English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 19 November 2010, 10:03   #401
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
They run a business, as such need to make money. Get over it.

Do you honestly believe there are that many current Amiga users to have created that need in the present day? Have a reality check please. What is more likely, and makes far more business sense to System 3, is that many old players of the original Putty games that were released plus the small minority like us who knew about the demo of Putty Squad and still play games will have gone on to buy the newer platforms and would quite like to have it for them therefore System 3 know there's a demand because of that and because of the current trend for rehashing old games into "HD" format. Seriously not to do with the current Amiga community, which let's face it is pretty small in the grand scheme.

I'll get it on one of the new formats and enjoy it for the game it was and now is. Yes it would've been nice to have it on the Amiga and yes I preach from the same sheet of still wanting it but just because we all have massive passion for a dead format doesn't mean a company, with shareholders to keep happy, also does.

The very fact they are still considering releasing it is quite something I think.
Yesterday's Amiga owners could still be today's gamers, so there is a link between the two. Even though production of the machines died, there was still a large user base.

They promised so much for the Amiga version and we got Jack Sh!t as a result; don't we have some cause to feel cheated and isn't posting the Amiga review scores rubbing salt into the wounds?

Just for my information; how many formats did it finally get released on back in the 90's apart from the SNES?

I quite liked her comment "Spend a few pennies on the iPhone or PSP version" - yeah, after shelling out 100s of £££ for the bloody unit to play it on, when I have a perfectly good upgraded A1200 sitting here...?? No thanks, we don't all work in banks in the city, darling......

Edit: I guess goodwill has become a casualty of corporate greed these days.......

Last edited by Merlin; 19 November 2010 at 13:13.
Old 19 November 2010, 10:11   #402
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Just for my information; hHow many formats did it finally get released on back in the 90's apart from the SNES?
None.
Old 19 November 2010, 10:33   #403
BrooksterMax

What an arrogant response! Pennies? What a disconnect from the rest of civilization indeed!
Old 19 November 2010, 12:20   #404
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I think the best way of getting this released it to constantly hound them and complain all the time.

That'll get it released for sure!
Old 19 November 2010, 12:30   #405
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I've just sent this message to Chandra, using the language that they should understand; MONEY......

Hi Chandra, thanks for the reply. The part the Amiga community is hacked off about is that so much was promised about this game, yet nothing came of it. Also, a lot of us retro gamers still have perfectly good Amiga hardware capable of running the game, so we feel no need to spend hundreds of pounds on an iPhone or PSP.

Don't get me wrong, we don't expect a freebie; if the Amiga version was made available as a download ADF image from the System 3 site, I am sure that the retro community would be prepared to pay for it. You still get the revenue, all we are asking for is a different method to deliver the game; is that too much to ask?

Regards,

Dave (Merlin)

I've not even got started on the WinUAE side of things yet... I'm saving that for later...
Old 19 November 2010, 12:36   #406
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Translation = we made it to sell and have not been able to, so fuck off with your 'i want it free since it's dead now attitude'.
And what's wrong about that? They run a business and thus need to earn money! The Amiga is DEAD so it's not exactly surprising that releasing an Amiga version has not the highest priority for them.

Quote:
Translation = WE STILL WANT TO MAKE MONEY !!!! Open your ears up when i say that !
And it's of course the worst thing in the world that want to earn money, right? Sigh.

Quote:
Yes Chandra, please go die in hell and all that comes with you !
Yeah, because she gave an honest answer she deserves to die... Very mature, really!

Quote:
Reactions guys ?
I hope she never sees this thread here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I think the best way of getting this released it to constantly hound them and complain all the time.

That'll get it released for sure!
+1!
Old 19 November 2010, 13:00   #407
Cauterize

If they can digitally host and sell an updated version of their new game, then I don't see any harm to them hosting and selling ADFs of their original game.

If distribution costs were a problem, like they were back in the day then fair enough. But if if anything selling ADF files on their site will only bring them more money from the die hard Amiga users.

It is Win-Win for them financially, but they haven't realised it yet.
Old 19 November 2010, 13:02   #408
Djay
95th User

so they have a final version which they sent for review... how difficult would it be to ADF it and upload it to their site?
hey i would pay £5 for that!
Old 19 November 2010, 13:05   #409
BrooksterMax

I guess implementing DRM would be a problem - they can't control it quite like they can a release on itunes (although not perfect).
Old 19 November 2010, 13:11   #410
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Yeah, like piracy is likely to be a really big deal on the Amiga these days....

If WHDLoad can have a serial key, why not this game? Serial keys can be linked to purchases and that should be enough.
Old 19 November 2010, 13:21   #411
Djay
95th User

a lot of games sold online today use the serial key generated by email address, the code could easily be translated into the code for Putty Squad

but to be honest, i really dont think they did to worry
Old 19 November 2010, 13:30   #412
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Like they would bother about ~200 sold copies. Oh and yes, implementing some sort of copy protection would eat the small revenue anyway...
Old 19 November 2010, 13:37   #413
S0ulA55a551n

Sorry that this is my first post but Fabie are you slightly retarded or do you just enjoy being a tool
Old 19 November 2010, 13:38   #414
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Fabie
I guess the same might happen to half of that post as well...

Oh look what just happened
Old 19 November 2010, 13:40   #415
Djay
95th User

their master is probably sitting in the back of a filing cabinet collecting dust.. i could go to their office, ADF the disk and upload to some webspace... all for free... hey i wouldnt even expect the travels expenses back

this would cost them nothing...
Old 19 November 2010, 13:43   #416
Graham Humphrey

Can I ask people to keep a sense of perspective please? We're talking about an old game that wasn't released for a long dead computer. I don't think that justifies personal abuse like dlfrsilver's "go die in hell".

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 20 November 2010 at 23:44.
Old 19 November 2010, 13:43   #417
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Sorry that this is my first post but Fabie are you slightly retarded or do you just enjoy being a tool
not the best way to join a forum and introduce yourself...
...but it certainly has impact

welcome... i think

lol
Old 19 November 2010, 14:49   #418
S0ulA55a551n

Hi All

Sorry about that. I joined awhile ago and had been reading a few threads recently where he kept popping up and saying over top things. Also in the thread about the new accelerators.

I will post a proper introduction on the new memebrs forum if there is one.

Some of you may know me as JJ on amiga.org and as S0ulA55a51n on MorphZone
Old 19 November 2010, 18:56   #419
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Here's Chandra's reply to my e-mail:-

Hi.

Well, I'm afraid there's little I can do to answer for things that were said a long time ago.
I honestly don't know what promises were made back in the Amiga days as I, like most of the staff here, have only been here a few years.

It's not about the money with the Amiga version, and it's not about whether we charge for it or not, merely that we're a small team and we are constantly up against it. We have priorities and we stick to them.
Putty Squad on mainstream formats could see a revival of Putty and a significant success for us and as such, it is our No 1 priority. We are a business after all.
Once we're able to successfully launched these versions, we will hopefully have the time and resources to sit down and think about projects that we do for fun rather than financial gains. . . the Amiga version of PS as well as dozens of other games that people constantly ask us to release.

Best wishes,

Chandra

Well, it's not a "No", and it's not a "Yes" either. To be frank, it all reads a bit like "Jam tomorrow", spin doctoring and a lot like the old "Moon Rock" marketing story, that goes something like this:-

Marketing: Let's build the Queen Mary, go to the Moon and let's see if we can sell some Moon rock.

Operations: Is there a market for Moon rock?

Marketing: We're not certain, but we're pretty sure there will be, when we get some.

Operations: OK then... we're not entirely happy about this though....

(time passes.....)

The Queen Mary looks resplendent on the launch pad, with gleaming booster rockets and shiny paint, with camera crews from all over the World lined up for the launch, when a junior member of the team looks at the launch pad and says

"Hang on a minute! the Queen Mary is a ship..."
Old 19 November 2010, 23:32   #420
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Thing is at least is appears not to have been lost.I'd be happy to wait quite honestly until such time they get round to it.To never release it would be a bit wrong in my book but they can do what the hell they like with it of course seeing it belongs to them

I think the right thing would be to release it at some stage to it's original audience seeing as it felt like it was essentially taken from us at the time.I don't suppose it would be all that difficult to realise on this when the time comes.You have to wonder though if they might not bother based on what our community response has so far been

The point has been made now i reckon so best left

At least it's not lost, i hope