English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 March 2020, 22:41   #1
ptyerman

Time to avoid Amigakit

After watching the drama unfold over on Amiga.org in this thread: https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=74555.30
specially the last page.
And reading snippets elsewhere over the last few months, perhaps it's time to ignore Amigakit and spend the money with any other Amiga dealer.
They are extremely slow and ignore communication too which is a no no for me.
This shit has to stop, full stop!
Old 08 March 2020, 22:49   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am not a friend of bringing flamewars from other forums here.
Old 08 March 2020, 22:54   #3
ptyerman

Neither am I but it's a subject others should be aware of!
I'm not a member of amiga.org anyway, I just read the posts there and elsewhere every other day.
That's just the forum post I chose, there is plenty of other comments elsewhere if you care to look.
Old 08 March 2020, 22:58   #4
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

<removed>

Last edited by Hedeon; 09 March 2020 at 00:06. Reason: ..
Old 09 March 2020, 00:01   #5
Chucky

it all started with a post on facebook in the "Commodore amiga" group where it was brought to attention that amigakit have registred amigapassion.com and redirected it to THEIR site.

So people looking for Steve. would be directed to amigakit for the repair they wanted.

While this was disucussing. I worked with some recaps here at home. one machine was a 1200 in a A1200.net case. that was bought from amigakit. i noticed a sticker on it more or less giving Amigakit the credit for the case..

confronted amigakit on amiga.org about this (as the thread have started already) and the response from amigakit was.. to the least say. interesting..

I made a post about it IF the thread gets deleted so it is archived:

http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=953

I have now made it clear that I have put my last order at amigakit. we do not need this. and there are other dealers out there to get our hardware from.

sad.. really sad!

However . I think this is too important to just let to be "forgotten" as register a competitors domain and redirect to you... is.. well. "not ok"

Last edited by lilalurl; 09 March 2020 at 18:22.
Old 09 March 2020, 01:56   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

Chucky I was looking at the screenshots on your site and it mentions that AmigaKit registered Amiga 1200? or was it A1200? or both?!?! So all future reference we do of Amiga 1200 we have to refer to Amigakit ?!!?!
Old 09 March 2020, 05:17   #7
MrDBUG

I think they registered A1200. I have to say I am disappointed with AmigaKit over the past two years or so. They used to be fairly fast and extremely reliable and never let me down, but when I ordered my last order - it was a Gotek preflashed, it took VERY long to get it, I was ok with that as we had agreed I'd wait till they got the proper OLED part back in store - but then when I got the Gotek it turned out the rotary selector didnt work ! I opened it up .... and THEY HAD SOLDERED IT TO THE FLOPPY PINS !!! Im sorry AmigaKit I cant sit on this news ! One row up from the two pins they were supposed to be soldered to. Luckily I dont think I damaged my Amiga1200 .. I was going to use it as an external Gotek. As I cant solder for the life of me myself, I managed to cut the wires and use dupont cables spliced to the original wires to connect the rotary knob. (on the topside pins,instead of underneath.) It works .. but I still just HOPE that there is no short round the point they were soldered. Shouldnt be as it works now .. ? I mentioned it to them on messenger and they were slightly surprised it had gotten through quality control. I believe I asked If I could have an exchange as I cant solder myself. But its really hopeless when Im in a different country. So I didnt hear back and I didnt contact them either. BUT THEY MUST BE OVERWORKED ! They used to be a pretty ok shop ! I've shopped with them for more than 12 years ! PLEASE AMIGAKIT - SHAPE up your act ! It can't end like this !!
Old 09 March 2020, 06:56   #8
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Chucky I was looking at the screenshots on your site and it mentions that AmigaKit registered Amiga 1200? or was it A1200? or both?!?! So all future reference we do of Amiga 1200 we have to refer to Amigakit ?!!?!
They have registered A1200 anyway. Will try to dig up a list.
But apparently they did register a1200 to completly rebadge the cases...
Old 09 March 2020, 06:57   #9
grond

It is absolutely normal and legal that goods are relabeled. It happens all the time. The original manufacturer got paid for the cases, why the drama?
Old 09 March 2020, 07:00   #10
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

For what it’s worth;
I’ve ordered simple stuff like a memory expansion, some floppy switches and other stuff over two orders the last couple of months. Normal pending time has been about 10 days before it gets picked. I don’t think that is unfair waiting time. We are dealing with retro stuff and it won’t go anywhere.
I’ve been waiting a lot longer for A1200.net’s cases and key caps in comparison...
Old 09 March 2020, 07:13   #11
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
It is absolutely normal and legal that goods are relabeled. It happens all the time. The original manufacturer got paid for the cases, why the drama?
if you read the forum. a1200.net was never ok with it.. and when rebrand (OEM) they need to have a agreement.

and it also doesn't explain the fact they registered a domainname of a competitor (amigapassion) and redirected to themselves.
Old 09 March 2020, 08:03   #12
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
if you read the forum. a1200.net was never ok with it.. and when rebrand (OEM) they need to have a agreement.
No, they need not have an agreement to allow rebranding. If rebranding is _not_ to be allowed, it needs to be stated in the purchase contract.
Old 09 March 2020, 08:55   #13
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I’m not a fan of seeing disagreements between Amiga stalwarts aired live on forums.
They are loaded with the posters bias and often turn toxic.
More harm is caused to all parties.
Ultimately motivation is damaged and we all lose out.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:10   #14
Chucky

Thing is how to handle it. ?

like te thing that they take a domain. Amigapassion and links it to them?

and the case-thing is a different one. it just came in as "oh btw did you see this" and it confirmed my fears of why they did register alot of Amiga-ralted phrases. so they can take it as their thing..

but maybe they need to do this as salves might be dropping? then they feel the need to get dirty..

Last edited by Chucky; 09 March 2020 at 09:37.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:16   #15
trixster
Guru Meditating

It’s a pretty sad state of affairs. My cash will be going elsewhere from now on.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:47   #16
LongLifeA1200

Private messaging AmigaKit directly on that forum might be the only way to get an answer regarding outstanding overdue orders.

In general, it's not okay to pretend that items are in stock and hold a customer's order indefinitely.

Registering an almost-identical domain name to redirect customers away from a "competitor" is a lousy thing to do.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:58   #17
Chucky

And I get the feeling this is just the beginning..

they had amigastore.com aswell. saying that they had it registered since 2008. fair enogh. but webarchive tells that amigastore.com was a site with links to stores. and in 2018 suddenlty was redirected to amigakit. I find that... interesting aswell
Old 09 March 2020, 10:06   #18
Gordon
Settler

If this was another type of business ouside Amiga, would you be so outraged? This sort of thing happens all the time. Its called "trying to muscle in some one elses business". If it was McBurgerKit who had a succesful business and BurgerPassion comes along with it fancy named burgers, McBurgerKit will do what it can to stop them growing, even if it means upseting a few because they know the majority trust their reputation.

I am not condoning any of this, but it happens all the time.
Old 09 March 2020, 10:15   #19
Chucky

well this community is too damn small for that shit!
Old 09 March 2020, 10:16   #20
trixster
Guru Meditating

@Gordon I get your point, but the thing is I don’t give a monkeys about McBurgerKit and BurgerPassion, but I do give many monkeys about what’s going on in the Amiga community, and I dont like the way this feels.

My purchase choices are based on my opinion. So unless some more information comes to light which shows another side to the story, I’ll take my cash elsewhere. Not good.

Last edited by trixster; 09 March 2020 at 10:56.