English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 March 2016, 01:51   #121
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Bionic Commando was excellent though. Both Capcom and published by US Gold iirc.

D.
Is this serious or sarcastic? Bionic Commando is IMO among the 3 worst Arcade to Amiga ports ever.
Old 03 March 2016, 10:43   #122
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Bionic Commando was excellent though. Both Capcom and published by US Gold iirc.

D.
You'd gotta be kinding. This is basically an 8 bits game ported on Amiga !

Tiertex were in love with the Atari ST, and it shows! Little animations frames, 16 colors, software engine, bad playability, all the worst reunited into one !
Old 03 March 2016, 12:26   #123
Dunny

Good heavens, I had no idea it was so bad - and here was me playing it for hours and hours when I was younger. Loved it.

Along with Hellfire Attack, Kingsoft's Scorpio, Star Goose, PTC, the list goes on.

D.
Old 03 March 2016, 12:32   #124
idrougge

An honorary mention goes to Hungary's Novotrade. They shaped up later and made a name for themselves with Ecco the Dolphin, but by that time they had left the Amiga. But look at the Amiga port of Castlevania. Even a moderately skilled AMOS coder can do better.
Old 04 March 2016, 08:19   #125
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
But look at the Amiga port of Castlevania. Even a moderately skilled AMOS coder can do better.
Yeah it was so bad that I even spotted an ad in a magazine back in the day calling for Amiga programmers to come together to build a better one.

I didn't mind the game so much at first and even could stand the minutes upon minutes of load time (jesus). But the section where enemies jump out of the water as you walk by is just total suckage in the Amiga port.
Old 04 March 2016, 11:58   #126
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

yes novotrade basically dismembered the nes game in parts, converted the graphics to IFF, and converted the game main code to 68000.

WoOoOoW..... i'm so amazed..... instead of enhancing the game..... they left the game in its juice
Old 04 March 2016, 16:24   #127
idrougge

If they'd actually done that, it would've been a great game.
Old 04 March 2016, 16:56   #128
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If they'd actually done that, it would've been a great game.
This.

If it was identical to the original NES game, it would be a pretty good game.

The Amiga version is awful and completely butchered.

Novotrade made a fair amount of crap games. They made the worst Contra game ever (Contra: Legacy of War), they managed to make a really soulless version of California Games for the Mega-Drive (Which is a lot worse than the Master System version and its LACKING ONE EVENT, WHY WHY?) and I have never been a big fan of Ecco either.
Old 08 March 2016, 15:30   #129
SunChild
EAB Noobie

No mention of Steve BAK yet?
Alright, he might not have been the worst (not by far) when talking skills, but gosh was this guy a f***ing moron!
I remember at least two interviews where he openly stated his love for the AtariST and coding his games on it and stuff along the lines of how much better this machine was compared to "that other Amiga crap"...

With the obvious result that every game he developed was a straight ST port not taking any advantage of Amiga possibilities.
Steve Bak was my favourite foe at the time... I still hate his guts to this day, such an idiot.

[EDIT]Just realized the topic calls for worst "developer", not "programer", oh well...
What developer(s) did Steve Bak worked for? ^__^[/EDIT]

Last edited by SunChild; 08 March 2016 at 18:10. Reason: Check the tags...
Old 08 March 2016, 16:12   #130
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

yes i saw that in french magazines. He was an ST lover from day one !
Old 08 March 2016, 16:14   #131
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
yes i saw that in french magazines. He was an ST lover from day one !

Umm pot kettle lol. Fanatical cpc person
Old 08 March 2016, 17:58   #132
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Don't get me wrong though, I don't mean there's anything bad about being an ST lover (well, I kind of do, haha, but that's only because I'm an unobjective Amigafreak bastard! I nonetheless confess I happen to launch an ST emulator from time to time -- may the Almighty Jay have mercy on my soul for such blasphemy...).
In any case, these war days are now long gone, and there's more things uniting the ST and Amiga communities than driving them apart nowadays.

But that imbecile Steve Bak, his love for the ST seemed to always go along with a hate/despise for the Amiga (to be honest, back then it wasn't an uncommon sentiment). Prolly out of disappointment and bad faith when it became clearer and clarer every day to every Atari user that the Amiga hardware was so obviously more powerful than their machine.
But Steve Bak is much more to blame as a coder, since a coder _should_ know better when comparing ST and Amiga possibilities + has a responsability of sorts to provide the gamer with the best code available for the game, and choosing the ST to develop then porting the code straight as is on the Amiga (and doing so proudly and claiming publicly about it) was an insult.

See? When I said I still hate his guts I wasn't kidding! ^__^
Die Steve, DIE!
Old 08 March 2016, 18:28   #133
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChild View Post
Don't get me wrong though, I don't mean there's anything bad about being an ST lover (well, I kind of do, haha, but that's only because I'm an unobjective Amigafreak bastard! I nonetheless confess I happen to launch an ST emulator from time to time -- may the Almighty Jay have mercy on my soul for such blasphemy...).
In any case, these war days are now long gone, and there's more things uniting the ST and Amiga communities than driving them apart nowadays.

But that imbecile Steve Bak, his love for the ST seemed to always go along with a hate/despise for the Amiga (to be honest, back then it wasn't an uncommon sentiment). Prolly out of disappointment and bad faith when it became clearer and clarer every day to every Atari user that the Amiga hardware was so obviously more powerful than their machine.
But Steve Bak is much more to blame as a coder, since a coder _should_ know better when comparing ST and Amiga possibilities + has a responsability of sorts to provide the gamer with the best code available for the game, and choosing the ST to develop then porting the code straight as is on the Amiga (and doing so proudly and claiming publicly about it) was an insult.

See? When I said I still hate his guts I wasn't kidding! ^__^
Die Steve, DIE!
I should show Steve this thread,next time I go round for a Poker night
Old 08 March 2016, 18:40   #134
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Software Creations did some utterly bad arcade conversions... only ever booted up for the awesome Tim Follin music.

Tiertex is the worst of the bunch though!! I don't care for Strider, and Rolling Thunder, and the others... but I can never forgive them for the travesty that was Black Tiger! How could they do that to my beloved favourite coin-op??!!!?!!?!!!

EDIT: Seems Black Tiger wasn't ruined by Tiertex...So Graham Lilley is officially the worst developer!

Last edited by DanScott; 08 March 2016 at 18:49.
Old 08 March 2016, 18:57   #135
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I should show Steve this thread,next time I go round for a Poker night
Show him at will, just see to it to get all his ill-earned (ie. as an ST coder) money!!!!

But who am I to assume he never did see the evil of his past days and haven't now repent (burning incense every evening before bed in his home-built Amiga altar)?