White

winuae AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic + PicassoIV example

Here a small example of using AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic using only PicassoIV
is used:

Odyssey
SMTube
E-UAE with The Killing Ground II 3D

Side note:
in the system PicassoIV is only used as a screen everything else has remained unchanged without worrying about going to set any adjustments for a better visualization, this does not have much importance, maybe it can be useful, I can't know it for emulation purposes.
Or you don't need it, but this is just a quick test, maybe the video driver can be made better.

Here the video:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 March 2020, 07:55   #2
Valken

That is cool but I hate the stutter of trying to use RAM intensive programs on AmigaOS 3.x or 4.x.

You can try a test by moving your HDF to a RAM drive on the HOST, like I do on my Windows PC. It speeds up tremendously minimizing slow HD or file system access.

I do this on AROS 68k testing using AmigaOne's build and it helps but modern internet browsing still needs optimizing or more brute force to process video files.
Old 07 March 2020, 12:05   #3
White

Hi Valken,
Great suggestion, you could give me an example on how to do it.
when you mean Host-Ram, do you mean move everything on the virtual ram?
I'd really like some of your suggestions on how to do it.
You can also put a video if you have time to do it or even a simple written explanation would be very useful for me.
Thank you very much.
Old 07 March 2020, 14:43   #4
White

@Valken
OT
Aros x86 is a nice project, too bad for the little hardware supported and the work never reached a definitive "conclusion".
Many years ago I connected on #freenode I had exchanged some opinions with the main author of the project when it was in the beginning, I used acer aspire one, I was able to surf the internet with a USB stick of the O2 company of Germany by changing the firmware and it worked to hook the external wifi signal with Aros x86.
At the time I was in Germany in the North Sea (CuxHaven)
what a nice experience to see the sun at 23.00 in the evening :-)

I apologize for the OT

Last edited by White; 08 March 2020 at 00:40. Reason: error
Old 07 March 2020, 17:15   #5
Valken

Hi White,

My current daily Amiga is WinUAE. I don't have access to any HW Amigas at the moment.

So on my PC, I have a RAM drive that is also my temp drive for Windows. When I want to do AmigaOS things besides play games, I copy the HDF or BOOT FOLDER to my PC RAM drive from my HDD, then I run WinUAE pointing to that HDF.

I do this with WinUAE in 3.x AND AROS 68k from AmigaSystem. I can tell you all my stutter stopped. I did not install WinUAE to my SSD because that is for huge PC games that streams content like GTA or ARMA.

AROS x86 is really fast. I was suprised how quick it was especially in HOSTED MODE (installed onto Windows 7) as an APP. It made my natively installed Windows 7 in classic Windows 2000 theme, bare bones stock, seem slower!!!

So AROS x86 looks pretty good to me.

I did not try MorphOS because there is no free version for x86? It seems to be PPC only. It could probably run off one of the devices we have at work with PPC cpus!

I did a test with VMWare where I copied the Virtual files to RAM drive and SSD. It solved all the stutter vs running off HDD so that was where I got the idea to do the same on AmigaOS.

It helps to boost performance when you do not have full speed native drivers for the IDE/SATA chips vs generic or if the Amiga CPU does not have enough power to steam a lot of data over through the PC System Bus.

So you need to make it easier for the Amiga to speed up or use the PC's native resources to provide headroom.
Old 07 March 2020, 17:37   #6
White

Hi Valken,
thanks for your advice, I really appreciate them.
I have already tried all these options listed by you.
Unfortunately, with Amigaos4.1FE they don't seem to work or the performances remain the same.
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I always read interesting things and any new solutions.
The examples I made are only tests for PicassoIV.
Here you can see if you like a good enough video I would say with a specific configuration it is optimized for 4.1FE with the use of UAEGFX as you can see everything works well.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2020, 00:25   #7
White

I keep writing here to not open another thread
I hope to receive some answers to my questions. Thank you.

This theme was probably already covered by AC/DC HACKER! on the occasion of the game "SHOGO" but I don't remember well.

In these days I have done some compatibility experiments using AmigaOS4.1FE update1.
I use the 4.1FE with which I am comfortable, clearly if WinUAE would crash continuously and be unusable I would not waste time.
Instead it works.

Up to now, for a compatibility choice I have chosen the following RTG-UAEGFX table:
8bit (*)
15/16 Bit
24 Bit
All

This allowed me to get a 32bit RTG-UAEGFX screen
with which I have worked well and I have found greater compatibility with all applications, at least on my computer.
Then just to install some applications I had to use PicassoIV to not crash the system and then go back to UAEGFX and see that the applications work.

So at this point I tried to change the RTG-UAEGFX table to make it "equal" to PicassoIV with the advantage of a greater memory in this case 128mb and I must say that the result was excellent.

The table I currently use with RTG-UAEGFX is this:
8bit (*)
R5G6B5PC (*)
24Bit
B8G8R8A8 (*)

This allows me to have AmigaOS 4.1FE compatible with the 16bit screen also everything is faster and even more compatible.

I have never hidden my desire to use 4.1FE making it compatible with some 68k applications this is fun for me, but it really works at the same time.

So my question is this:
This table is right for a 16Bit screen or it can be improved and made more compatible with your personal suggestions and experiences.

For example, although I feel very comfortable with Odyssey now particularly functional.
I also use "NetSurf 68k natively" without any problem with this table and also other applications written for 68k, moreover the compatibility of the installations has improved a lot even if not yet perfect.

So I was wondering if this could be improved directly in winUAE, or have some suggestions about it on the table that I am using.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 09 March 2020, 01:40   #8
White

Here a short example, without the newly created RTG-UAEGFX table, the "NetSurf68k" program would only remain a black screen and therefore would not be usable.
In this example Odyssey and NetSurf 68k are used together

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 March 2020, 02:20   #9
White

Added the AmiCygnix environment and tried the Gimp 2.6 photo editing program.
now I have to explore and see what can be done.
Here the driver used is Picasso IV.
here the video:
[ Show youtube player ]

here instead UAEGFX:
[ Show youtube player ]

separate note:

Toni, I'd just like your opinion on this when you have time, of course.
And if you think it is possible to improve the support for this in some way also in this case for the installation I had to use PicassoIV.
Thanks for any reply.

Last edited by White; 10 March 2020 at 03:16. Reason: update