English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 October 2021, 00:29   #1
redblade
Zone Friend

Raspberry Pi Amiga Users, What OS are you guys using to program on?

Hi.

I've been playing around with the Raspberry Pi (3B+). What OS are you guys programming on? I would like to play around with Assembler.

I've tried RISCOS, Small, fast light weight, I don't have much experience with RISCOS, I used it at intermediate but I know that they are working on a WHDLoad type app to get all the old games to run on the PI (Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Lander). BBC BASIC is free, there is a commercial Developer Kit, and GNU tools are free, ** No current wifi support **. OPEN Source.

NeTBSD, Expands to the whole SD Card after installing, No WIFI support.

Raspberry PI OS, GNU Tools and working WIFI, the main os and probably the most supported. Has a bare metal assembler tutorial on the forum.

I still need to try the Amiberry OS.

I would like to install more than one OS on the SD Card but that auto expansion is frustrating.

Also the GBA had the ARM chip, so their would be a lot of demo ARM source available??

I also had a look at this Interim OS with source
Is there a AsmOne / AsmPro on RaspberryPI or one being worked on? Or even a AmigaMonitor (Timo Rossi (RIP)) clone?

Thanks.
Old 09 October 2021, 12:03   #2
daxb

Having several OS on one SD card by using NOOBS for example is good (or not) to check them out. If you have decided what to use then it is better to have one SD card for one OS. There exists SD card switcher if you don't like to swap the cards in case of more the one OS. Btw. at least Raspberry Pi OS can boot from USB.

Amiberry is not an OS. It is emulation/emulator. Amiberry can be installed with RetroPie witch can be installed on Raspberry Pi OS if you like. FSUAE can be installed too.
Old 09 October 2021, 22:44   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

Thanks daxb will check out NOOBS.
Old 10 October 2021, 12:27   #4
daxb

Just to make it clear. I don't recommend NOOBS (the RPi foundation recommended it back in the days but not anymore) or Berryboot for general use. It's more or less just for testing or you really want to have several OS on one drive. Easy OS install should be this: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/...i-setting-up/2
Old 27 November 2021, 19:11   #5
EctoOne

Instead of NOOBS I would suggest PINN. It's an extended version of NOOBS with a bigger selection of Operating Systems. I've been using it for quite a while now and never really had issues with multi boot. The only thing it is missing is an internal option to define sizes for the various systems, but there is this page: https://pinn.mjh.nz/ which let's you select partition sizes and creates a file which then can be copied on to the SD card/USB Stick. I believe resizing the partions afterwards requires some extra work, just using something like Gparted would mess things up.

If i remember correctly the development of NOOBS has ended recently but I'm not sure.