English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 26 April 2021, 10:35   #1
Fuzzball

Hello Fellow Amiga Fans

Hello to you all.

Although not the first computer I ever owned, I got the Amiga A500 soon after it was released in the UK and remains the only machine I've ever had any emotional attachment to. Everything else I have happily sold and moved on over the years but, even after it was no longer being used, the A500 was boxed up and put in the loft for safe keeping.

However, I recently had an urge to reminisce about those times and I searched in the loft for it a few weekends ago only to realize that at some point over the years and several house moves over that period it has somehow been lost. I'm not sure how that was possible. It was carefully boxed up with a huge number of floppy disks and clearly labelled on the front but sadly it's gone walkabout at some time.

So I considered replacing it with a second hand machine from Ebay. When I was young, I had always wanted to get an Amiga 1200 but, even saving money from a weekend job, I could never save enough to be able to afford one. So I looked at those on Ebay but it turns out they just go for too much these days.

I am currently looking into emulation instead and all the options that entails.
Old 26 April 2021, 11:22   #2
Shaitan

Welcome to the board Fuzzball.

I was like you. Stored a couple of Amigas (admittedly, in bits) in the loft .. but prior to a house rewire, a lot of stuff got taken to the tip or given away. If only i'd given it some thought!
Old 05 May 2021, 16:59   #3
simonhez

welcome FuzzBall if you want a computer that gives you the feel, you can look at the Pi 400 which is a pi 4 and keyboard combined, probably the closest to an Amiga outside of proper hardware. and its definitely powerful enough to run Amiga emulation
Old 05 May 2021, 17:08   #4
kriz

Always sucks when you think your collection is secure, then it is missing... Check out the latest WinUAE or FS-UAE for software.. As simonhez says: Pi4 is a great choice, as can a MiSTer fpga be .. Good luck
Old 05 May 2021, 17:19   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellow_(emulator)

Fellow is an emulator designed to run software written for the Amiga computer platform. Released under the GNU General Public License, Fellow is free software.
Old 05 May 2021, 17:46   #6
Pyromania

Welcome, enjoy your regular visits!
Old 06 May 2021, 17:06   #7
Fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Always sucks when you think your collection is secure, then it is missing... Check out the latest WinUAE or FS-UAE for software.. As simonhez says: Pi4 is a great choice, as can a MiSTer fpga be .. Good luck
Yes looked at both of those and went all in with the Mister FPGA even getting the MT32-Pi hat for Amiga games that support it. Not built it yet though.