Holly F...
Original Doom on Amiga is dead

There is nothing I'm looking forward to more than playing Dread
Old 20 May 2021, 18:29   #802
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
No one likes their own accent, whenever I hear my own Swedish accent I cringe but then I realize that no one likes their own voice so it's fine, don't worry about it dude
Nah, I'm fine. Just had to include some silly excuse is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
We need to play to play to the Amiga's strengths instead of trying to just brute force copy PC stuff, and you did it with grace and style.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
You know, the more I see it, the more I think this engine may also work really well for an RPG. The new enemy design kind of gives me those otherworldly feelings
Agreed, truth is with this engine a lot of cool stuff can be made.
Oh and btw this also just came in:

[ Show youtube player ]

Video is posted at the Street Fighter thread but it's also relevant here. Dennis talks a bit about Dread and showcases some of his work (11:40 - 16:13)

Last edited by Tsak; 20 May 2021 at 20:17.
Old 20 May 2021, 20:53   #803
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
And you did some incredible work mate.
Love your strategy on this one.

We need to play to play to the Amiga's strengths instead of trying to just brute force copy PC stuff, and you did it with grace and style.
Old 20 May 2021, 21:22   #804
d4rk3lf

These are lovely characters.
Dennis did great job!
Really like the lightning effects chain gun guy have when he is shooting.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:08   #805
KK/Altair

Quote:
However as I'd loath to hear again (and any time soon) my awkward greek-lish accent (...)
It was fine. Understandable, clear, and nice to listen to.
So basically, you are the only person remaining who still considers this a problem.

Quote:
I love your greek-lish accent. Just as I love KK's accent. We are not all native English speakers. You should hear my Dutch-lish accent!
Thanks. And I'd love to hear some interesting stuff from you, with your accent as well.

Quote:
You know, the more I see it, the more I think this engine may also work really well for an RPG. The new enemy design kind of gives me those otherworldly feelings
It would probably need some upgrades here and there, but probably yes.

And not that I didn't make one already - different platform, though, but similarily underpowered for the task.
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
No one likes their own accent, whenever I hear my own Swedish accent I cringe but then I realize that no one likes their own voice so it's fine, don't worry about it dude
I like my own voice, on the contrary. But still, I lack pronunciation skills, so expect a lot of words to be spoken in Polglish instead. I do check pronunciation with google translate, but it's tedious and I don't always catch everything.

In any case, a new video is in the works, showcasing the new graphics, but right now I'm at the early stage of writing the script.

(and procrastinating a lot on that, by for example prototyping floor/ceiling height support)
Old 21 May 2021, 11:23   #806
roondar

Cool, I'll need to check out Silas Adventure

Looking forward to the next video too!
Old 22 June 2021, 22:16   #807
d4rk3lf

I am reading some interesting interview about Amiga game Vitrual GP, here
And one answer, got my attention.

Quote:
17- Did you use these chuncky2planar routines in the game or did you create your own routines?
Quote:
17: The VGP 3d engine has no such a thing as a chunky2planar routine for the simple fact that the algorithm is not a “chunky pixel” one. The 3d engine of VGP works natively in the “planar space” (if I can use this metaphor) and uses directly the planar architecture of the Amiga, so no “conversion” is required.
The very fact that a chunky2planar routine is required in an engine is a demonstration of what I’ve said above – someone is “recycling” a wrong algorithm, an algorithm developed for an “alien” hardware, so it won’t, ever, achieve a very good performance (unless you have a lot of CPU power)!
Anyone can clarify this, to a noob like me?
Isn't chunky necessary, for 3D stuff?

Sorry for the little of topic, but I guess we can discuss these stuff while waiting next video and demo.
Old 22 June 2021, 22:22   #808
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Chunky is fast for texture mapping. 3D without texture mapping works OK on planar and even gets a slight boost from the blitter.
Old 22 June 2021, 22:32   #809
d4rk3lf

@Samurai_Crow
Thanks.
But the Virtual GP is heavily textured game, it seems to me:
[ Show youtube player ]

Are you saying that this guy, somehow managed to makes textured game, using only planar, and somehow even squeezed performance out of it?
Old 22 June 2021, 22:38   #810
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
@Samurai_Crow
Thanks.
But the Virtual GP is heavily textured game, it seems to me:
[ Show youtube player ]

Are you saying that this guy, somehow managed to makes textured game, using only planar, and somehow even squeezed performance out of it?
He probably used stencil maps instead of textures. Stencils are just additional polygons.
Old 23 June 2021, 06:06   #811
sandruzzo

If you think carefully, Amiga can have some sort of native "chunky"Interleaved bitmap, which is vertical chunky. Maybe He was able to find out how to use it properly combined with word Amiga GFX address
Old 23 June 2021, 09:48   #812
van_dammesque

VGP ran like a dog on my 040 25 Mhz machine!
Old 23 June 2021, 11:46   #813
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
He probably used stencil maps instead of textures. Stencils are just additional polygons.
Whatever it is, the implementation was dire. Games like this are what put me off texture-mapped 3D.

Last edited by Bruce Abbott; 24 June 2021 at 17:57.
Old 23 June 2021, 13:10   #814
AJCopland

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
You can do flat shaded 3D just fine on Amiga using planar, you can also "texture" it with various operations like Stencil https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Graphi...ough_a_Stencil and there's probably other ways of applying simple patterns to filled areas using the blitter etc.

Traditional "Texture Mapping" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping) like on PC might be possible using planar and the CPU but probably really inefficient to do... probably anyway, someone smarter than me might figure it out
Old 23 June 2021, 13:37   #815
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Deimos had some interesting threads posted here on this forum about non textured planar 3D on the Amiga.
Still incredibly difficult to pull off with enough fps and polygons, it seems.

add/edit: here is one of them http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=deimos

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 23 June 2021 at 13:46.
Old 23 June 2021, 20:14   #816
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
You can do flat shaded 3D just fine on Amiga using planar, you can also "texture" it with various operations like Stencil https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Graphi...ough_a_Stencil and there's probably other ways of applying simple patterns to filled areas using the blitter etc.
I seen this technique and somebody called Copperfill in some old demos; it was used in several demos included recently by Hologon to simulate Gouraud - however Da Jormas used first for this purpose

Hologon
[ Show youtube player ]

Da Jormas Major Release
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 June 2021, 15:19   #817
KK/Altair

Quote:
It is not. Chunky format allows efficient writing of individual pixels and that's it.
But if you can compute a row of 16 pixels on the CPU, in planar format and without running out of registers - you are good to go.

And that's what The Electric Knights do in their demos, although texturing with "only" 3 bitplanes. Dread is also partially doing this - 4 bits out of 16 are already in correct places, so my C2P needs only 2 passes to sort the stuff out.

In any case, saying about "recycling wrong algorithms", is simply unfair, when one is texturing mostly flat surfaces, which are naturally drawn horizontally. But wall texturing is done best in vertical stripes, so it will always a matter of finding a compromise.

Quote:
If The Electric Knights managed to do that 50 FPS on OCS (3 bitplanes, though), when I see no problem with AGA.

Quote:
Traditional "Texture Mapping" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping) like on PC might be possible using planar and the CPU but probably really inefficient to do...
Again - see the TEK demos.

In any case, C2P impact for Dread is not an issue, because it's offloaded to interrupts and doesn't slow down the CPU too much.
Old 26 June 2021, 15:30   #818
d4rk3lf

Thanks all for clarification - now it's much clearer.

Now I'll get back to wait (im)patiently for new video and the demo.
Old 04 July 2021, 10:45   #819
Spriteer

Dread looks awesome! Looking forward to play this on my A500 with Supra Turbo 28
Old 10 July 2021, 20:31   #820
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriteer View Post
Dread looks awesome! Looking forward to play this on my A500 with Supra Turbo 28
The Supra Turbo 28 is a super interesting design as it uses a 16kb cache instead of real fast ram. I think it works best for loops that fit in this cache. However, it is my understanding that Dread uses script generated unrolled loops and self modifying code. Would that be accelerated by a design like the Supra or other cache reliant accelerators like the AdSpeed?
Maybe KK could comment?

It's an interesting question