English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 August 2023, 11:57   #1
TEG

Informations on Mehdi Ali

Searching informations on Mehdi Ali, I stumbled on this quote:

Quote:
"He did not have a strategy. He did not have a business plan. He did not provide a Direction, a Vision for everyone. There was not aligment and therefore, they did not have commitment from all the team at all levels."
Source

Does someone have an idea from where it come from? From an interview? From the Desert?

On a side note, I read somewhere that the Mehdi Ali Wikipedia page was once deleted. I don't know but currently it's true there's no Wikipedia page about him.
Old 13 August 2023, 17:07   #2
Matt_H

Read the linked source again - the author is misquoting himself in that blockquote. In the body text, it says They (referring to Commodore as a whole) rather than He (referring to Mehdi Ali).

Regardless, it’s just the analysis/assessment/opinion of the author of that post. It doesn’t come directly from a newly unearthed historical source.
Old 20 August 2023, 23:07   #3
oscar_ates

What I read so far is he was a really bad manager. Would be nice to get more information even from his words. It is obvious that commodore went down under his and Goulds watch.
Old 21 August 2023, 09:42   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's odd that he doesn't have a Wikipedia page. While looking for that quote I found this article: https://www.commodore.ca/commodore-h...-of-commodore/
Old 21 August 2023, 10:33   #5
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's odd that he doesn't have a Wikipedia page. While looking for that quote I found this article: https://www.commodore.ca/commodore-h...-of-commodore/
Additional information about Gould and Mehdi Ali

https://www.afr.com/companies/commod...19900126-kalsw

Jack Tramiel, exited in 1984.
Marshall Smith, exited in 1986.
Thomas Rattigan, exited in 1987(?).
Max Toy, exited in late 1998-1989(?).
Mehdi Ali became Commodore International's president early in 1989.

"Read My Lips, No New Chips" memo during Amiga 3000's development seems to be under Max Toy and into Mehdi Ali.
Old 21 August 2023, 10:46   #6
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Max Toy. What a name. Surprised Mattel don't have that registered somewhere.
Old 21 August 2023, 11:03   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Max Toy. What a name. Surprised Mattel don't have that registered somewhere.
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1611519
Old 21 August 2023, 12:42   #8
Calabazam

With this line of CEO, Amiga guys may have regretted their company was not bought by Atari instead of Commodore after all.
The Atari Amiga 500 sounds weird though.
Old 22 August 2023, 00:08   #9
eXeler0

I couldn't resist asking ChatGPT to write a short bio on Mehdi. Here goes.

Q: Write a biography about Mehdi Ali, once the CEO of Commodore. Maximum of 1000 words, highlight notable career events and achievements particularly those relevant to his years at Commodore.

ChatGPT
Mehdi Ali: The Commodore Era and Beyond

Mehdi Ali is often remembered as one of the key figures at Commodore during its tumultuous final years. The narrative of his tenure as CEO is frequently characterized by the decline and eventual bankruptcy of the once-giant tech company, but a closer look reveals a story that's both nuanced and complex.

Early Years and Professional Beginnings

While details of Mehdi Ali's early life and education are limited, by the time he joined Commodore, he already had a formidable resume. With a background in banking and finance, Ali was well-versed in corporate management and restructuring. His experience was deemed valuable, especially as Commodore entered the 1990s, facing stiff competition and internal challenges.

Commodore's Dilemma

By the late 1980s, Commodore was at a critical juncture. Its Amiga computer line, despite being revolutionary in terms of graphics and multimedia capability, was struggling to gain a solid market share, especially in the US where Apple, IBM, and emerging PC-compatibles dominated.

Commodore's challenges weren't solely external. Internally, the company faced issues ranging from mismanagement to a lack of clear direction. This was the backdrop against which Mehdi Ali was brought on board.

Taking the Helm

In 1990, Ali was appointed as the President and CEO of Commodore International. His tenure came at a time when the company needed a significant turnaround. While many of Commodore's problems predated his leadership, the challenges he encountered were monumental.

Notable Efforts at Commodore

Amiga 600 and 1200: Under Ali's leadership, Commodore released the Amiga 600 and 1200 models, which were compact and more user-friendly. They were attempts to rejuvenate the Amiga line and attract a wider user base.

CD32 Console: Recognizing the potential of the gaming market, Commodore, under Ali, ventured into the gaming world with the CD32. Launched in 1993, the CD32 was the first 32-bit CD-ROM based game console released in Western markets. However, despite being technologically advanced, it faced stiff competition and couldn't make a lasting impact.

Corporate Restructuring: Understanding the financial troubles the company was in, Ali initiated multiple efforts to streamline Commodore's operations, including layoffs and other cost-cutting measures.

Controversies and Challenges

Despite his efforts, Ali's tenure was not without controversies. Critics argue that while the Amiga had the potential to become a dominant platform, Commodore, under Ali's leadership, failed to market it effectively, especially in the US. The mismanagement of the brand, coupled with dwindling resources, made it hard for the Amiga to compete against powerhouses like Apple and Microsoft.

Furthermore, internal conflicts and a series of questionable financial decisions exacerbated the company's challenges. Many of Commodore's loyal user base and former employees felt that Ali and his team lacked the vision and commitment to the Amiga's potential.

The End of an Era

In 1994, under the weight of mounting debts and decreasing market share, Commodore declared bankruptcy. It was a sad end to a company that had once been at the forefront of personal computing. The bankruptcy wasn't solely a result of Ali's leadership—decades of mismanagement and missed opportunities had set the stage—but his tenure was certainly at the heart of the company's final years.

Life Post-Commodore

After Commodore's collapse, Mehdi Ali faded from the public spotlight. However, his stint at Commodore remains a topic of debate among tech enthusiasts and historians. Some see him as a scapegoat for deeper, systemic issues at Commodore, while others believe he could've done more to save the ailing giant.

Legacy

Mehdi Ali's time at Commodore is a testament to the fast-paced, ever-evolving nature of the tech industry. While the ultimate demise of Commodore can't be attributed to a single individual or decision, Ali's leadership during its last days remains a significant chapter in its history. The story serves as a reminder of the delicate balance between innovation, management, and market understanding—a balance that every tech leader must navigate.

In the grand tapestry of tech history, Mehdi Ali will always be associated with the twilight years of a once-iconic brand. But, like all stories, his too deserves understanding beyond the headlines, recognizing the challenges he faced and the attempts he made to steer Commodore towards a brighter future.
Old 22 August 2023, 00:31   #10
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Came. Saw. Gutted. Left.

Or, in his own words, achieved "major operational turnaround" . That's certainly one way of putting it.
Old 22 August 2023, 09:20   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Streamlining Commodore style: "Let me cut off that leg I'm standing on."
Old 23 August 2023, 00:13   #12
oscar_ates

Mehdi Ali- A former boss at Commodore who made a number of bad decisions, including cancelling the A3000+ project and the release of the A600. He has been largely blamed for the fall of Commodore during 1994 and is universally disliked by most Amiga users.

http://www.bambi-amiga.co.uk/amigahistory/people.html
Old 23 August 2023, 23:28   #13
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Mehdi Ali- A former boss at Commodore who made a number of bad decisions, including cancelling the A3000+ project and the release of the A600. He has been largely blamed for the fall of Commodore during 1994 and is universally disliked by most Amiga users.

http://www.bambi-amiga.co.uk/amigahistory/people.html
The A3000+ project should have been cancelled.

Odd that Mehdi Ali was 'universally disliked by most Amiga users', yet we now have difficulty recalling rational reasons for this hatred. Perhaps this thread will shed some light on the subject...
Old 23 August 2023, 23:42   #14
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I couldn't resist asking ChatGPT to write a short bio on Mehdi. Here goes.

Q: Write a biography about Mehdi Ali, once the CEO of Commodore. Maximum of 1000 words, highlight notable career events and achievements particularly those relevant to his years at Commodore.

ChatGPT
Mehdi Ali: The Commodore Era and Beyond

Mehdi Ali is often remembered as one of the key figures at Commodore during its tumultuous final years. The narrative of his tenure as CEO is frequently characterized by the decline and eventual bankruptcy of the once-giant tech company, but a closer look reveals a story that's both nuanced and complex...

Despite his efforts, Ali's tenure was not without controversies. Critics argue that while the Amiga had the potential to become a dominant platform, Commodore, under Ali's leadership, failed to market it effectively, especially in the US. The mismanagement of the brand, coupled with dwindling resources, made it hard for the Amiga to compete against powerhouses like Apple and Microsoft...

After Commodore's collapse, Mehdi Ali faded from the public spotlight. However, his stint at Commodore remains a topic of debate among tech enthusiasts and historians. Some see him as a scapegoat for deeper, systemic issues at Commodore, while others believe he could've done more to save the ailing giant...

In the grand tapestry of tech history, Mehdi Ali will always be associated with the twilight years of a once-iconic brand. But, like all stories, his too deserves understanding beyond the headlines, recognizing the challenges he faced and the attempts he made to steer Commodore towards a brighter future.
Is this real? If it is I might have to change my mind about ChatGPT.
Old 23 August 2023, 23:50   #15
oscar_ates

He put this info on his company website:

His prior experience includes serving as the President of Commodore International, where he accomplished a major operational turnaround

Reply from Quora user:

The same kind of turnaround an airplane does when it goes from stable flight to slamming into the ground at high speed...

Mainly mistakes were r&d cost cutting and line his own pockets. Putting everywhere his idiotic clowns like the engineering manager. When psygnosis asked for fast ram equipped A1200s he replied with fuck off...
Old 24 August 2023, 00:43   #16
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Is this real? If it is I might have to change my mind about ChatGPT.
I hope it is and I hope he writes a book about it.
Old 24 August 2023, 07:00   #17
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Reply from Quora user:

The same kind of turnaround an airplane does when it goes from stable flight to slamming into the ground at high speed...

Mainly mistakes were r&d cost cutting and line his own pockets. Putting everywhere his idiotic clowns like the engineering manager. When psygnosis asked for fast ram equipped A1200s he replied with fuck off...
Perhaps that's why Quora is using ChatGPT to answer questions now.
Old 24 August 2023, 09:26   #18
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I couldn't resist asking ChatGPT…made it hard for the Amiga to compete against powerhouses like Apple and Microsoft…
Now we know how accurate ChatGPT is. The words powerhouse and Apple should never be in the same sentence for that period in time.
Old 24 August 2023, 09:44   #19
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Now we know how accurate ChatGPT is. The words powerhouse and Apple should never be in the same sentence for that period in time.
Just my thinking! History is written by the winners.
Old 24 August 2023, 09:47   #20
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
The A3000+ project should have been cancelled.
It shouldn't even have been started. I never heard a computer user say "oh, how I would love to have a DSP in my computer", only tech geeks said that sort of thing. The A3000 was expensive enough. The problem was not having AGA in the A3000 and that hardly was Mehdi Ali's responsibility. He apparently did his share to not catch up technically for even more years, though.