 February 2010, 14:51   #17
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Voilà, a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	kryo_board3.png
Views:	1754
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	24290

And yes, the ATMEL has a pitch of 0.5. I'd solder that by having a tinned board with flux (hehe) applied and then placing the processor on it, and gently swiping the iron over a row of contacts.

However, I am not sad if don't have to do this myself.
Old 16 February 2010, 14:54   #18
seuden
uber cool demi god

The Kry of Lux!! This is great news, congrats.
Old 16 February 2010, 20:55   #19
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Voilà, a picture:

Attachment 24290

And yes, the ATMEL has a pitch of 0.5. I'd solder that by having a tinned board with flux (hehe) applied and then placing the processor on it, and gently swiping the iron over a row of contacts.

However, I am not sad if don't have to do this myself.
If you have a previously tinned board, when you run the iron over it, then you will put tension on the pins , as each side will sink slightly, you may even get to the point of having one row of pins raised off the solder altogether.

Another suggestion is to bother some local electronic manufacturers, any that use stencils, when their stencils get a bit worn, they replace them, get any that have 0.5 dot pitch mask in the same pin count as the Atmel, and they are very common, then mask up any nearby holes with Kaplon tape and using something like a paint stripper, the metal bladed type, apply a small amount of solder paste to the screen and run the blade over it. Place the Atmel by hand, have two ovens, a small toaster type oven at around 100 degrees celcius and another at around 220 degrees celcius, use the first as preheat and second as reflow. It's fiddly, I know, but it will work. Failing that, just get the Atmel placed and reflowed prior to any other components, I have contacts here I could ask for prices, if you like?

Paul
Old 17 February 2010, 10:09   #20
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Paul, we're not denying any help. I think shipping and customs could be a hassle for larger quantities, but this might be a wonderful opportunity for people willing to wait a few days longer due to shipping and of course for people from Australia.

I've soldered SMD components like what I mentioned before, so it does work, but you are right... without correct pressure in the middle of the CPU, it can become problematic.

Again, if you can help... please do!

Thanks,
Chris