English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 18 September 2022, 07:27   #1
back2skooldaze

installing os 3.2 from gotek as df1?

Hi this is really strange.. I have fitted 3.2.1 rom in my a500plus and i have updated my flash floppy gotek with lcd screen and rotary switch.
I have transferred the OS3.2 adf's to the usb stick.
Now on my a500plus i have an aca 500 connected and in the bios settings i am using the onboard rom so i am booting using the OS3.2 rom and not 1.3 or 3.1 as thats programmed in the aca500.
I have my 4gb cf card which i want to install OS3.2

Whats happening is when i select the Install3.2 adf on the gotek and boot the amiga using the onboard 3.2.1 rom then gotek starts loading and all looks ok until i keep getting a System Request Install3.2 has a read error on disk block 1426 now i know this only happens when a floppy disk is either bad or going bad or a bad transfer to disk but the OS3.2 adf's are stored from the OS3.2 cd to a folder on my pc so its hardly a bad transfer or dodgey disk?
All the adf's including the HDsetup adf is bad too also the MMUlibs when its wanted when booting OS3.1? Im getting read error on disk block on all adfs?
I read someone downgraded there flash floppy to 3.13a but Ive tried this and still getting the read error disk block? Does anyone have a similar experience or can help?

My flash floppy is upgraded to 3.35

If i boot to OS3.1 i can see what adf i have selected on the workbench and strange but i can format that disk perfectly? but the OS 3.2 adf's are giving read error disk blocks?

Also the only cfg file i have on my usb stick is when inserting in the gotek and it automatically created am IMAGE_A file but theres nothing in there using visual studio code after doubling clicking the file? should i have an FF-CFG file for the amiga?
Old 18 September 2022, 18:53   #2
back2skooldaze

Hi PascalDE73 Thanks for your reply, It seems any adf file is reporting disk block errors?
I went back to OS3.1 and tried to load Workbench Install 3.1 adf off the usb stick and its doing exactly the same problem as OS3.2?
So its nothing to do with OS3.2 strangley ? If i format the OS3.2 install adf on the amiga it formats great and i get a new disk folder on wb with no errors? same goes for OS install 3.1? The gotek is working as DF1: only proble is loading an adf is getting so far then reports disk block errors?
Old 18 September 2022, 19:55   #3
back2skooldaze

Im wondering if i need a floppy drive boot selector for the gotek as DF1: ??
Maybe the boot disk errors are happening due to conflicting with DF0: and DF1:
The gotek works great as DF1: but only if i put my own blank adf's on and use the amiga to format them?
Old 18 September 2022, 22:15   #4
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

remove the ACA500 plus and try again and let us know, basically try with the most basic config you have also try booting a game or two.

Last edited by RetroPassionUK; 19 September 2022 at 11:04.
Old 19 September 2022, 22:38   #5
back2skooldaze

Hi retropassionUK its still the same? i thought it was the aca 500 ? The gotek reads ok and flashes and makes the buzzer noise ?
On the gotek i read T:64.0 where it stops and i get the Install3.2 has a read error on disk block 1426?

Thats just the a500+ and the gotek?

Ive even tried to transferring the adfs off the OS3.2 cd to the usb stick and trying again and i still get the disk block error? on all the adf's from the OS3.2 CD
I'm not saying the adf's are bad on the OS3.2 because i have already wrote a couple of adf's back to floppy disk for the a1200

Ive ordered a floppy boot selector for the A500 so i can see if the DF0: is messing up with the gotek as DF1:

I've even tried opening the boot option on the a500 holding 2 button mouse and selecting DF1: to boot from and i still get boot block error?

Please tell me i have installed the rom in the A500 correctly? The last pins on the rom fit right to the back of the rom slot? On my a1200 roms i had to remove the end 2 pins on both roms to fit powerflyer gold. I noticed on the a500 on the rom socket there is 2 empty slots at the beginning where the dimple of the rom fits.
I get the boing ball showing 3.2 rom (kickstart version 47.102) copyright @2021 hyperion entertainment CVBA. So i must have the rom correctly installed. All adf's are giving disk boot error when loading from the gotek?

quick update I tried loading Duck tales disk 1 of 2 adf and im still getting read error on disk block 897 ?
Is there an update version i should revert to on the gotek in order to try with OS3.2 ?

Last edited by back2skooldaze; 19 September 2022 at 23:01.
Old 29 September 2022, 19:14   #6
back2skooldaze

Hi PascalDe73, Im using an ACA500 not the ACA500+
Ive just bought a new gotek cable and i have a boot selector which works and the gotek is booting duck tales from the gotek df1: no problem. The OS3.2 adf's are still reporting boot disk error? thats with the ACA500 not attached and attached? So i don't think its the ACA500? I'll try without the ACA500 again and see if the Install3.2 adf boots on the A500+ with the KS 3.2.1 rom i have installed but from past testing it still reported disk boot error on the adfs off the OS3.2 cd?

I can confirm the adf's from the OS3.2 cd are all reporting has a checksum error on disk block The Install3.2 has checksum error on disk block 178

This is just my Amiga 500+ with KS 3.2.1 rom and the adf's on usb loading from gotek? The gotek is working great booting from df1: using my amiga boot selector!
Before i installed the boot selector i was booting from the gotek as df1: and still getting the same issue? So its not the gotek or cable ? The rom is installed correctly and the boing ball is showing on switching the amiga on.
Booting duck tales from gotek df1: on boot selector with the amiga with KS 3.2.1 and its loading perfect?????

So whats with the adf's on the OS3.2 cd? I have already transferred some adfs from the OS3.2 cd to floppy disks for my A1200 with KS 3.2.1 roms and the floppy disks work great? The adfs are kind of hard files where theres no corruption? Ive tried transferring from the OS3.2 cd back to the usb stick again and even the pc in a folder and i'm still getting disk boot errors?

This is really strange? I wanted to install OS3.2 on my A500 using my ACA500 via gotek/adfs as this is easy but i am going to try the a500 adf's back to floppy disks and try them! Just waiting for some amiga floppy disks to arrive!

Has anyone got an amiga FF file i can use please on my usb stick? Im using flash floppy 4.6a and when using the FF file on my usb stick theres some corrupt looking letters? On the pc they look ok but when on the usb then viewing the FF file it looks strange?

Last edited by back2skooldaze; 29 September 2022 at 19:44.
Old 29 September 2022, 19:56   #7
back2skooldaze

Quick update!!! i've sorted it out! It was down to not putting the FF file in a subfolder with the IMG.CFG and now its working
Old 30 September 2022, 20:14   #8
back2skooldaze

cheers Pascal OS3.2 looks and runs nice on a500+ with ACA500 Ive also got 2 slim memory side car memory devices. Ive got 1.5mb + 2mb fast then 2mb chip in the trapdoor then theres the 2 sidecar memories a 4mb+2mb. Soon to get either terriblefire or pistorm so i can detach the ACA500.

Actually the sidecar memories not sure whether there fast or not? does not state? only Z2 vendor 2138