English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 January 2022, 16:00   #41
yelworC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskogen View Post
With the new showconfig, how can I pipe the output to a file like on 3.2?
Taken from release note in 3.2.1 update archive:

"Showconfig can now create a system report file either as text or AmigaGuide
The report generator can be invoked from CLI only at the moment by using the
REPORT and FORMAT arguments to specify the file name and format (GUIDE or TEXT)
Example: ShowConfig REPORT RAM:MyReport.guide FORMAT GUIDE"

So use for example "showconfig report ram:report.txt format text" to have a text output written to ram:report.txt
Old 05 January 2022, 19:12   #42
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
good to know that I was not the only moron to "do" so...
Just FYI I contacted a guy on a1k.org (the German EAB) who sent a copy of an invoice to Hyperion without any luck.
Old 06 January 2022, 08:23   #43
Solskogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I don't have a 3.2.1 Rom here for tests, but in WinUAE RAM Advanced memory settings try the Z3 mapping mode "UAE" instead of "Automatic" or "Real". Then look into "Hardware Info" and ensure that everything, inclusive RTG board, is mapped to addresses below 0x80000000, or you may get in trouble, because some programs (like my IconLib too) will reject anything above 2 GB (negative numbers) as insane for a traditional Amiga, most likely it's a wrong address. And what do you need 1 GB of memory for? I'm always happy with 128 MB here.

Even if I use UAE mapping the RTG board still gets mapped to 0x80000000 in AmigaOS. WinUAE claims that the start address is 0x50000000 regardless of the Z3 mapping mode setting.

The strange thing is that the P96 problem only occurs on 3.2.1 roms, not 3.2. And on both kickstarts the RTG gets mapped to 0x80000000.
But yes, setting the memory down to 512M fixes the problem.
Old 06 January 2022, 11:41   #44
PeterK

Quote:
Even if I use UAE mapping the RTG board still gets mapped to 0x80000000 in AmigaOS. WinUAE claims that the start address is 0x50000000 regardless of the Z3 mapping mode setting.
No, this can only happen if you push up too many memory settings to the limit (i.e. 1 GB 32-bit ChipMem + 1 GB Z3 FastMem and 1 GB VRam, so similar crazy configurations).
I have tried it with 1 GB FastMem + 512 MB VRam, and it stays below 0x70000000, but I only need 32 MB VRam and no 32-bit ChipMem at all.

But ok, if the Amiga OS 3.2.1 mapping is different than the WinUAE mapping then I can't reproduce it here. Maybe something has changed in the AutoConfig software?

Last edited by PeterK; 06 January 2022 at 12:23.
Old 06 January 2022, 13:29   #45
Solskogen

Take a look at the screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showconfig.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	74312   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	74313  
Old 06 January 2022, 13:41   #46
bebbo
bye

is execute broken?

On a fresh installed WinUAE system:

Code:
1.Work:> version
Kickstart 47.102, Workbench 47.3
1.Work:> type s:test1
execute s:test2
1.Work:> type s:test2
prompt
1.Work:> execute s:test1
"XECUTE: Can't open "s:test2
object not found
execute failed returncode 10
Old 06 January 2022, 14:03   #47
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
is execute broken?

On a fresh installed WinUAE system:

Code:
1.Work:> version
Kickstart 47.102, Workbench 47.3
1.Work:> type s:test1
execute s:test2
1.Work:> type s:test2
prompt
1.Work:> execute s:test1
"XECUTE: Can't open "s:test2
object not found
execute failed returncode 10

Looks like you have a CR (\r) before the LF. Bet if you do type s:test1 HEX it'll show the line ending in 0D 0A
Old 06 January 2022, 14:15   #48
PeterK

Quote:
Take a look at the screenshots
Yes, that's strange. With older Roms there's no such discrepancy, RTG is always at 0x50000000 in showconfig.
Old 06 January 2022, 15:02   #49
bebbo
bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Looks like you have a CR (\r) before the LF. Bet if you do type s:test1 HEX it'll show the line ending in 0D 0A

oh yes - thanks so much
Old 08 January 2022, 06:11   #50
droopy
Old Hippie user

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
It would be nice if hyperion would issue a new key to those who have lost it and can prove a purchase

How would those users prove that they have a legal copy of the roms and software ? It's not to hard for greedy people to have a burnt rom and illegal cvopy of the CD..

The companys like Hyperion need all the support they can get for the work they put in to supporting the Amiga. Users that pirating the ROM and software are destroying that.

Yes.. people that did not "se the serial on the casing" and throw it away might suffer from their negliance because of those pirates, but it's not that expensive to get a new copy and by buying two of them they support the Amiga community.

I have friends that did not notice the serial on the outer casing and they accepted their mistake and bought a new copy and registered that one.

Sine the world are full of greedy people that would do pirating, we that try to support the Amiga get in this kind of situations sometimes. But belive me it's much better to buy a new copy and let the people that do the hard work get some payment.. no one are getting rich on writing software for a niche computer like the Amiga..It's not MICROSOFT volumes they sell you know.
Old 08 January 2022, 10:08   #51
E-Penguin
Banana

You're on dodgy ground there, Hyperion are paying exactly $0 to the developers.

An invoice or receipt should be sufficient as proof of purchase.
Old 08 January 2022, 10:10   #52
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
You're on dodgy ground there, Hyperion are paying exactly $0 to the developers.
And while it's true that it is not Microsoft volumes they are selling here, at least Microsoft pays their Devs...

Last edited by jbenam; 08 January 2022 at 10:44. Reason: Typo
Old 18 January 2022, 04:17   #53
comraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
It was on the outer package of the CDROM. I threw my packaging away. I know I'm not the only one
Oh wow, you HAVE to be kidding me... it's only on the outside packaging?! I was stuck on that error message too and just came upon this thread.. Why didn't they just put the serial sticker on the product itself, like practically everyone else in the world does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
How would those users prove that they have a legal copy of the roms and software ? It's not to hard for greedy people to have a burnt rom and illegal cvopy of the CD..
That's what an invoice from an official dealer is for, literally a "proof of purchase".

The Amiga community is small enough as it is, forcing a loyal customer to fork over $50 because Hyperion won't accept their own official dealer's proof of purchase? No wonder folks hate Hyperion... Characterizing Hyperion's lack of customer service (honoring their proof of purchase) as a customer's "mistake" isn't right. I paid up and am a legitimate customer, how am I supposed to know to save the outside packaging? (I didn't even see a sticker or anything, and the product description at Amiga on the Lake says nothing about it either).
Old 18 January 2022, 07:01   #54
Warty

I work in a regulated industry, and we have to be very clear about signatures on quality documents. Fairly recently, it was determined we could sign scanned documents electronically... All we had to do was use Acrobat's signature feature, the print out the document, hold it up for the camera, and take a picture of ourselves holding the document. Simple!

Anyway... maybe they could accept a photo of you holding up your 3.2 CD-ROM. I doubt there's a huge blackmarket printing off silkscreened CD-ROMs with copies of Amiga OS on them. ;0
Old 18 January 2022, 08:14   #55
Romanujan

I also don’t uderstand why it is on the outer package, so everybody who gets his hands on the box can steal the serial number… we should be glad Hyperion is not a game publisher
Old 18 January 2022, 16:25   #56
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Wouldn't be surprised if it was due to cutting manufacturing costs. It'd be a whole lot cheaper to get the CDs produced, cased, and shrinkwrapped all in one, and then print out and stick on the key labels yourself, than to have the key labels introduced during the manufacturing (not to mention the extra setup time so that the manufacturer has valid keys to put in each case).
Old 22 January 2022, 07:29   #57
comraider

I can understand the cost cutting, but at the very least the dealers could tell people to keep the shrinkwrap. Sadly neither Hyperion nor AOTL are doing anything for their customers despite all the proof of purchase. They seriously can't just send an LHA over once they've verified the invoice? I'll keep buying new IBrowse and P96 licenses but this is my last Hyperion purchase.
Old 22 January 2022, 17:53   #58
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comraider View Post
I can understand the cost cutting, but at the very least the dealers could tell people to keep the shrinkwrap. Sadly neither Hyperion nor AOTL are doing anything for their customers despite all the proof of purchase. They seriously can't just send an LHA over once they've verified the invoice? I'll keep buying new IBrowse and P96 licenses but this is my last Hyperion purchase.
I bought another copy. Sigh... Serial number on the outside seems more prominent now.

I also support IBrowse & P96.
Old 22 January 2022, 19:29   #59
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by comraider View Post
They sent me a serial number a few days ago when i sent them my invoice (thanks Retropassion for the heads up) It's definitely something that's happening.
Old 22 January 2022, 20:35   #60
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
They sent me a serial number a few days ago when i sent them my invoice (thanks Retropassion for the heads up) It's definitely something that's happening.
A pleasure :-)