English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 15 June 2021, 16:52   #1
stylon

doublesidedgames.com

Hi,

Has anyone successfully ordered stuff from this site in the UK recently? I tried to place an order last week but when I reached the checkout it said there were no valid postage options.

I've ordered Black Dawn Rebirth and other (C64) games from them without issues in the past.

I reached out to them via their 'contact us' form to see what the problem was but they never bothered to respond...
Old 15 June 2021, 17:19   #2
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I think with that game specifically, Doublesided Games don't sell it anymore. Just tried and I got a notice they don't. The developers are selling it themsleves now at this site: https://timeslip1974.itch.io/black-dawn-rebirth
Old 15 June 2021, 17:19   #3
funK

I bought one of the last few available Black Dawn Rebirth copies from them more than one year ago: needless to say, I have never received the game nor did they even bother to answer any of my multiple requests asking for its shipment status.
Now their site says they're based in France but when I placed my order back then I'm pretty certain they were located in Canada instead: maybe they changed owner in the meantime, so hopefully there will be someone now getting back to you.
But given that BDR author released the game for free elsewhere and there's no Amiga game left in their store anymore, I think it's pretty safe to assume they're completely dead as far as Amiga games publishment goes.
Old 15 June 2021, 17:24   #4
kriz

That is not good, no response on any email ? I think the guy moved to France from Canada... I bought it and got it, but was quite expensive so you really should get a refund funK !!
Old 15 June 2021, 17:26   #5
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Yeah, if that is happening, definitely push for a refund. Someone should know what is going on. Maybe speak to the developers of the game?
Old 15 June 2021, 17:51   #6
stylon

Yeah I just used Black Dawn as an example (of something I'd successfully purchased)... I was actually trying to order 'Don't break the balls' for the 64. It says it's in stock...

I'm sure I remember them being based in Canada too!

Last edited by stylon; 15 June 2021 at 18:01.
Old 15 June 2021, 17:55   #7
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
That is not good, no response on any email ? I think the guy moved to France from Canada... I bought it and got it, but was quite expensive so you really should get a refund funK !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Yeah, if that is happening, definitely push for a refund. Someone should know what is going on. Maybe speak to the developers of the game?
To be honest, I haven't bothered that much in part because they at least gave me a digital download at the time, but mainly because there's a pandemic still going on, so maybe the packet is still stuck somewhere waiting to be picked up again?
Having also dealt with AmigaKit last year, I'm kind of got used to radio-silent "support" in Amiga land, lol.
Old 15 June 2021, 18:50   #8
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

The guy who runs Double Sided Games moved to France in 2020, IIRC, which is why they're based out of there now instead of Quebec. I met him at World of Commodore 2019, so he was definitely in Canada before (he drove in to Toronto for it).
Old 15 June 2021, 20:36   #9
kriz

funK: Have you tried writing to the twitter and ask ? https://twitter.com/dsidedgames ?
Old 16 June 2021, 09:02   #10
mcgeezer

Jeremie Marsin is the owner of DSG, he did indeed move from Canada to France back last year. Due to Brexit DSG no longer ship to the UK due to customs and VAT declaration wven on low value items, however there are some changes coming on July 1st where the EU will do the same.
Old 16 June 2021, 11:35   #11
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Jeremie Marsin is the owner of DSG, he did indeed move from Canada to France back last year. Due to Brexit DSG no longer ship to the UK due to customs and VAT declaration wven on low value items, however there are some changes coming on July 1st where the EU will do the same.
Thanks - that'll be why then. I know Individual Computers stopped shipping to the UK for a few months but they started back up again in April thankfully.

Hope they sort it out - if he could post from Canada to the UK I can't see what the difference would be sending from France...
Old 17 June 2021, 11:23   #12
retroredrum

Hi all,

I'm the owner of DSG.

Very sad to read these comments, that make me look like a bad guy (which I'm not).

So to summarize :
- Yes, I don't sell BDR anymore. Developer has taken back his "rights" and I can't sell it anymore.
- Yes, I used to be in Canada and I moved back to France and will only ship from there from now on. I've done several posts about this on social networks and in the news section of the website !
- Yes, I've stopped selling to the UK (thanks Brexit), I've started working on doing the necessary paperwork and it's a nightmare, an absolute mess. I hope I can see the end of it at some point, not sure really. (Lost about 30% of my customers)
- Yes, shipping costs for outside Europe are way more than I expected sadly. I've worked through several options and couldn't find cheaper. (Lost another 20% of my customers)
- No, I can't use a reseller because as of now I'm not making any money on the games (actually I'm even losing money) so I don't have any room for any fees a reseller would want.

@funk, I can't remember being in debt of any lost BDR package ... I have shipped 2 or 3 copies of other games to people that never got them, so I don't see why I wouldn't have done it for you? I'd have to check if I have what it takes to make a new copy to send you, let's keep in touch.

I'm a one person company with a day job, that moved across the world during covid. It has not been an easy 2020 (for anyone), I'm only starting to get things back together, and I'm doing my best resettling everything here as I had to start from scratch all over again (company creation, suppliers, french bureaucracy... etc etc) !

I'm not trying to rant just for the sake of it, but seeing all your messages is really a downer for me, so I'm trying to explain.

Finally, the best way to reach me is Twitter or Facebook if you need something, so don't hesitate and please be patient.

In the end I hope that you enjoyed the games, and thanks again for the support !
Old 17 June 2021, 11:31   #13
stylon

Hope you are able to resolve the UK shipping issues soon. I really enjoyed Black Dawn and Hired Sword 2 and would order plenty more given the opportunity!
Old 17 June 2021, 13:51   #14
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I received my BDR box on time (I do not remember when I have ordered it, though) and I hope DSG will be back in game again soon as I would like other games to be released (especially Shadow of Sergoth and Super Metal Hero).
Old 17 June 2021, 14:10   #15
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I too am looking forward to Shadows of Sergoth and Super Metal Hero, and plan to order them as soon as they are respectively available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylon View Post
if he could post from Canada to the UK I can't see what the difference would be sending from France...
The answer to this is the European Union.
Old 17 June 2021, 20:56   #16
kriz

So nobody can just send a letter or package to the UK ? Can`t you just send it the normal way in the post ? Seems strange that the EU will block packages from going into the Uk.
Old 17 June 2021, 21:09   #17
Pyromania

@retroredrum

Nice to see you here and thanks for supporting Amiga. Do you ship to the USA? I'm excited to find some stuff to buy from you.

Last edited by Pyromania; 17 June 2021 at 21:51.
Old 17 June 2021, 21:31   #18
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
So nobody can just send a letter or package to the UK ? Can`t you just send it the normal way in the post ? Seems strange that the EU will block packages from going into the Uk.
Custom declarations. Annoying, expensive and time consuming. I also stopped buying from UK until this is politically resolved, costed me a lot already.
Old 18 June 2021, 11:41   #19
stylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Custom declarations. Annoying, expensive and time consuming. I also stopped buying from UK until this is politically resolved, costed me a lot already.
And yet plenty of other places are happy to post to the UK so it's not an insurmountable problem. Anyway it is what it is - just disappointing that's all.
Old 18 June 2021, 15:01   #20
klx300r

@ retroredrum

thanks for the update & also for delivering the map for Hired Sword 2?? FWIW had no issues dealing with you while you were set up in Canada and hope you get settled in France soon