English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 October 2020, 16:37   #41
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I have a hard time putting my mind to games since a few years, be it old or new except for shmups. I suspect my rational self to struggle against actually holding a pad as if it was a bad habit, must have something to do with peer pressure sadly. Do I talk the talk ? I hope so, even though I only know about a limited number of 16-bit consoles hit titles. Many innovative (by then) Amiga games are disappearing from the Community radars in favor of a few appraised titles which are supposed to represent the pinnacle, and it's getting worse with each passing year.
Old 24 October 2020, 19:00   #42
Fiery Phoenix

Most I guess on here are 40 plus, don't get as much time to play games like we did when we were kids / teenagers in our bedrooms.

Latest gaming device I have is an Xbox 360 and only just finished GTA V. Can't see myself buying a new device as just won't get value for money from it.

I do like watching longplays on YouTube though of games, probably ones I won't get time to play...if you would have told me years ago I would be watching other people playing games rather than playing them myself I wouldn't believe you!
Old 24 October 2020, 19:19   #43
chip

Yep, i can confirm, things change

As you said, i am over 40 (46) and i don't buy a gaming platform since the "last" Playstation 2
Old 24 October 2020, 20:58   #44
mirthturtle
Mister & Missis Expert

A big reason I got back into Amiga this time around was the 2-player. In quarantine times an addictive co-op is just the thing. Qwak, Yo! Joe!, Sneech, etc are perfect family activities.
Old 24 October 2020, 21:22   #45
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Campbell View Post
Yeah, but what's the game like?
So Hitman 2 for me is the perfect example of emergent and experimental gameplay. A reigned in sandbox if you will. Your mission objectives are set, but there are a million ways of completing them. I go through a stage of discovering everything, then planning my mission and then executing. In one level the developers have set on average 90 challenges which completely change how you approach your targets each time. I totally can live in that world.
Old 24 October 2020, 21:55   #46
d4rk3lf

There is truth in that some games maybe looks nicer to us, because of nostalgia.
But there is also much larger truth:
New games sucks!

I play games very often, approximately 2-3 hours per day, yet, it's been a few years since I saw any new game that drew my interest.
They are just very dull, boring, not challenging at all, and the focus is clearly, only on graphics.

It's not about Amiga at all, I rather play PC games from 1996-2005 period then any new game. I play Stronghold (+ Crusaeder) for example. What new game offers same immersion, interesting story, epic battles, cool campaign, etc?
I rarely find any.
You can best see the difference if you compare Mafia 1 and 2, and Mafia 3, or Diablo 1 and 2, and Diablo 3. Don't tell me Civilization 6 is better then Civ 2,3,4, because it isn't.
RPG's? Even Witcher 3 was mediocre experience to me, and after a while I got bored, and uninstalled... meanwhile, every year, or so, I replay the likes of Might and Magic 6,7,8, Gothic 1 and 2, Diablo, Vampire the Masquerade... etc.
Tell me turn based strategy today that can challenge Master of Orion 2, Disciples 2, Heroes 3. I've tried MOO remake.. .huh.. what a boring experience (though, I still didn't tried Stellaris, and some people claims it's very good).

Even Amiga have games like Settlers, K240, Wing Commander, Cannon Fodder... etc.. I much rather play these, then new games, because they have that sort of immersion, that new games doesn't have at all.

Is it because I played these games as a kid?
No. Lot's of games I discover I actually never played as kid, and just discovered last 10 years.
And these old games (or semi old) just have "that something", that new games very rarely have.
Old 24 October 2020, 22:19   #47
Foebane
Banned

Strangely enough, for me too, the current games I have on my new Steam account are really quite old ones:

Quake 3 Arena
Unreal Tournament
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike: Source
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

I decided that my new account should focus on multiplayer-based games, with Doom 3 being an exception cos it's been my favourite Doom game since it came out, cos I love the awesome engine, graphics and atmosphere.

I also have the first two Doom games, but not on Steam.

I never really liked the two latest Doom games, I think they suck.
Old 24 October 2020, 23:11   #48
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

I decided that my new account should focus on multiplayer-based games, with Doom 3 being an exception cos it's been my favourite Doom game since it came out, cos I love the awesome engine, graphics and atmosphere.

I also have the first two Doom games, but not on Steam.

I never really liked the two latest Doom games, I think they suck.
I brought DOOM3 as a boxed game last decade but I had problem getting it run smoothly on my PIV 3.5GHz laptop with 512mb ram. It slowed down at the start of the game when I got to a room with a lot of imps on it.

Will it play well with a intel quad core 1.1GHZ Windows X 4GB dual with a intel HD gfx chip?
Old 25 October 2020, 00:36   #49
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I brought DOOM3 as a boxed game last decade but I had problem getting it run smoothly on my PIV 3.5GHz laptop with 512mb ram. It slowed down at the start of the game when I got to a room with a lot of imps on it.

Will it play well with a intel quad core 1.1GHZ Windows X 4GB dual with a intel HD gfx chip?
Sorry, I don't know what a PIV 3.5GHz laptop is, but I do know you will need a higher-spec mainstream PC than that one. I find any PC from 2010 onwards should be fine... but then again, I'm using Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics, and even then it slows down on Ultra sometimes.
Old 25 October 2020, 01:47   #50
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
This is some interesting form of necromancy or necrophilia there... 17.5 year old topic... gratz!
I figured that 17 year counts as 2-3 (hardware) generations since the question was asked.. so I guess the answer is, nope its the same for every generation. New games suck, and the objectively best games are the ones released where you lived when you were 12-16 y/o .
Old 25 October 2020, 02:31   #51
Seiya

however, talking about games it means you want to share to others your passions and experience with this type of software.
Old 25 October 2020, 08:44   #52
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
New games suck, and the objectively best games are the ones released where you lived when you were 12-16 y/o .
12-16? In my case, that would've been 1984-88, and I only had my humble Atari 800XL at that time. I suppose they were games I played a lot, but looking back, they were usually quite simple.

Even though I had an Amiga, I didn't buy that many games for it at all, except demos and magazine coverdisk versions. Heck, I bought more games for the Atari ST I had before the Amiga!

But the PC era was gold for me, when I was playing almost every single FPS going from 1995 to 2020, many to death. But I won't miss most of them now.
Old 25 October 2020, 09:10   #53
dreadnought

New games don't suck, at least not as a rule. It's all in your head.

My yesterday's gaming session: GTA V + Kingdom Come to start with, then switched to my retro desk and played some Monkey Island on MiSTer's Amiga and then some crazy 1983 management game for my DOS PC. They were all brilliant
Old 25 October 2020, 11:32   #54
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I revisited THE BLUE MAX and I'm sorry to say it's much as I remembered it. However, I've also been exploring a lot of vertical and horizontal shooters such as BATTLE SQUADRON and DISPOSABLE HEROES. Really outstanding artwork all the way around. My current favorite is TURRICAN 3. These are just fun to play. I found I couldn't use my Thrustmaster gamepad to bring up the plasma chain. Nothing worked. I brought out the Speedlink Competition, which I previously had abandoned, and voila, the plasma chain worked as documented. I gained a whole new appreciation for the Speedlink playing this gorgeous game.

I finally got around to setting up AmiQuake 2 and although I have to play at a lower resolution than what works well in AmiQuake, which for me is 800 x 600 with AmiQuake 2 running at 672 x 540, I'd largely forgotten how well this game was done.

Last edited by Weaselrama; 25 October 2020 at 11:33. Reason: Spelling