English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 March 2021, 11:40   #1
LongLifeA1200

CRT Televisions are still being thrown out!

It's amazing to still see CRT Televisions (some in excellent condition & quality) on the side of the road these days. They need to be rescued.
Old 16 March 2021, 11:50   #2
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
It's amazing to still see CRT Televisions (some in excellent condition & quality) on the side of the road these days. They need to be rescued.
7 years ago me and my dad left a 32'' Trinitron next to the bin (but on a clean space so it could be picked up).

The image had been turning orange for a while until it completely stopped working. The TV didn't last 10 min next to the bin. Someone snatched it up fast. If it was an easy fix it's a TV of immense value. It was a backbreaking process of taking that fat mammoth to the bin.
Old 16 March 2021, 12:03   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Well, most people with CRTs don't use them on retro computer hardware, so they see no point to them. They could sell them on Ebay, but most don't bother, they think NO-ONE wants them, which is most likely the mindset of old people.

And why should they? These people have probably been using the CRTs for DVD players and so on, and may be want to join the new HD world of streaming devices. Last time I checked, CRTs, especially televisions, aren't HD, don't have HDMI, and certainly aren't smart. And chances are their old DVD players probably finally conked out as well, so they're looking to upgrade and see what the fuss is all about with the endless adverts on TV bombarding them.
Old 16 March 2021, 13:20   #4
LongLifeA1200

They are heavy. I tend to forget how heavy they are whenever I try to pick one up. The other thing is weight distribution. One fell forward during transport. That was disappointing.
Old 16 March 2021, 13:49   #5
zipper

About 190 pounds was my Trinitron...
Old 16 March 2021, 13:51   #6
robinsonb5

They also take up a *lot* of space, which many people are simply not prepared to devote to a TV or monitor.

(The same thing applies to pianos!)
Old 16 March 2021, 13:58   #7
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
(The same thing applies to pianos!)
Grand pianos or electronic keyboards?

Quote:
They also take up a *lot* of space.
Depends on how big you want the TV to be.
Old 16 March 2021, 14:35   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Bulky heavy monsters.
Old 16 March 2021, 14:47   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
It was a backbreaking process of taking that fat mammoth to the bin.
Pff, I remember that. We had to drag the monster all the way to the attic and then years later back down again. Getting it downstairs was actually harder, it was so hard to hold on to it
Old 16 March 2021, 14:49   #10
dreadnought

Quote:
They also take up a *lot* of space, which many people are simply not prepared to devote to a TV or monitor.
Only in regard to the depth, really. Besides, people are more than happy to invest in 60" behemots for their living rooms, dual 27" monitors for the desks, etc. These take a lot of space as well.

Truth is, CRTs simply carry an "unfashionable" stigma these days. They got hardware cooties, so to speak
Old 16 March 2021, 14:49   #11
robinsonb5

Quote:
Grand pianos or electronic keyboards?

Upright pianos, mostly - I've known more than one be scrapped because no-one wanted them.

Quote:
Depends on how big you want the TV to be.

It's the depth more than the screen size that's the issue.
Old 16 March 2021, 14:51   #12
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Truth is, CRTs simply carry an "unfashionable" stigma these days. They got hardware cooties, so to speak

Back when I was young enough to hear it, I wasn't hugely enthusiastic about the 15khz whine either!
Old 16 March 2021, 15:06   #13
str0m

Needed 2 people and a wheelbarrow cart thing to get my B&O CRT into my games room. Mega bargain at £80 a couple of years ago, they were thousands when new 20 years back
Old 16 March 2021, 15:08   #14
kremiso

Do you remember on sales the latest attempts, of that 'short cathode-ray tube' technology, a bit before the complete switch with the lcd's, plasma etc?

Wondering if someone has managed to got/use or is still using one of that particular models, to share some opinions.
Never tried myself, prolly not exactly in the middle of the two generations, but it seemed not too bad, at a first look
vanished in a couple of months, maybe less...
Old 16 March 2021, 17:03   #15
Foebane
Banned

My last CRT TV (4:3, portable) had a literal flat screen at the front, and with the rest of the casing design it looked quite stylish.
Old 16 March 2021, 22:42   #16
lesta_smsc

CRTs are essential for retro gaming - no amount of upscaling or shaders will even come remotely close!

Hence why I have 3 x CRTs all of these are 4:3:
1 x 28"
2 x 14" (one of these is a Trinitron)
Old 16 March 2021, 23:19   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Real hardware via OSSC comes indeed very close. It's no scaling, you have no additional input lag (besides the monitor/TV lag). And the scanlines horizontal+vertical looks very close to a aperture grille CRT. Scrolling is silky smooth if you have a decent monitor/TV. Biggest issue would be the motion blur on fast scrolling stuff. But for gaming it mostly does the job good enough. And i'm a huge CRT freak (still have 3 Trinitron TVs).

There is one other thing: You have to buy proper shielded RGB Scart cables with Csync. Sometime nasty consoles are prone to vertical lines noise (jail bars effect) which is mostly visible on LCDs and not on CRTs. So, they might need a RGB bypass mod to fully shine on LCDs.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 16 March 2021 at 23:30.
Old 16 March 2021, 23:22   #18
rare_j
Zone Friend

I regretfully had to take my 21" trinitron, owned from new, to the tip after many years of use, it went soft and the contrast was shot. Eventually the picture went many shades of purple. This was nearly ten years ago - I tried to find a commercial repair shop but there was simply no one to repair them anymore.
There was no way i was having the back off the bastard myself. Those things can literally kill you.

Going against popular opinion here, but imo my ips lcd tv + ossc + dvdo vp50 looks better than the crt ever did for gaming. Just saying.
Old 16 March 2021, 23:27   #19
jimbob

My friend gave me a 32" Loewe Aconda for free a few years ago, very fancy when new and I think they got it for free off someone before that.

Thing weighs about 50kg and it damn near killed me getting into my top floor flat at the time, got away with some minor injuries to the plasterwork in the stairwell!

It is great for DVDs, PS2 and Xbox360, sadly not too great for Amiga, most games are ok but workbench gets a weird waviness too it.
Old 16 March 2021, 23:27   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Going against popular opinion here, but imo my ips lcd tv + ossc + dvdo vp50 looks better than the crt ever did for gaming. Just saying.

My 55" LG C9 OLED looks fantastic that way (no dvdo though).