English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 06 September 2021, 21:50   #121
mcgeezer

In this update I've added the heads up display (HUD) - all working and allocated to ingame counters.

A couple of nice technical things happen with this. The first is that the whole HUD is only 2 bitplanes, the head in the top left corner is a multiplexed sprite. Additionally, the updates work in such a way that only one part of the HUD will update each frame. So in the game there might be multiple updates, but they go into a pending queue and update across multiple frames

It became apparent when I was doing this that I have a spare couple of sprites to use for the water at the bottom of the screen so I'll likely use them for adding a water moving effect later on.

[ Show youtube player ]

Geezer
Old 06 September 2021, 22:10   #122
jotd
This cat is no more

can you tell which command you're using to enable dma debugger? and is there some doc about the meaning of the colors and all?

VERY nice effort. I wonder why you need a sprite for the head, though. It doesn't scroll or gets updated. Why not just blit it and voilĂ ?
Old 06 September 2021, 22:55   #123
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
can you tell which command you're using to enable dma debugger? and is there some doc about the meaning of the colors and all?

VERY nice effort. I wonder why you need a sprite for the head, though. It doesn't scroll or gets updated. Why not just blit it and voilĂ ?
Sure.

"v -2" will enable the visual debugger, "v -3" will also do it with a different resolution.

I need a sprite for the head because it's 16 colours, blitting it would mean I would have to enable 4 bitplanes for the HUD. By only enabling 2 bitplanes I gain a lot of free cycles because bitplane DMA is reduce - you can see this in the dark Blue strips... at the top of the display the DMA is thinner/reduced.

The colours are:

Dark Blue = Bitplane DMA
Purple = Sprite DMA
Turquoise = Blitter DMA (notice it start when I scroll as it blits tiles in)
Yellow = Copper
Red = Audio DMA
Grey I believe is CPU executions.
Old 07 September 2021, 07:12   #124
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Sure.

"v -2" will enable the visual debugger, "v -3" will also do it with a different resolution.

I need a sprite for the head because it's 16 colours, blitting it would mean I would have to enable 4 bitplanes for the HUD. By only enabling 2 bitplanes I gain a lot of free cycles because bitplane DMA is reduce - you can see this in the dark Blue strips... at the top of the display the DMA is thinner/reduced.

The colours are:

Dark Blue = Bitplane DMA
Purple = Sprite DMA
Yellow = Copper
Red = Audio DMA
Great idea with the sprite head...
Old 07 September 2021, 10:02   #125
roondar

Quote:
Sure.
The colours are:

Dark Blue = Bitplane DMA
Purple = Sprite DMA
Yellow = Copper
Red = Audio DMA
To add to this, there's two CPU colours. One grey and one dark red. The grey colour stands for CPU memory reads, the dark red one for CPU memory writes. Chip memory only, of course.

Nice that the HUD is only 2BPL, cool trick to use a Sprite for the head - combined this saves a bunch of time for the Blitter
Old 07 September 2021, 22:08   #126
Zack

The different dma debug colours are defined here in the code:

https://github.com/tonioni/WinUAE/bl...ebug.cpp#L1400
Old 07 September 2021, 22:53   #127
mcgeezer

The eagle eyed among you will notice what I've done here.

[ Show youtube player ]

So widening the screen from 256 pixels to 320 pixels and making better use of the hardware... this wasn't easy due to the stupid way Amiga sprites work.

Anyone who says the Amiga hardware sprites are great really need their heads looking at, they are in my opinion absolutely crap!

Using a DDFSRT value of $30 means I lose the last sprite due to bitplane DMA having precedence over sprite DMA, no problem I thought as I only use 7 of the 8 sprites anyway.

The player uses sprite banks 0/1 + 2/3 + 4/5 and the hit sprite (when the knife hits the player) uses sprite 6/7.

However, because you need the hit sprite to be in front of the player and not behind the hit sprite needs to be in bank 0... so that means you lose bank 0/1... and since I don't have bank 6/7 anymore I now can't use a hit with a 48 pixel wide sprite.

Luckily.... when the player is hit, there is only a 32 pixel wide sprite shown and therefore only two banks are needed so the hit sprite goes in 0/1, and the player sprite in 2/3 + 4/5.

Very lucky - but had the Amiga hardware sprites being better designed then this would have been a simple problem - something them new fangled consoles don't have to worry about.

Geezer

Last edited by mcgeezer; 07 September 2021 at 23:00.
Old 07 September 2021, 23:03   #128
jotd
This cat is no more

for Pacman I used sprites for ghosts but can't use sprite for pacman because that would mean sharing the palette with one of the ghosts.

A limitation the original 1980 hardware doesn't have (even if it has only 6 sprites)

Conclusion: very difficult to create some generic engine when sprites are involved. But sprites are necessary to get a better framerate / less overhead...
Old 07 September 2021, 23:05   #129
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

This wider screen is . This is really better.
Not sure, but on the video it seems to me that the black suited guy (the one with a mask) is grabbing the hero without really touching him ?
Old 07 September 2021, 23:05   #130
mcgeezer

Quote:
for Pacman I used sprites for ghosts but can't use sprite for pacman because that would mean sharing the palette with one of the ghosts.

A limitation the original 1980 hardware doesn't have (even if it has only 6 sprites)

Conclusion: very difficult to create some generic engine when sprites are involved. But sprites are necessary to get a better framerate / less overhead...
I was just saying there on my Discord that they are complex and inflexible to use, they simply lack basic stuff as well:

x/y flipping and priority changing...

They are frustrating and painful to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
This wider screen is . This is really better.
Not sure, but on the video it seems to me that the black suited guy (the one with a mask) is grabbing the hero without really touching him ?
Thanks, you shouldn't really take too much notice of the collisions at the moment - they all need work. At the moment it's just about getting the basic engine working.
Old 08 September 2021, 10:56   #131
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I was just saying there on my Discord that they are complex and inflexible to use, they simply lack basic stuff as well:

x/y flipping and priority changing...

They are frustrating and painful to use.
Yep, it's nice they are there for some little trick shit you can do with them, e.g. parallax backgrounds, head up displays in front of the bitplanes, etc.

But these usually only work really well in 4 BPL mode.

For moving objects, which would be their real purpose, they are quite bad and difficult to use in a sensible way.

So, yes, you could say they are shit.
Old 08 September 2021, 14:14   #132
jotd
This cat is no more

they're perfect for the pacman ghosts. 3 colors max: check, 16 pix wide max: check, 4 different palettes: check.

otherwise they suck.
Old 09 September 2021, 23:18   #133
mcgeezer

This update is a nice one as it's showcasing TenShu's awesome graphics in the game... this is stages one and two of the game.

[ Show youtube player ]

Don't worry... I will change the sound, I just needed a bit of Rick Dangerous in my life.

Geezer
Old 09 September 2021, 23:25   #134
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

That is really solid looking, really nice
Old 09 September 2021, 23:35   #135
jotd
This cat is no more

tell me there are palette changes. 32 colors that can't be possible.

Spotted "Turbo Sprint" add and "Cobra" movie poster, alongside with Jaws and Freddy?
Old 09 September 2021, 23:39   #136
Radertified

Quote:

Spotted "Turbo Sprint" add and "Cobra" movie poster, alongside with Jaws and Freddy?
Top Gun - Evil Dead 2 - Jaws - Cobra - Turbo Sprint - Evil Dead 2 again (all the way at the end)
Old 09 September 2021, 23:44   #137
mcgeezer

Quote:
Yeah there's plenty of palette changes in there.
Old 09 September 2021, 23:54   #138
jotd
This cat is no more

Not sure it has been done very frequently to have a graphist that knows that dynamic palette can be used and uses it in a game like this, must be in very close cooperation with the coder.

I saw a lot of copper rainbow shit or plasma demo or static images / dual screens / status bars with different colors but nothing like this. This is just excellent.
Old 09 September 2021, 23:55   #139
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Top Gun - Evil Dead 2 - Jaws - Cobra - Turbo Sprint - Evil Dead 2 again (all the way at the end)
Yes, the movie posters are a nice touch in the background
Maybe one more could find a place on the walls ?
(Big trouble in little China)
Old 10 September 2021, 00:02   #140
mcgeezer

Quote:
Not sure it has been done very frequently to have a graphist that knows that dynamic palette can be used and uses it in a game like this, must be in very close cooperation with the coder.

I saw a lot of copper rainbow shit or plasma demo or static images / dual screens / status bars with different colors but nothing like this. This is just excellent.
You might not believe me but there's only one colour in the palette that changes. I've attached the gradient for stage 2 shown in the video. The credit really goes to 10shu as I'm unsure how he does it, I just wrote a program to read the RGB changes at the lines and generate a copper list based on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DevilsTemple-Stage2_Gradiant.png
Views:	93
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	73151