English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 May 2021, 14:39   #1
alcomatt

Replacement kickstarts with decent quality legs

Could anyone recommend good UK kickstart ROM burning service using decent quality ROM chips? With sturdy legs? I've been extra gentle with the one's I've received recently (3.1.4) and one of the legs simply fell off when sliding it our of the packaging. Upon closer inspections they legs can be broken by simply gently (applying really minimum force) pushing them gently.

The replacement chips themselves feel very heavy compared to the original ROMs. The C= originals have super high quality legs, will not break upon touching.

Any recommendation would be nice. Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 14 May 2021, 14:48   #2
BennehBoy

Can you see the part numbers on the chips?

I've got a stock of AMD 27C400's here that I bought from China, they seem pretty solid.
Old 14 May 2021, 16:41   #3
Daedalus

Sounds like they've been bent already and possibly straightened in that case. Pretty much all suitable EPROMs for use as Kickstart chips are ceramic, and quite heavy compared to the cheaper plastic-bodied mask ROM chips used for original Kickstarts. But in general they have robust enough legs to handle a small amount of bending. But any DIP chip will lose legs if they're bent a couple of times - maybe the chips you got had previously been mangled in the post or something, there seem to be a lot of people receiving them without proper packaging resulting in badly bent legs, and straightening them might be just more than they can take.
Old 14 May 2021, 18:09   #4
alcomatt

Thanks for the info. They did not seem like they were bent. Also the pin that broke was right smack in the middle of the chip, not at the front. Having said that I cannot be sure as they were shipped in fairly rigid plastic, semi translucent, it was hard to see before the chip was out.

Last edited by alcomatt; 14 May 2021 at 18:57.
Old 14 May 2021, 18:09   #5
alcomatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
Can you see the part numbers on the chips?

I've got a stock of AMD 27C400's here that I bought from China, they seem pretty solid.

Thanks. I will try to remove the label and check the chip part numbers!
Old 15 May 2021, 21:19   #6
crobin

First Post

I just ordered some from amigaone_haven on ebay and they seam sturdy shame i fried them put them in the wrong way.