English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 February 2021, 02:42   #81
Pollock

I spent all last night playing this, and luckily i know the arcade game inside out, how much student grant went into that machine, i will never know, i prayed for this on the Amiga, after it came out on the 8bit machines, and it was awful. This really has made a 36 year old dream come true for me, thanks.

Sometimes, when you die, it keeps the speedup that you had, inside of going back to no speedups, so you die, and start again, and the ship is REALLY fast on the screen, sometimes, after dieing, the bullets shoot from behind me when i fire, but i am not complaining, i love it, it's magnificent.

Have you ever thought about doing an AGA version? it would look identical to the arcade, or maybe do an option for jopads etc, with more than one button.

You could do Salamander, i should imagine alot of the code is reusable.

Rastan would be a great choice
Old 09 February 2021, 04:29   #82
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
To be fair Akira; virtually all arcade Shoot 'Em Ups are like this...

Just gave this a go, plays beautifully in my A600 with ACA620!

Two things I noticed:
- 2nd button does not work with my Sega Megadrive pad.
- Checkpoints did not work on the first level at least, always took me back to the beginning when I lost (I am bad at this game ok, haha).
- The little enemies that are crawling on the ceiling and floor of the cave, are impossible to hit with the regular shot, the shot passes right through them without damage (laser works as intended), and if I get any lower/higher, I'd hit the cave.

It al just sounds and looks SO GOOD, it's really amazing. Kinda miss the powerup speech, but I guess you can't have everything!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 09 February 2021 at 16:25.
Old 09 February 2021, 12:26   #83
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
The lasers were relativly easy as they are just a single blitted line. It was even quicker to blit all 5 lasers then the 10 bullets you can have otherwise. On Amiga this was far easier to achive then in the arcade where they had to chain tons of sprites to do so
Thanks for the tech thread too. I'm just amazed that you have the blitting so efficient that you can have 32 colours, 3 buffers and so many objects on screen.

For non-techies 32 colours is a lot slower than 16 colours not just because of the extra data to handle, but because it needs more DMA slots which means the CPU and blitter have fewer available.

Quote:
Regarding collision detection i first tried hashed morton codes, but this was too slow in the end. Then i tried sorted Y buckets, but still too slow. In the end i was using a simple O^N compare but i skipped every 2nd item
and jittered the start item each frame. With enlarged hit boxes this was fast and accurate enough to ship.
That's how I would have done it too, based on my observation that a lot of games from that era used it and the player probably doesn't mind if it's a little bit inaccurate but in their favour. In fact I'm sure this is how the "tiny player hitbox" thing came about.

Quote:
Thanks I think most PC Engine games could be nicely redone on Amiga..
That's a very interesting comment! I was always impressed with the PC Engine and thought that the Amiga just couldn't push that much onto the screen. Having seen Tinyus though... Well there are a few PC Engine shoot-em-up games that seem like they could get decent ports now.
Old 09 February 2021, 13:27   #84
Konrad

Didn't find the time to play by now, but judging from the videos in this thread I'm truly amazed. Sounds great, looks great, and I'm sure plays great . Thanks alot Pink for another great conversion !
Old 09 February 2021, 13:31   #85
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post

Two things I noticed:
- Checkpoints did not work on the first level at least, always took me back to the beginning when I lost (I am bad at this game ok, haha).
- The little enemies that are crawling on the ceiling and floor of the cave, are impossible to hit with the regular shot, the shot passes right through them without damage (laser works as intended), and if I get any lower/higher, I'd hit the cave.

It al just sounds and looks SO GOOD, it's really amazing. Kinda miss the powerup speech, but I guess you can't have everything!
This is strange. I played this on my A1200 with a standard 3 button megadrive pad and the second button didnt work but when i tried it on my A500 with a SG ProPad Joypad (megadrive knock off pad) it did? Go figure?
Old 09 February 2021, 13:36   #86
trydowave

Quote:
R-Type was also an arcade, made for money, and it was a lot better designed/more balanced.
ive always R-type way harder than Gradius.
Old 09 February 2021, 13:50   #87
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
This is strange. I played this on my A1200 with a standard 3 button megadrive pad and the second button didnt work but when i tried it on my A500 with a SG ProPad Joypad (megadrive knock off pad) it did? Go figure?
2nd button never worked with Megadrive Pad on Amiga, the pad that works with the 2nd button is the Master System controller.
Old 09 February 2021, 13:54   #88
Toni Galvez

Quote:

Two things I noticed:

Use Master System controller for 2nd button.

Gradius do not have speech, Gradius 2 have it.
Old 09 February 2021, 15:07   #89
darkwave

What an absolutely stonking release! Stellar work
Old 09 February 2021, 15:18   #90
jayminer

I just tried it and this is super impressive! It plays so well! If only more arcade ports to the Amiga would have been this good!
Old 09 February 2021, 16:28   #91
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
2nd button never worked with Megadrive Pad on Amiga
That's 100% not true, both pads work, just not all code works with all pads.
Most WHDLoad installs have code that supports all multibutton controllers.

Quote:
Gradius do not have speech, Gradius 2 have it.
Good point, I had a brainfart there.
Old 09 February 2021, 17:06   #92
Havie

Quote:

Second button works in two button mode on my PSX convertor! Didn't try CD32 mode but will next time I have a play.
Old 09 February 2021, 17:06   #93
Havie

Oo-er - my 1000th post!
Old 09 February 2021, 17:07   #94
Havie

Damn - messed up my 1000 now!!!
Old 09 February 2021, 20:13   #95
nikosidis

In level 3 at the start. First enemy is the yellow on top that got a powerup.
Some times it is impossible to react it. In one continue it was not a single time I got to it.
I think it is important to get the speedup.
The game is a beauty Runs so perfect on my A600 Furia 020/38mHz
Old 09 February 2021, 21:09   #96
Toni Galvez

Quote:

As far as I know, none of the original games that uses 2nd button (Turrican saga, Apidya, BC Kid... ) plays ok with Master System controller, but does not work with Megadrive controller because it's got the buttons wired to other places and it got a multiplexer chip.

It is good that patched games support Megadrive controllers 2nd button.
Old 09 February 2021, 22:04   #97
Suicyco

Just had the game hang (music keeps playing, but the level does not restart) after dying on level 7 - semi-frustrating, but also great fun while it lasted... Also noticed some graphical glitches on the level 6 boss (things flying under it were corrupted).

One bug that is definitely there is that if you have something ready on the power up bar, but not yet activated, after completing the level the meter still shows this icon (say, "Option"), but when you collect the next power up, the meter actually starts from the beginning (both "Speedup" and "Option" are highlighted, but if you cash in, you will get only "Speedup").
Old 10 February 2021, 12:23   #98
trydowave

Quote:
2nd button never worked with Megadrive Pad on Amiga, the pad that works with the 2nd button is the Master System controller.
The SG ProPad Joypad works with it.
Old 10 February 2021, 14:18   #99
skyzoo73

I tried the game on Amiga500 (1meg) and Amiga 600 (2meg + 4fast) and I must say that I noticed a big difference in fluidity between the two machines.
- On the Amiga 500 the slowdowns are very present, let's say that the game is 60% smooth 40% slowed down.
- On the Amiga 600, on the other hand, the game is almost perfect (90% fluid 10% slowdowns) and slows down only in very few cases.

In theory, the two Amigas should be very similar in terms of cpu performance, but obviously the 2 mega chips and the fastram on the 600 give a boost on all fronts more than I thought.
Old 10 February 2021, 14:21   #100
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
I tried the game on Amiga500 (1meg) and Amiga 600 (2meg + 4fast) and I must say that I noticed a big difference in fluidity between the two machines.
- On the Amiga 500 the slowdowns are very present, let's say that the game is 60% smooth 40% slowed down.
- On the Amiga 600, on the other hand, the game is almost perfect (90% fluid 10% slowdowns) and slows down only in very few cases.

In theory, the two Amigas should be very similar in terms of cpu performance, but obviously the 2 mega chips and the fastram on the 600 give a boost on all fronts more than I thought.
chip does not matter but at once you add fast mem. you double the speed in many operations.