English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 March 2022, 18:45   #1
Weasel Fierce

Known good brands of PCMCIA wireless cards for A1200?

Pondering getting my A1200 back online but I have no idea where the old card I got from Amigakit went and they don't seem to sell them any more.
There's a lot of PCMCIA cards out there and I imagine some won't play nice with the Amiga. Any known brands, cards or things to look for?

Thanks in advance
Old 12 March 2022, 20:54   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Pondering getting my A1200 back online but I have no idea where the old card I got from Amigakit went and they don't seem to sell them any more.
There's a lot of PCMCIA cards out there and I imagine some won't play nice with the Amiga. Any known brands, cards or things to look for?

Thanks in advance
Have used Linksys wireless PCMCIA cards on my A1200 without issue which I recommend.

you are basically looking out for cards that support WPA. Have a look on Ebay as a lot of these cards wouuld be setup without them for which you will need to play around with your router and shock horro switch off any security for them to work.
Old 12 March 2022, 21:09   #3
Nobby_UK

I use a D-Link Air DWL-650 flashed with latest firmware.
Old 12 March 2022, 22:17   #4
Hercules
Vodka monster.

I use a DLink (ethernet only). I got around Ethernet cables being trawled around the house by using a set of powerline adapters. Always better using wired than WiFi - no more deadspots and faster more stable speeds.
Old 12 March 2022, 22:36   #5
desiv

I use a 3COM Etherlink III card on my 1200. (10M 16-bit card.)
Works great, and since my 1200 is in the same room as my router, wired works great.
I actually did, at some time, pick up a wireless PCMCIA card that is supposed to work with my Amiga (don't remember which one), but I haven't needed it so it is stored with my Amiga stuff.
Note: If you are buying on e-bay, make sure you get the matching dongle for it. 3COM used several similar looking dongles for their cards, IIRC (??)... Also note: if you are going wired, make sure your network still supports 10M...
Old 13 March 2022, 19:13   #6
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I use a DLink (ethernet only). I got around Ethernet cables being trawled around the house by using a set of powerline adapters. Always better using wired than WiFi - no more deadspots and faster more stable speeds.

Previously used a Kingston PCMCIA EtheRx Ethernet Adapter

--- Bridge to my PC.
Old 14 March 2022, 04:12   #7
ncafferkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post

Download the driver (prism2v2 on Aminet) and RTFM for advice on the different types of compatible cards :-)
Old 14 March 2022, 06:06   #8
jlin_au

Definitely go with a wired ethernet PCMCIA card instead of a wireless 11WiFi card.
1) Wired ethernet access will be faster than WiFi 802.11 a/b/g(?) PCMCIA card especially if you use switched gigabit ethernet ports on the router.

2) Wired ethernet access uses physical link without the extra WPA security required by a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g(?) PCMCIA card. to use a WPA only wifi card you would have to switch your wireless router to only use WPA instead of WPA2 security which may cause issues with later smartphones.
Old 14 March 2022, 11:13   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin_au View Post
Definitely go with a wired ethernet PCMCIA card instead of a wireless 11WiFi card.
1) Wired ethernet access will be faster than WiFi 802.11 a/b/g(?) PCMCIA card especially if you use switched gigabit ethernet ports on the router.
Almost irrelevant the performance bottleneck will be the Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin_au View Post
2) Wired ethernet access uses physical link without the extra WPA security required by a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g(?) PCMCIA card. to use a WPA only wifi card you would have to switch your wireless router to only use WPA instead of WPA2 security which may cause issues with later smartphones.
WPA2 is supported in the AmigaOS drivers for prism2v2 chipset cards.

https://aminet.net/package/driver/net/prism2v2

Kudos to ncafferkey supporting us all these years.
Old 14 March 2022, 15:36   #10
Weasel Fierce

Thanks gang, I'll have a looksie.
Old 15 March 2022, 09:06   #11
solarmon

Refer to http://www.g-mb.de/pcmcia_e.html