English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 December 2021, 04:39   #21
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
yes, you're correct usually the logic clue and SCSI controller are the first things to fall over.

as long as it boots ok, and runs ok, there should be no issue in the short term, it's a 33% overclock, that means you're pumping 33% more power (probably more) through those 20 year old chips, running the custom logic which is irreparable 33% harder and generating 33% more heat
Fixed that for you.

The CPU will be fine, but if that failed for some reason, you can just slap another one in. OR! Or... just convert it to an 060 and you will be using less power than you were to start with and it's all running at stock speeds. But you may be fine or if you start a thread one day with the title of "My BPPC quit today, get no display, no boot, but if I remove the accelerator the system runs fine" then we'll have forgotten about this thread entirely, or you can sell it as scrap and someone else can start a thread "Bought a BPPC condition unknown, untested and it doesn't work, where do I start troubleshooting" we can have a hoot with that thread instead.
Old 27 December 2021, 12:27   #22
Pollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Fixed that for you. .
I would be very grateful, if you didn't quote me, then change, or "fix" what i have typed. It's considered extremely rude. If you don't agree with my point of view, then quote me in it's entirety, and then present your argument to counter it, if you have any.

thanks
Old 27 December 2021, 19:49   #23
Jpor
Banned

Quote:

The CPU will be fine, but if that failed for some reason, you can just slap another one in. OR! Or... just convert it to an 060 and you will be using less power than you were to start with and it's all running at stock speeds. But you may be fine or if you start a thread one day with the title of "My BPPC quit today, get no display, no boot, but if I remove the accelerator the system runs fine" then we'll have forgotten about this thread entirely, or you can sell it as scrap and someone else can start a thread "Bought a BPPC condition unknown, untested and it doesn't work, where do I start troubleshooting" we can have a hoot with that thread instead.
So what you are saying is find someone to upgrade a BPPC card to an 060 at extra cost? Have done that in the past using Stanchu100. These too can fail and after spending extra monies. Plus it’s a no go for me living in the U.K as I tried sending some BPPC boards off before Christmas where they sat in Polish customs for a month before being sent back to me in a wet sodden box

You’re argument doesn’t make any sense, as you are implying that the Warp1260 and TF1260 cards (Which can be overclocked) would fail as well? Granted these are 68060 cards. But what you forget is that a lot of CPUs from 030 to 060 are overclocked by a few of us in the Amiga community as well as sellers such as Icomp etc…

You are also implying I’m a dishonest person, where I would sell none functioning cards to someone?
Old 29 December 2021, 05:34   #24
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
So what you are saying is find someone to upgrade a BPPC card to an 060 at extra cost? Have done that in the past using Stanchu100. These too can fail and after spending extra monies. Plus it’s a no go for me living in the U.K as I tried sending some BPPC boards off before Christmas where they sat in Polish customs for a month before being sent back to me in a wet sodden box

You’re argument doesn’t make any sense, as you are implying that the Warp1260 and TF1260 cards (Which can be overclocked) would fail as well? Granted these are 68060 cards. But what you forget is that a lot of CPUs from 030 to 060 are overclocked by a few of us in the Amiga community as well as sellers such as Icomp etc…

You are also implying I’m a dishonest person, where I would sell none functioning cards to someone?
I are argument is that newer cards like Warp1260 and TF1260 (the latter especially) have common available replaceable parts. A 25 year old BPPC does not have commonly available replaceable parts because the code is not available.

You don't necessarily do it, you sell it as scrap, and say hey this stopped working one day, give me $100. Someone else in the community says well the thing probably just needs caps or they did something wrong. They play around with it and says nuts, well I'm going to sell it as "untested" instead for $200. Then someone else buys it and thinks the same thing as the last guy, plays around with it and says nuts, well I'm just going to sell it as untested for $300 instead.

Since the 040 is soldered to the board, sure that's not an easy replacement. But adding a 3.3V VRM and a socket and moving some resistors isn't something you need to send it to Stachu for. Stachu does very fine work replacing the BGA PPC CPU and some other power modifications which takes a significant effort to test and make sure that it's probably ok.

But just saying hey I overclocked this board and It's Booting™, so I should be fine. If you don't care if it dies tomorrow or in a year, fine, it doesn't matter. People saying yeah hey my SCSI quit working but I don't use it lawl, might actually be saying hey my board is failing, but windows opening a little faster is all I want this winter, so who cares?
Old 29 December 2021, 09:10   #25
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
i are argument is that newer cards like warp1260 and tf1260 (the latter especially) have common available replaceable parts. A 25 year old bppc does not have commonly available replaceable parts because the code is not available.

You don't necessarily do it, you sell it as scrap, and say hey this stopped working one day, give me $100. Someone else in the community says well the thing probably just needs caps or they did something wrong. They play around with it and says nuts, well i'm going to sell it as "untested" instead for $200. Then someone else buys it and thinks the same thing as the last guy, plays around with it and says nuts, well i'm just going to sell it as untested for $300 instead.

Since the 040 is soldered to the board, sure that's not an easy replacement. But adding a 3.3v vrm and a socket and moving some resistors isn't something you need to send it to stachu for. Stachu does very fine work replacing the bga ppc cpu and some other power modifications which takes a significant effort to test and make sure that it's probably ok.

But just saying hey i overclocked this board and it's booting™, so i should be fine. If you don't care if it dies tomorrow or in a year, fine, it doesn't matter. People saying yeah hey my scsi quit working but i don't use it lawl, might actually be saying hey my board is failing, but windows opening a little faster is all i want this winter, so who cares?
Lawl.......
Old 29 December 2021, 19:56   #26
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Since the 040 is soldered to the board, sure that's not an easy replacement. But adding a 3.3V VRM and a socket and moving some resistors isn't something you need to send it to Stachu for. Stachu does very fine work replacing the BGA PPC CPU and some other power modifications which takes a significant effort to test and make sure that it's probably ok.
Ummmm…. Your argument is the 040 isn’t easy to remove and it just needs some resistors moving around with a 3.3v? Great if you are good at soldering

Okay that’s an idium you’ve just spouted

There is a lot more to it than that. Plus even Stanchu doesn’t give guarantees on the work due to the age of the boards. I’d rather have him do the work, but don’t see the need to spend another amount of monies getting boards sent to him with no guarantees. Where I can just replace an XTAL

Anyways it’s done now. If it fails… It fails. Each to their own
Old 30 December 2021, 06:40   #27
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Anyways it’s done now. If it fails… It fails. Each to their own
Cool, so just post a WhichAmiga with the serial number in view so when the next threads show up eventually we can stroke our beards with great consideration.
Old 06 January 2022, 22:20   #28
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Cool, so just post a WhichAmiga with the serial number in view so when the next threads show up eventually we can stroke our beards with great consideration.
Happy New Year Mister Negative!

Let’s just say this is working for me. If down the road this does fail, then It fails. Yes it’s old. But as I’ve iterated above, other card manufacturers deploy Overclocking both in the past and in the now.

Do you also identify as more than one entity? As the only person objecting to this is 1 person

As I’ve said before. Each to their own