English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 11 February 2005, 02:10   #1
lpopman

Compiling Alien Breed 3D II

I've just downloaded the source code to Alien Breed 3D II from aminet, and I don't know where to start

I can see some AMOS files there, but which is the main file, and what compilers do I need to build it?

Any help would be appreciated..
Old 13 June 2005, 01:50   #2
Hercules

Forget it.

Old 13 June 2005, 03:46   #3
Chuckles
The Ancient One

That was helpful ... not!

Seriously, I'd have to assume that compilation of the source code would be possible IF you happen to have all of the required tools and libraries, unless some key piece of source code was never released. Sometimes getting all of the required components you need to allow compilation to be done can be a bit tricky, but if you can manage that then there is no reason why you couldn't compile the code if you have a FULL set of source code available to you AND if you have all libraries it might need. As far as identifying what prerequisites you might have to satisfy first before being able to compile AB3D2 is concerned, I'm afraid I couldn't begin to guess since I have no familiarity with the code, but someone here may be more familiar with the requirements and they might be able to elaborate.
Old 17 June 2005, 02:14   #4
Hercules

It could be worse. You need his whole setup including paths and tools which you don't really know anything about.

You might ask some SAS/C expert. Are there even any makefiles included?

Old 17 June 2005, 02:32   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Paths aren't too big of an issue, since those can be determined and modified by examining the various files that make up the project, and then can be modified if needed. The only parts of his setup you actually need are those relevant to the programming tools used to develop the code, or bits that are referenced by the code. Getting the tools and any unusual libraries and such is generally the hardest part. Not being familiar with the code for AB3D2, I don't know what those would be, aside from the fact that he mentions that at least some of the source appears to be AMOS. I wouldn't think that finding AMOS should be too hard to do, but if it needs a particular version that could be difficult to determine. And if any of the source is (for example) assembler code that is used to build an object to be linked in (assuming that AMOS supports such things), then you'd also need whatever tools it took to build that object. It's not that figuring out how to compile the source code is something that nobody could possibly figure out how to do (assuming that it is all there), but the hassle involved in doing so usually isn't worth it unless you have some compelling reason to. Its kind of hard for me to think of any reason I'd really want to be re-compiling AB3D2 myself, but I suppose someone might have looked at enough of the code that they think they could make some significant improvement to it.
Old 17 June 2005, 02:36   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules
Are there even any makefiles included?
I just saw this question, and it would be a key one for me. If whatever code he has doesn't include the makefiles, then it's all pretty much guesswork when it comes to how to compile it, and probably isn't worth the effort.
Old 17 June 2005, 10:53   #7
girv
Mostly Harmless

ISTR getting the main exe to assemble once using Devpac 3. There were no makefiles, so I picked a likely looking "main" file and started with that. IIRC this file included the other ones it needed directly.

Thing is, I also recall that when I did assemble it, it didnt work!

Non-MS programmers will note that compile != work
Old 17 June 2005, 11:53   #8
LaundroMat

But.... AMOS files?
Old 17 June 2005, 12:03   #9
girv
Mostly Harmless

The AMOS files I think are for various level editors, gfx convertors etc. that you end up needing when developing a game. I dont think they're strictly necessary to rebuild the game exe itself.