English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 August 2008, 00:37   #1
Photon

Hacking an LCD tv for Amiga display

Got an in-car TV that has a 1024x768 LCD. It does display PAL from my A600, but interlaced and very blurry (the latter due to composite in only).

My main goal is to remove the interlace and bypass composite somehow to give it a svideo signal.

Check the pics. Can anyone give a hint as to how to

1) remove the interlace and give it an svideo signal, or
2) use a scandoubler and give the 1024x768 display a VGA signal?

In the bottom image, the 2 small pcbs to the left are just for the buttons. on the mainboard, the connector to the right of the main logic ic goes to the display and the connector on the lower left gets +12V, gnd and two AV (composite) inputs.

Last edited by Photon; 31 August 2008 at 00:42.
Old 31 August 2008, 00:52   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You're gonna have to give us the model number of the panel.

You're gonna have to unglue the heatsink to get us the model number of the chip underneath and get ready with the Multi-meter to work out which pins on the connector go to which pins on that chip.

You're gonna have to give use the chip numbers of any other chips you think relevant.

You're gonna have to get better picture with better lighting.
Old 31 August 2008, 01:05   #3
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hi Photon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Got an in-car TV that has a 1024x768 LCD. It does display PAL from my A600, but interlaced and very blurry (the latter due to composite in only).

My main goal is to remove the interlace and bypass composite somehow to give it a svideo signal.

Check the pics. Can anyone give a hint as to how to

1) remove the interlace and give it an svideo signal, or
2) use a scandoubler and give the 1024x768 display a VGA signal?

In the bottom image, the 2 small pcbs to the left are just for the buttons. on the mainboard, the connector to the right of the main logic ic goes to the display and the connector on the lower left gets +12V, gnd and two AV (composite) inputs.
Judging by the board layout, it's reasonably safe to say that it employs an LCD controller chip from Realtek:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...Level=4&Conn=3

As alexh said, you will need to remove the heatsink to find out exactly which chip your board uses.

What you want to do will *NOT* be a trivial exercise.

Red
Old 31 August 2008, 01:16   #4
Eclipse
Turpentine

That heatsink compound looks like the permanent type as well.
Old 31 August 2008, 21:54   #5
Photon

It doesn't look like it conveys much heat from the chip either, but more like ordinary glue. Could be wrong tho.

OK guys, I will try to get some more info on it!

I was thinking more like probing the lcd connector to find an XGA sync frequency, then find RGB, but I'm really hazy when it comes to how these panels work...

And if the composite goes straight to the chip I guess I'm screwed as far as svideo is concerned.

Really would like to know why it interlaces composite tho, since it has plenty of pixels to "just scale" it. My A600 displays interlace-free on a normal crt tv.

If I could get the pinout, there might be pins to connect a scandoubler. I think it's my best bet for getting rid of fuzzy scaling.
Old 01 September 2008, 01:50   #6
essence25

Or you can always use a PSone LCD which does 15khz, I have 3 new ones in the box.

Here is the psone LCD hooked up to sega CDX via RGB that I was testing awhile back.

Old 01 September 2008, 13:59   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@essence25

Why thats a nice bit of Hackery you have there
Old 02 September 2008, 23:09   #8
Photon

Oh, it's 15 KHz alright, like yours. (In the same way any LCD screen is "15 KHz".)

But I've set my goals higher, such as a proper size screen and hires text readable so I can code on it. I'd go mad sitting and squinting at a 5"er, not to mention my aesthetic sense would be tingling from the ridiculously shaped screen
Old 06 September 2008, 16:52   #9
Photon

OK, back home. Here are some pics in high res. If you have suggestions on how to make better lighting (I'm using daylight+flash+ceiling light+desk lamp) or if you want a macro pic of a specific portion, just tell me and I'll take some more pics.

http://code2x.com/lcd-closeups/

Label says

TFT-LCM
L5S30335P00 (that's two zeros, not poo!)
F00A30055876110
AH121ZG05Z1844E6K814ZY

(I know, I don't need to give you the serial no. But anyway. )

Googling now...

Chip has 26+38+26+38 pins = 128 pins, if that can help pinpoint it. If someone has a good idea about removing the heatsink, I'm all ears It's pressed down quite hard, so it's tricky even using a razor to cut it.

Last edited by Photon; 06 September 2008 at 16:58.
Old 06 September 2008, 17:28   #10
Photon

Found the PDF for a 12.1" Epson brand LCD panel. Same one? http://www.data-modul.com/de/product...30335.pdf?nav=
Old 08 September 2008, 23:14   #11
Photon

Seems to be the right PDF. Haven't caught up with LCD displays, but it seems like the Realtek chip is there to feed data words to the display, right? Ie. not any type of video signal.

If I find the pinout for the chip, what would be easiest? Tricking it into taking SVGA rgb and using a scandoubler, or feeding it svideo and hope the scale blur and interlace magically disappears?
Old 09 September 2008, 01:38   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Photon

correct me if i am wrong, but that panel's input is digital the miggy outputs analogue, even with the SD/FF, you could bypass the existing DAC by using another DAC that interfaces with the panel,

Kontron Flat panel controller bords

I have done some business with company a few years ago, you can find some of thier more generic controllers on ebay from time to time.

IF you can get that heat sink of that controller chip I might be able to advise on the possible interfaces for the amiga analogue output.

[additional]

To be honest, I would shelve that unit, i know it wont feel right, but the amount of time and expense you could easily buy a newish LCD VGA panel from eBay, as well as a simple SVideo to VGA out, comes with extras most do...

lets see...

12" VGA TFT Monitor (aprx £25) and CRT/TFT Analogue Tuner £30 (and that comes with multiple inputs like RCA and RF

I looking into all this a while back for my CD32 Laptop, did all the schematics just never got ALL the components and time frankly.

Last edited by Zetr0; 09 September 2008 at 01:47.
Old 21 September 2008, 23:11   #13
Photon

Thx for replying Zetry-diddley-o!

Yes, a normal PC lcd and a scandoubler could be an easier solution. You linked to the tv tuner card just to give me (s)video connectors? I don't understand You linked to a flatpanel controller so I could buy a MacBook Air / other laptop VGA panel? Why would I need it for a normal PC lcd?

And I haven't seen a single VGA lcd that isn't thick as a brick (actually pretty close to its thickness, about 7-8 cm on its thickest point. So I'd need to find one that isn't.

Also, there the weight to consider. Bricks in laps are not enjoyable. The advantages of my current lcd tv is that it's actually pretty quick at updating game graphics and light in weight, and has the perfect size to fold over the A600.

So, tips for dissolving the white stuff (c) Weird Al, a thin lightweight 12-13" xga+ PC lcd (and companion scan doubler that fits inside the A60 - I have no clue about those), or maybe I'll chicken out and try to find a Joytech 9.2".

Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated!

Edit: oh, a panel controller for MY panel. doh. Yes, it would be nicer than a used eBay LCD. Would it fit tho? Either both it and the scandoubler inside the A600, or I rip out the innards of my panel and cut up the controller board to fit it there? Will it work with my specific panel, you think?

Last edited by Photon; 21 September 2008 at 23:23.