English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 22 June 2020, 09:56   #241
KKR75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
@KKR75

I have classic workbench full installed, it only says OS 3.1 in Scalos though. Would I still be able to use this ClassicWB-FULL v3.1.1 to update?
Sorry for the late response. Yes you should be able to update. It's been a long time I am not using ClassicWB anymore, so I did forget a bit how I made this work. But I do remember that v3.1.4 does not properly update the version number in Scalos, so you can manually input it as 3.1.4 yourself.
Old 03 January 2021, 12:16   #242
amigappc

ClassicWB is finest set of packs ever made for the Amiga machines.
It is well balanced between eye candy and functionality, not becoming bloatware.

HSTWB launcher is great fix, thanks to the author for it, however I would really like to see @Bloodwych riding again and offer us his vision of upgrade for Amigas that run 3.1.4 now.
Old 10 January 2021, 21:23   #243
t3v6

Sorry, one of only a few posts here by me...
I am really confused!

So I got original 3.1.4 from Hyperion...Roms, ADFs/Disks...for my A1200 8MB.
Then I want ClassicWb with 3.1.4 support.

Now I found
KKR75 ClassicWB 311
and Henrik´s v28.1.1
Are these CWB comparable? The same?! Even the same person?!

Either way: How do I best install these?
From scratch onto an empty HD with Kickrom 3.1.4 ?
Or WB3.1.4 "naked" from Hyperion first, and then CWB on top?!
I want to make sure that 3.1.4 unique systemfiles are not replaced by older ones.

HstWB seems aimed at the Win user, I am on a real machine!

I haven´t found the "definite" answer reading through half of these 13 pages. :-(
Old 15 January 2021, 18:56   #244
Macca
Zone Friend

I found quite an interesting video on installing Workbench 3.1.4 and embedding all of the EAB games and demos and also there is an option for ClassicWB.

Just follow the following video. When it comes to selecting which OS you can choose ClassicWB:

[ Show youtube player ]

Enjoy!

M.
Old 16 January 2021, 12:17   #245
t3v6

Many thanks, I´ll have a look.

At first glance, I realized I saw this and stopped, because it seems HSTWB is a PC-based installer and for UAE.
It seems I have to go the hard way of doing everything via WinUAE and then copy over to real hardware.
But I´ll give it a try
Old 28 January 2021, 22:07   #246
alcomatt

I went a different route. Installed ClassicWB with WB3.1 then copied required libs from 3.1.4 Install ADF Libs folder to DH0:Libs, and then simply booted with 3.1.4 kick off ClassicWB and run the installer for OS 3.1.4 from official ADFs. It installed over the already present ClassicWB setup. It seems to have worked although my icons colour palette seems to be messed up atm. If this can be fixed, this should be another way of installing it.
Old 30 January 2021, 17:02   #247
Macca
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3v6 View Post
Many thanks, I´ll have a look.

At first glance, I realized I saw this and stopped, because it seems HSTWB is a PC-based installer and for UAE.
It seems I have to go the hard way of doing everything via WinUAE and then copy over to real hardware.
But I´ll give it a try
I'd find it far easier to mount the Amiga HD or SD card in WinUAE and then just set it up there - you can then download anything, add WHDLoad games, etc. all on the PC ready for the Amiga with a certainty that you know it's going to roughly work

M.
Old 04 March 2021, 16:16   #248
rabidgerry

For a laugh I have tried to run the kkr75update but for a start it doesn't come with instructions. When I do try and figure it out myself I stick the ADF in which then keeps saying I need the system.zip file in DH0. Where the hell do I get that from? It wasn't included in the ClassicWB_FULL_v311-kkr75 from drop box? Anyone ever use this successfully I would really like to know?
Old 04 March 2021, 19:15   #249
PeterK

I would not recommend to use ClassicWB anymore, and I didn't try to update it with 3.1.4, but maybe the "system" that you need to install on DH0: is based on the "System.hdf" that is included in ClassicWB_Full_v28.zip:
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm

When you read the installation instructions for ClassicWB you will find a description how to create the system.zip file with WinUAE:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

Last edited by PeterK; 04 March 2021 at 19:24.
Old 03 April 2021, 10:36   #250
aZtOcKdOg

Wow, this thread was like a roller coaster of emotions! haha
Great work to everyone who did the respective work! <3 AMIGA <3

So... @PeterK ClassicWB not recommended for 3.1.4... is there an alternative OS enhancer or should I just do what I usually do these days and manually install the various ‘tweaks’ for a streamlined 3.1.4 install? I’m setting up a basic A600 w/2MB Chip RAM 68k Thanks in advance! (tbh I really only use latest icon lib, DirOpus, ClickToFront and a few other things lol apart from the apps/games/demos ofc)

Cheers,
~aZt
Old 03 April 2021, 13:10   #251
PeterK

Huh! A plain A600, 68000 and 2 MB ChipMem (only ?) ... that's really difficult. The fastest thing you can do with it:
"Throw it into the bin!" ... or buy an accelerator.

I once had an A2000 and know how slow that is. Even after installing a A2620, A2091, HDD and many other nice things, it was still damned slow.

I prefer to install and configure everything myself and would never use a distro. Usually, distros have lots of stuff that I don't need and 90 % of what I would like to have is missing or wrongly configured.

But you could try BestWB, although it wasn't updated anymore since 2019:
http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm

Btw, on a plain A600 I would not expect that my icon.library has any advantages if you just use old 4-color or MWB icons.
Old 03 April 2021, 14:46   #252
aZtOcKdOg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Huh! A plain A600, 68000 and 2 MB ChipMem (only ?) ... that's really difficult. The fastest thing you can do with it:
"Throw it into the bin!" ... or buy an accelerator.

I prefer to install and configure everything myself and would never use a distro. Usually, distros have lots of stuff that I don't need and 90 % of what I would like to have is missing or wrongly configured.

Btw, on a plain A600 I would not expect that my icon.library has any advantages if you just use old 4-color or MWB icons.
Haha for sure not expecting anything fast hehe I have other Amigas (and have had different ones since late 80’s...) this is purely a little audio sampling, tracker, coding and pixel art machine so yes 4c icons etc (ofc I will get an accelerator and/or some FAST RAM if something pops up on the radar that looks reliable...)

It has been nicely recapped with solid state caps and audio fix etc so def excited to get it amongst my other gear in the studio!

Agreed, I will continue using a lean OS install with minimal bloat... here’s hoping Protracker even loads eh

Thanks for the info man much appreciated!
Old 02 May 2021, 02:19   #253
ubermick

Just got HSTWB up and running on my A1200 - massively impressed. (Although booting directly into a menu system is annoying, need to sort that - just WB for me!)
Old 02 May 2021, 10:45   #254
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Just got HSTWB up and running on my A1200 - massively impressed. (Although booting directly into a menu system is annoying, need to sort that - just WB for me!)
I personally prefer installing a Workbench setup via WB 3.14 qnd Better / BestWB over ClassicWB as less bloat and more chip RAM on boot. The menu system of HSTWb only lasts for 5 seconds. No big deal on boot. If it bothers you then comment it out of the startup. I personally like it as it gives you a faster way to launch AGS2 for launching WHDLoad demos/games.
Old 03 May 2021, 00:18   #255
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I personally prefer installing a Workbench setup via WB 3.14 qnd Better / BestWB over ClassicWB as less bloat and more chip RAM on boot. The menu system of HSTWb only lasts for 5 seconds. No big deal on boot. If it bothers you then comment it out of the startup. I personally like it as it gives you a faster way to launch AGS2 for launching WHDLoad demos/games.
Yep, that's what I'm using as well. Scalos is pretty and all, but...
Old 25 May 2021, 22:11   #256
digiflip

just wondered will best classic wb mess up amiga os 3.2?

well first experiment install best wb on top of os 3.2 does mess up some resources and the glow icons.

New Experiment upgrade a best classic wb on top of a clean 3.14 wb install with the amiga os 3.2 cdrom

Last edited by digiflip; 26 May 2021 at 07:39.
Old 26 May 2021, 09:24   #257
digiflip

Experiment works has a work around for now
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 June 2021, 20:40   #258
samplist

@digiflip BestClassicWB v2.0 for OS3.2 is now available.