English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 25 August 2021, 01:48   #1
Mixel

[WIP] Wizonk

VERY early days so this is probably jumping the gun, but threads have been started over much less, sooo..

My other little Scorpion game that I'm working in during breaks from CMOhn is..

WIZONK (possibly a working title but I like it..) A 4 player deathmatch wizard platformer with gameplay a bit like a cross between Fuzzball and Smash Bros.

http://mixelslab.com/wizonk/

And here's a video of very early motion tests.. Something more substantial coming soon.
[ Show youtube player ]

It won't distract from developing CMOhn, that game will always be my priority, but TBH that *will* take an inordinate length of time (and require a ton of concentration) to complete however hard I work at it so it's nice to have an easy project on the side to dip in to, particularly when I'm not feeling well. I'm also learning a bunch making this which can be applied to CMOhn, and vice versa.

Design-wise it's almost the opposite of CMOhn, so I think that's one reason why it's fun to juggle them both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-24 232157.png
Views:	326
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	72986
^^ There'll be proper levels to see soon.

Targetting all 1MB Amigas (though by the end might specifically want 1MB chip, but probably not?)..

The idea right now is to make the 4 player component for free, then work on a campaign for 1(or 2) players..

The multiplayer mode requires a Serial joystick adapter, but it's easy to play in 4 player in emulators with any combination of joysticks + keyboard players.

Things to expect in final levels: Slippy ice blocks.. Slowing slime blocks.. Spike traps, fire and water hazards. Occasional enemies, moving platforms etc. All build around creating a hectic and funny arena for the little guys to blast and stab each other in.

Also, a bunch of different types of spell, but those are all a bit up in the air at the moment.
Old 25 August 2021, 11:29   #2
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Nice one mate, will get this up on IndieRetroNews later today
Old 25 August 2021, 13:37   #3
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Nice one mate, will get this up on IndieRetroNews later today
Thankyou!

Here's another motion test on what's probably the beginning of the first "real" map.

[ Show youtube player ]

Making maps for single screen games is so fast compared to CMO's monstrous multi-layer things. (and I think I'm getting a decent amount of mileage out of 16colours!)

Last edited by Mixel; 25 August 2021 at 13:52.
Old 27 August 2021, 12:34   #4
acidbottle

Really great idea Mixel, hope you pull this off as the early screenies look very interesting!
Old 27 August 2021, 12:39   #5
kriz

Really nice! Love these kinds of games, especially with multiplayer AND campaign available !! Best of luck
Old 28 August 2021, 03:19   #6
Mixel

@acidbottle - thanks! ?? I’m 100% certain I can, the only things I’m not entirely sure about are actor behaviour. (See video below, hahaha!)

@Kriz - TY! Me too. The idea is to hopefully get the multiplayer half on AmigaLive too.. campaign is very secondary to the MP and will likely take a lot longer. No idea if it’d get finished before or after CMOhn.

[ Show youtube player ] - @earok, are there bugs happening here or is it just a byproduct of having 4 players? It’s funny anyway.
I didn’t realise how many sentences I don’t finish, uhh! I meant to say “I haven’t used a CPU_direct that can’t pass through walls before”

Oh, this is running on unexpanded A600 profile btw. 2 players on keyboard, one joystick and one glitchily mouse controlled. ??

If performance suffers when things get hectic I’ll consider 25fps. But hopefully not! I’d likely put it in the game’s settings menu as an option, so you can choose.
Old 28 August 2021, 23:39   #7
acidbottle

haha sorry mixel, it sounded like I had little faith in your ability there! You're a true pioneer of Scorpion and pushing it to its limits.

Am massively impressed that so many users are coming up with some really cool and original games, while all I can cut my teeth on are ropey ports
Old 29 August 2021, 01:15   #8
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
haha sorry mixel, it sounded like I had little faith in your ability there! You're a true pioneer of Scorpion and pushing it to its limits.
LOL! that "??" wasn't intentional, it was me clumsily using an emoji on my phone that EAB didn't understand and made into ??. I didn't take it as you having no faith.. Doh! Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Am massively impressed that so many users are coming up with some really cool and original games, while all I can cut my teeth on are ropey ports
I'm happy for the ports! They're just really not ideal for my skillset and control-freaky nature.. Unless I was remastering the graphics or something, graphics are one of the most enjoyable parts for me. Replicating something else's logic 1-1 is something I'd probably find very frustrating unless I went back to very basic arcade machines or something. Hmm.

Really looking forward to Amigamejam and what people make. The fact a lot of the big Amiga game makers are doing small sideprojects definitely helped me decide I could do one too, even if it's a totally different thing.
Old 06 September 2021, 01:18   #9
Mixel

Name:	4BB9EB69-A5D5-4A0C-BA5B-EAC8EBAAA062.png
Views:	158
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	73112
Pretty unfinished on multiple fronts (I need to make a new numberfont for score) but, charge attacks are working well, the front end menu is coming along well.. some levels will hurt you when you touch the sides, while others you can fall off the edges/bottom and loop back to the other side/top. This means you can essentially fall forever on some levels.

There’s a timer now. I need to choose what makes 3 good presets. I’m thinking 30s, 60s, 200s, infinite.. score is there for tournament purposes, and I intend to give a couple of options for win states. (Default will be winner = player with most health, 2nd = person with second most health, etc. But I want to put an optional score-based mode in too.

Next is winning, the panel that appears between stages, etc. I’ll get the core stuff working before adding more spells and platforms/terrain effects, etc.
Old 15 September 2021, 00:25   #10
Mixel

[ Show youtube player ] Extremely WIP..

A bit of commentary and explanation of the menu system, as well as charge attacks, and a couple of levels.
Old 15 September 2021, 07:47   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I would prefer stronger gravity, at least in some levels. What I like is the turbo mode, has definitely a party game feeling then.
Old 15 September 2021, 07:58   #12
Mixel

Hmm, yup. That’s an easy fix, I was going for Bubblebobble/Rodland-ish floaty falling. The jump height i can’t change much, I’m guessing you’re only thinking the fall speed is too slow? I can increase the maximum fall speed and set you to accelerate more.. At one point I was testing a stomp attack. I might bring that back*, it made you fall almost twice as fast!

*Nope, don't like stomp attack.. I increased max fall speed by 50% so it's still possible to hit people when they're falling.. There's a moment of floatiness at the top of the jump but it accelerates pretty quickly.

Last edited by Mixel; 15 September 2021 at 09:20.
Old 04 February 2024, 00:37   #13
Mixel

Wizonk 0.3 out.. Quite a few new features and fixes. Still have to give audio a look over, add the extra levels, and reintroduce the monsters!

https://mixelslab.itch.io/wizonk

quick list of fixes since the 0.1 version..

• fixed bump direction when nudged by projectiles
  • fixed boulder drop speed.
  • fixed many tooltips
  • added first to 3/5/10 win tournaments
  • fixed issue where dissolving platforms would collapse even if you hit them with your head (you have to stand on them now)
  • fixed (i think) issue where sometimes dissolving platforms would stick
  • spiral level now actually a spiral
  • fixed the longstanding bug where it says the incorrect (previous) winner briefly before the correct one
  • fixed bug where one of the levels wasn't in random rotation
  • fixed frogs so they’re less indestructible
  • indicator to show who is the winningest and losiest when on the main menu
  • reset all weapons button
  • 30 health option
  • option to disable/enable score logging

I've pushed this version to AmigaLive if anyone wants to test anything.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-03 223146.png
Views:	37
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	81547Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-03 222823.png
Views:	36
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	81548
Old 04 February 2024, 02:45   #14
ransom1122

Tried out all levels, its looking very good.

30 health option is good, makes a longer gameing session

What happens when the timer runs out? anything @7:53

Some Gameplay
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 February 2024, 18:21   #15
zzbylu
Saberman

Nice game!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 February 2024, 21:14   #16
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

When do you think the game will be finished? - Nice game dude!
Old 06 February 2024, 04:43   #17
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Tried out all levels, its looking very good.

30 health option is good, makes a longer gameing session

What happens when the timer runs out? anything @7:53

Some Gameplay
[ Show youtube player ]
TY! When time runs out it starts sapping 1 health from a random player each second. Until there’s only one left. It’s to stop camping from being a sure fire way of winning, as having more health doesn’t guarantee you’ll keep that health. Forces everyone to get up in each others’ faces.

Neil79: the multiplayer mode is getting close to done. I mean, it sort of is already it just needs minor tweaks, extra maps etc. the single player/coop game will take much longer as that’ll be playing second fiddle to cmo which is my main priority.