English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 July 2004, 03:39   #1
Unregistered

Problems with graphics quality when using winuae!

First I'd like to say that WinUAE is awesome. I just found out about this program last weekend after reading about an Amiga emulator for a PDA.
I followed the tutorial at http://jambo.abime.net/howto.php and it worked perfectly.
However when playing games the graphics output looks pretty bad. I have not used my real Amiga which was hooked up to a Monitor in many years but I believe that graphics never looked so bad.
There could be several reasons for this. I am using a resolution of 640*512 (user defiend with my NVIDIA driver) with LINE doubled and Full screen mode. I have a 21inch monitor and it is possible that watching a 640*512 output on such a big screen just does not look good. I also don't know if the setting under FILTER in WinUAE could improve picture quality because I could not find any good description about those settings.

I also installed Picasso96 which provides my workbench with a much clearer picture. However I don't know if there is a way for games to take advantage of Picasso96. I can't start them from my Workbench becuase they are NO Dos and starting them from the emulated Floppy drive does not use the Workbench.

Again, maybe graphics always looked like this on my AMIGA and I just got used to the high resolution of todays PC's, but if anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S. Finally I can play Speedball 2 again which I used to play so passionately that I got blisters from the Joystick.

Old 28 July 2004, 04:09   #2
oldpx

The games always were like that but the imperfections of the TV screen or the pattern of the commodore 1084 monitor was effecting the overall experience. You're like me so I recommend you to use a filtering mode or if your video card has tv out function, try winuae with your television or even 1084 Games often use very low screen modes like 320x200, your workbench screenmode won't help at all.

Old 28 July 2004, 06:25   #3
ener555

Thanks Burseg,

Could you tell me which of these filters are best to improve graphics quality? I tried the direct3d biliniear 32bit which didn't seem to make a difference. What are these Scale2x, Supereagle, Super2xSal and 2xSal filters. Are they gonna improve image quality??
Also, do most people use 640*480 (640*512) resolution with doubled line mode or is there any other setting people prefer? I should mention that I like the Full screen mode!

Thanks

Old 28 July 2004, 06:47   #4
oldpx

This problem isn't related to the emulation but our damned perfect monitors In fact image quality isn't low, it's as high as it can be and that's annoying!

D3d Bilinear is different if you compare it to point filter which is sharper but you will still be counting the pixels bilinear one adds a slight blurring, nothing too important but better than 2xSai which adds the most noticeable but strange effect which you might like after all but the main reason of my using filters is not that I don't like original amiga graphics, bilinear's blur is enough for me but I'm using filters because you can scale your display any way you want that way! There won't be any blank bottoms in pal games any more. You can also load&save your filter settings on the fly. It's better than having an extremely sharp image on an ambigious placement surrounded by black borders or even off screen artifacts.

I'm not using 640xanything mode after the implementation of the filters. I find 1024x768 doubled screen with a d3d bilinear filter as the optimal resolution. Actually resolution doesn't matter regarding image placement as long as you're using a d3d or ogl filter but something below 1024 isn't pleasant on a large monitor.

Last edited by oldpx; 28 July 2004 at 07:05.

Old 28 July 2004, 06:54   #5
oldpx

Well it had been a while since I tried other filters because d3d instantly gave what I wanted but now I checked them again and noticed a mistake I made. I was using doubled screen with 2x modes which led to the abnormal screenmode requirement and slowdowns, that was a stupid thing to do really Now 2xsai and others look more appealing D3d is still faster though. Just load James Pond 2 and see how it slows down with a 2x mode.

last minute note: 2x modes don't appear to work under 32 bit.

So the messages are overedited and cluttered but there are things that may help I hope.

Last edited by oldpx; 28 July 2004 at 07:09.

Old 27 August 2006, 16:58   #6
petvas

The problem is not the quality of the graphics. They were and still are great. Most Amiga Games were designed to support 320x256 with 32 or even more colors (up to 256). Even at 640x480 you have double the pixels, so it is natural that everything looks bad. Try using a 320x256 window and you will see that the graphics look great!
Its better of course to use a big TV or an Amiga Monitor. I have both and depending on mood I choose!

Old 27 August 2006, 17:19   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

Ehhh...
Old 27 August 2006, 17:36   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas
Try using a 320x256 window and you will see that the graphics look great!
Good for screenshots but not for playing. Do you use a magnifier to play the games.

Yes, the games were designed for a TV or a 14" monitor. Of couse they looks pixelated on a 19" PC monitor. Connecting the s-video out from the graphic card with a TV works fine.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 27 August 2006 at 17:54.
Old 27 August 2006, 17:50   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

In WinUAE 320x256 is good, if you use fullscreen that is .
Old 27 August 2006, 17:51   #10
Ironclaw
Banned

Some games look awesome in 320x256 windowed, but as soon as you double the size or use full screen it looks crap, which is what I think he meant. But... a game like Elfmania looks soooo wonderfull now matter how big it is .

Hard to believe it's not an AGA game.
Old 27 August 2006, 18:01   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

All games looks awesome in 320x240 or 320x256. No problem in this stamp size.

Old 27 August 2006, 18:29   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Lionheart is also one of those games that in double size, it looks amazing.. like Elfmania....

But I'm a pixel lover so .. but they still look amazing.
Old 27 August 2006, 18:36   #13
viddi

Well, of course, we are used to high resolutions today.

I think it was the same, when we moved from 8-bit to the Amiga.
I had a Schneider CPC and it was crazy so see those unblocky graphics made by Amiga. (btw: I still own some CPCs, of course )

So, for us 320 x 256 (or even 640 x 480) seems to be blocky.

But I thought about it and now I think it´s really okay.
It´s good to play, it´s some sort of style, and unbelievable how many details can be in there.

The same comes to the limitation of 32 or 256 colours.
Because of this you had to find out cool techniques of color cycling, shading and so on...
No need to mention the copper effect in combination.

I think all this together formed a certain Amiga-style gfx.
(sometimes similar on MegaDrive)

Some old 32 colour Amiga screens look better than a polished modern e.g. Jump´n´run.

Don´t get me wrong, a real-time strategy game should be at least in 640 x 480.

But handdrawn Action- or even Adventure-titles are good to play in low res even today.
Old 27 August 2006, 19:11   #14
Ironclaw
Banned

Made a 1 min recording of the above stage of Elfmania, to show this old and wonderfull game.... it's in the zone.... it's in mp4, so you need that codec...

so if you can't view the movie, install this codec thingy http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm .