English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 May 2010, 00:58   #1
Narf the Mouse

Installed my Catweasel after a long time...

...My floppy drive won't detect the floppy. I appear to have left one in there for some reason and now it doesn't detect floppys. No green light or anything.

Is there an easy probable fix, or do I just junk it and get a new one? I'm thinking the second, but I'm not a hardware tech person, beyond connecting them up.

(It has a power connection and a floppy connection. The Catweasel can detect the drive itself)
Old 20 May 2010, 01:14   #2
Narf the Mouse

...Which could, but probably doesn't, have something to do with SpeedFan reporting my +3.3V as 0.0V. Because if it was really 0.0V, then I very much doubt I would be able to type this.

OTOH, if that is only the voltage that's reaching the floppy drive, that would rather explain it.
Old 20 May 2010, 18:53   #3
DH
Global Moderator

Moved to correct forum Narf, you'll probably get some answers now
Old 20 May 2010, 19:50   #4
mfletcher
Bawbag.

@Narf,

Really stupid question, but have you double checked and triple checked the floppy ribbon cables are connected properly? When I first installed my Catweasel, the floppy drive wasnt being picked up in the img tool. Turns out I had connected it to the wrong port on the Catweasel!

You'll know that its connected properly because Windows XP will prompt you to find the drivers when its detecting the floppy drive.

Another question, you are running Windows XP? 32bit?
Old 21 May 2010, 10:53   #5
Narf the Mouse

Thanks.

Windows XP 32-bit. I've got the power issue sorted out.

Current status? Windows detects my floppy drive, but the Catweasel doesn't. I've verified that the Catweasel is between the motherboard and the floppy drive. The floppy drive detects floppies.

I've got the floppy drive connected to the beige connector and the black connector connected to the motherboard.
Old 21 May 2010, 22:01   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Narf the Mouse,

If your floppy drive ordinarily works fine with Windows (i.e Windows detects the drive and the drive detects and reads/write floppies), then the drive is not faulty.

The Catweasel is much more compatible when not sharing a floppy drive with Windows.

I would advise you to remove the floppy drive from the motherboard connection, remove it from the BIOS so that Windows will not try to detect it and connect it to the Catweasel card as a dedicated drive (the Catweasel manual will tell you how this is done.

Does this fix the problem with the Catweasel detecting the drive and the drive floppy disks? If so, then leave it connected this way when using the Catweasel, and move it back to the motherboard connector when it is required for use in Windows.

If you have a floppy drive bay spare, then you could add another floppy drive, connecting one to the Catweasel and one to the motherboard to cover both eventualities while still achieving best compatibility.
Old 22 May 2010, 13:34   #7
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Narf the Mouse,

If your floppy drive ordinarily works fine with Windows (i.e Windows detects the drive and the drive detects and reads/write floppies), then the drive is not faulty.

The Catweasel is much more compatible when not sharing a floppy drive with Windows.

I would advise you to remove the floppy drive from the motherboard connection, remove it from the BIOS so that Windows will not try to detect it and connect it to the Catweasel card as a dedicated drive (the Catweasel manual will tell you how this is done.

Does this fix the problem with the Catweasel detecting the drive and the drive floppy disks? If so, then leave it connected this way when using the Catweasel, and move it back to the motherboard connector when it is required for use in Windows.

If you have a floppy drive bay spare, then you could add another floppy drive, connecting one to the Catweasel and one to the motherboard to cover both eventualities while still achieving best compatibility.
Or simply use a USB floppy