English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 September 2005, 14:43   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

New Amiga website on the way. PLEASE read!

Ok, most of you have heard of "speed runs" or "time attack" movies. There are several sites out there with nes, snes, psx, msx etc recorded "speed run/time attack" movies, but NONE of them has any of Amiga games. My site will only have Amiga recordings.

For those of you who don't know what this is, it's like a competition. People tries to complete a chosen game as fast as they can while recording it. That's what my new site is all about. People will create these kind of movies and submit them.

Now, there reason why I made this post is because I need some help with the way to go and the rules of recording a movie. What I mean is that when recording a nes movie, the rules are always the same; you may only record with a certain program and the recording shall start when the nintendo is powered on. For Amiga games this will be different because the Amiga has loading times between levels, different settings in WinUAE will result in different loading times etc thus making it hard to judge the time on how fast a game was completed.

So, I thought how about just play/record Amiga games that has a time counter in it. That way it doesn't matter how fast the game/loading times is emulated as you can see the time in the game. But this would then be very limited as, well... there are alot of great games with no time counter in them.

SO... any suggestions on how to do this? rules, the way to go etc?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 25 September 2005 at 15:07.
Old 25 September 2005, 19:34   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Timer starts at begining of level and ends at end..

Not allowed to stand around for more than 5 seconds (to avoid editing the video)
Old 25 September 2005, 20:33   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Thanks for your comment, bippym.

Yes, timer starts at begining of level and ends at end... but that would only work for one level, what about more levels? When level one is done.... some loading, then level 2... should they keep recording from stage 1 till final level and then check using a clock or something to see each time taken on each stage and add them together?

Not allowed to stand around for more than 5 seconds (to avoid editing the video)

Can't be helped I think. Many games requires you to wait 1-xx seconds before ie. an elevator arrives or a monster gets out of the way etc.

Really complicated this... to come up with the way to go with this, but I hope we can.

Please, more comments folks, share your ideas.
Old 25 September 2005, 20:34   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

just remove the loading part completely..

Then time how long lev 1 takes, and then add how long lev 2 takes and so-on
Old 25 September 2005, 20:38   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, but not everyone knows how to edit their recordings and stuff, or if they do know, they might do it... badly.. hmm.. I have already decided a thing that will help folks with codec problems. Many speedrun sites has their movies in different codecs. I will recompress all movies so they use the same codec, I might aswell then cut for them. donno.. hmm

edit: if all the parts, like intro,loading etc are removed and just the game playing is kept, no timing is needed as you could just check the length of the file.... but would need something between each level so they just dont pop up efter each other.. and some games might be hard to judge when the level has ended...hard to explain.. well... thinking.... but please post more comments

Last edited by Ironclaw; 25 September 2005 at 20:45.
Old 28 September 2005, 22:17   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, I have decided. As there will be alot of problems due to the different loading times between levels and stuff, which makes it hard to cut and finalise a movie, I have therfore decided to base the page on partial recordings instead. With partial recordings I mean just one level of a game.

So... people will be able to compete on game levels to see which player is the fastest.

For example; I have uploaded my speedrecording of stage 1 of Quik and Silva. Completed it in 00.02.33 mins (2mins 33sec). Now I'll wait for someone to upload their speedrecording of the same level to see if they can beat my time. Of course, there will be alot of one level recordings from many games. Full recordings will also be acceptable (full recordings is from level 1 to final level).

A highscore will be added soon so people can see who's the current and fastest player in the uploaded games.

The site will be available to the public in about a week.

Any suggestions?... please comment.
Old 29 September 2005, 01:44   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

use WHDLoad and my HDF project
Old 29 September 2005, 09:51   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Yeah, thought of that aswell, but would mean complicated work for those who want to record + whdload needs registering right ? .

So... it has to be one stage speedruns only, which is actually more fun than having to complete a whole game. More submissions and competing spirit when doing just one stage (I hope).
Old 29 September 2005, 11:02   #9
Figi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
I have uploaded my speedrecording of stage 1 of Quik and Silva.
Uhm... Uploaded *where*?
Old 29 September 2005, 11:05   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, thought of that aswell, but would mean complicated work for those who want to record + whdload needs registering right ? .

So... it has to be one stage speedruns only, which is actually more fun than having to complete a whole game. More submissions and competing spirit when doing just one stage (I hope).
SOME (i.e very few) require registering to play (only about 10-20 games max need a registered WHDLoad). Some games enable extra features (High score saving) if you register!

As for complex to setup.. erm... No!
Old 29 September 2005, 18:44   #11
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figi
Uhm... Uploaded *where*?
Like i said in one of the above posts "The site will be available to the public in about a week."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
SOME (i.e very few) require registering to play (only about 10-20 games max need a registered WHDLoad). Some games enable extra features (High score saving) if you register!

As for complex to setup.. erm... No!
Ok, but also meant that many WinUAE users only knows the very basic of WinUAE, like inserting the desired ADF and play. Using WHDLoad requires them to do more than that. For "noobs", it would not be that easy. Also, just recording ONE stage of games will be easier and more fun instead of going through the whole game.

And no need for yelling
Old 30 September 2005, 23:22   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Like i said in one of the above posts "The site will be available to the public in about a week."

Ok, but also meant that many WinUAE users only knows the very basic of WinUAE, like inserting the desired ADF and play. Using WHDLoad requires them to do more than that. For "noobs", it would not be that easy. Also, just recording ONE stage of games will be easier and more fun instead of going through the whole game.

And no need for yelling
With the frontends that are in development (I know of 3) all you do is select the game, press play and away you go

I wasn't yelling.. I was making a statement...

THIS IS YELLING

This is a statement!
Old 04 October 2005, 01:00   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

and this is a smart assed reply that has no bearing and is like to be removed from this thread.

*hehe*

Good on you ironclaw game timming and recordings sound awsome my hope is that doubious entities out there dont cheat the game while its recording. hmm perhaps a pannel of none-bribe-able judges like me or bippym ? i cannot say for the Up arrow Captive worshiping avatar but i like mine in £50 notes stuffed in brown envelopes.

but serious you will need some sorta submission examination and if something isn`t quite on the level reply back with what, where and if they could repeat a performance.

other than that its all about the games... and imma thinking i am gonna OWN on DOOM.... oh yeah baby... painless isa-commin'......

l8rs *gonna rev up the chainsaw* Z.