English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 September 2022, 03:29   #1
IrY100Fan

A1200 "Out Of Memory" Problem

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little help getting my A1200 back up and running.

I have an A1200 running OS 3.2 with an ACA1233n accelerator. It was working fine and then within about a time span of 8 hours it started gradually having more and more problems until it finally stopped being useful. Below is a timeline of the order that things occurred. Don't really know when exactly each symptom happened.

- Computer seemed to be working fine.
- System started locking up.
- Computer no longer boots, just get a blank black screen.
(Removed ACA1233n accelerator)
- Computer now starts to boot but shows error "Not enough memory to run DefIcons" gets to Workbench show 60K of free graphics mem.
(Trying to boot Workbech 3.1 and 3.2 from floppy.)
- Get Software Error message. (Error 8700 0000 Task 00018A88)
(Replacing 3.2 ROMs with original 3.1 ROMs.)
- Wont boot from hard drive at all. (Probably because it was setup using OS 3.2.)
- Booting from floppy gets me a gray screen with the Workbench title bar and then stops. Nothing else on screen.
(Replacing ROMs with AmigaDiag 1.2.1)
- Diag boots flashing green a few times, then gives some system stats while blinking different colors very quickly and then gets to main menu.
- Chipmem test sees 2MB and passes.
- All IRQs pass except for 7. (Diag seems to indicate that this is normal.)

- CIA test showed SLOW for Timer A and B on both Even and Odd one time. That has not returned.
- Graphics tests:
* Testpicture in lowres 32col comes up right away and looks okay.
* Testscreen 320x200 initially showed a blank screen for about 60 seconds and then it came up, but now comes up instantly each consecutive time.
* Test scroll / raster and RGB all look good.
(Reinstalled ACA1233n)
- Chip mem test passes, same as above. All other test either fail or crash.

Also checked my power supply voltages and they look good.

I will be grateful for any help that might get me back up and running.

Thanks.
Old 09 September 2022, 23:06   #2
Leon Besson

First things first Bromigo!

Revision of your A1200 Mainboard?

Board has been recapped?

If board is revision 1D4 or 2B, has the timing fixes been done? This is important if you are using ACA or old Apollo 1240/1260 accelerator boards.
Old 09 September 2022, 23:53   #3
IrY100Fan

The motherboard is version 1D4.

It has not been recapped.

I never did any timing fixes, it is like it was from the manufacturer. I bought the unit as new old stock years ago. I'll research these timing fixes and see what that entails.

It has been running my ACA1233n for about 5 years without any problems up to a few days ago.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 10 September 2022, 10:37   #4
supaduper

Check the roms are well seated and the sockets and pins are not oxidised, but sounds like your ACA is bad as when you run diagrom withithout the ACA it all checks good
Old 10 September 2022, 19:26   #5
Leon Besson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrY100Fan View Post
The motherboard is version 1D4.

It has not been recapped.

I never did any timing fixes, it is like it was from the manufacturer. I bought the unit as new old stock years ago. I'll research these timing fixes and see what that entails.

It has been running my ACA1233n for about 5 years without any problems up to a few days ago.

Thank you for the reply.
Okay. So a recap would be advisable. But you need to check if any other accelerators work fine if you can. This will nail down an issue with accelerator or board.

The 1D4 if ESCOM/Amiga technologies will already have the timing fixes done. The Commodore board will need E123c or r and e125c or r removing.
Old 11 September 2022, 03:49   #6
IrY100Fan

I think the ROMs seat properly. I see no corrosion on the sockets or pins and both sets of ROMs I own (3.1 and 3.2) act the same. The Diag ROM seems to work fine which to me indicates the sockets electrical connections are okay.

I have removed my ACA1233n. I wanted a stock A1200 for troubleshooting. Once I get the stock configuration working then I'll worry about getting the accelerator working again.

I ordered a re-cap kit from Amiga Kit as the capacitors in my unit are original. I see no signs of any issues though. No leaking that I notice and ripple on the power rails seem well controlled.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:12   #7
IrY100Fan

Small update to the situation...

I recapped the computer and it made no difference.

I ordered some replacement RAM chips, so we'll see how that goes when they come in.