English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 July 2012, 15:14   #1
john4p
Competition Moderator

Which game made you defect to PC?

The majority of Amiga gamers sold their Amiga around 1993/94 when PC games started becoming superior (not necessarily in terms of fun) to Amiga games.

For me it was Aces of the Pacific (which turned out to be a pretty boring game).

Which game convinced you that you must have a PC resulting in you abandoning your Amiga? Or did you only leave because all your friends did?
Old 12 July 2012, 15:35   #2
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I know many Amigans who defected cos of Doom. There was even a UK group called something like UK48666 formed of many Amigans who'd bought 486DX/2/66 systems
Old 12 July 2012, 15:42   #3
seuden
uber cool demi god

Championship Manager 2
Old 12 July 2012, 16:00   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I had been building office and sales PC's for ages - since Win 3.1 days, and then .... I saw Unreal Tournament running.... I think on a Cryrix M333 with 128MB of RAM and I was blown away.... I was hooked....

and that was it... from someone whom despised the PC I bought one that following year.... and I enjoyed some great gaming along side my Amiga, such like Quake 1 / 2 and 3's Arena, AvP, with Force Commander, Starcraft, Dungeon keeper2 to name but a few.

PC Games I play today...

Dawn of War
Guildwars
Legends of Grimrock

and thats really it.
Old 12 July 2012, 16:16   #5
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

To be honest I actually owned and played with PC's long before anything Amiga. Happy to say that the first time I did see An Amiga run it blew me away! Bought my first A1000 in mid 80's followed by A500 and other Amiga models and the games were awesome at the time.

Was a time tho, that the PC gaming was getting better in the early 90's than the Amiga and what interested me was some of the RPG games that came out on PC.

Ultima 7 looked awesome when I saw some kid playing it in a computer store. That convinced me to upgrade to 486dx2 PC. Elder scrolls Arena was another that got me PC hooked.

Funny but I never got rid of any of my Amiga's and still enjoy using them from time to time.
Old 12 July 2012, 17:19   #6
Leffmann

I think it may have been Quake and Microsoft Actor Live or something like that, a program where you could script 3D actors in various settings and animate them in realtime.

A Swedish TV-channel used to play these games live and show all these softwares around 1996, and I got the same feeling I got when seeing the Amiga the first time, that it was really advanced stuff running on serious computers.

I still waited until December 1998 before buying my first PC, but I wouldn't say I defected. I always liked the Amiga and I'm still here and enjoy using it more than the PC.
Old 12 July 2012, 17:35   #7
zipper

Nothing to do with games - Canon digital camera + printer in 2004.
Old 12 July 2012, 17:36   #8
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
PC Games I play today...

Dawn of War
Guildwars
Legends of Grimrock

and thats really it.
Grimrock looks worth paying for. Have you tried the HD versions of Dungeon Master?
Old 12 July 2012, 18:06   #9
Coltch

PC's never took me away from the Amiga, I've owned/been using PC's since the mid eighties and the Amiga always was something special - now i have PC's and Amiga's and the Amiga gets more use than the PC's.
Old 12 July 2012, 20:38   #10
desiv

Foxbase, Turbo Pascal, and GW BASIC.
I started getting paid for working on apps written in those languages, so I sold my Amiga and got a PC to continue getting paid...

That being said, I enjoyed some early games on the PC.
I had a CD (1x) version of Gobliiins that was fun.
(That came with my CD drive)

I did like DOOM, 7th Guest and Jazz Jackrabbit, although I'm fuzzy about when those were released. They might not all have been early games for me, although I seem to remember them pretty far back.

I missed my Amiga immediately after I sold it, but needed a better PC.
(I had a pieced together XT with a 386 inboard before, which would just barely let me do some programming...)

desiv
Old 12 July 2012, 22:04   #11
AmigaFriend

I never defected from Amiga. I bought a PC in 1996 because of needed music programs. But gaming wise Quake and Grand Prix 2 (this one for years) were the most played games.
Old 12 July 2012, 22:25   #12
rampartsagain

Amiga was always on my heart one thing Pc was good was for grafical text when printing as when printing things more hi-res text was always pixelate and that is something that killed Amigas from office use,at that time i discovered on pc Monkey island 1 and 2 and all other Pc classics ,and of course all other persons had Pc fever at that Time,But my amiga was always with me until my nephiew ruined it and my brother trash it ,now i have almost all of them
Old 12 July 2012, 22:30   #13
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

I think it was Screamer Rally for me. I'd seen games such as Doom, and whilst they looked good, for me it wasn't a big enough jump up from the likes of Alien Breed 3D and Gloom.

One day I saw Screamer Rally on "Movies Games and Videos", which was running with a 3D card. My jaw dropped when I saw it, and I knew I had to get a PC.

When I did get a PC I spent more time playing MAME on it than anything else, but I didn't get the same 'feel' from using the PC as I did with the Amiga. Some 6 or 7 years later I moved over to the Mac, and the only PC use I get now is at work.

The Amiga didn't get sold to fund the PC, so that's still with me, still set up, greatly upgraded over the past couple of years, and gets used a few times a week even now.
Old 12 July 2012, 23:15   #14
dirkies
Zone Friend

started using PC in parallel due to university work around 1995 where we had to work as a team on shared MS Word 6.0 documents and so I had no choice. But then I started working and had to use win95 and NT3.51/NT4.0 all the time.
Kept using Amiga for audio recording/remixing (Samplitude!), burning CDs with complex PQ (MasterISO 2 beta tester, even todays burnsoft cannot do everything you could do with MasterISO2) and occasional games or gfx things.
Then around 2001 I had a major HDD crash (PFS crash corrupted whole system drive) and I lost so much finetuning of my A4000/060 over the years (no recent backup) I was too discouraged to start all over again. Since then my A4000 was switched on maybe 5 days over the past 10 years...
The will to restart is there, but no time and I fear I lost knowledge to even do the simple things!
So it was more circumstances than a change of heart, I still have fond memories about Amiga (and C64), which I never had from PCs or consoles.
Old 13 July 2012, 00:27   #15
Axxy

Probably Quake and Duke Nukem back then, especially online, lol, 33k/56k dial-up modems, those were the days. Playing online games is really the only way to play nowadays, which I still continue to do, even at my age!

Only thing I brought over to the PC is my tracked music collection, still going strong and still collecting what little there is left nowadays, and I still keep an eye on the demoscene and obviously the Amiga on EAB....
Old 13 July 2012, 01:05   #16
sneeker

Comanche Maximum overkill, and how much better f1gp looked in vga

I was all for getting an A1200 with a 120mb hdd... then realised for the same price I could get a 386/40 with a monitor... So I jumped ship.
6 months later the 486 came down in price and near enough everyone else I knew jumped too. And I upgraded to a dx2/66.
Old 13 July 2012, 04:03   #17
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

It wasn't a game that made me defect to a PC, it was the internet. I was very reluctant to buy one for a long time but eventually I caved in, I would have bought a MAC but couldn't afford one. Then Half Life came out....
Old 13 July 2012, 04:44   #18
kipper2k

Descent for the PC, plus the fact i had a few nice fsp and ftp accounts where i could find a lot of Win 95 and dos games
Old 13 July 2012, 09:46   #19
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Comanche Maximum overkill, and how much better f1gp looked in vga

I was all for getting an A1200 with a 120mb hdd... then realised for the same price I could get a 386/40 with a monitor... So I jumped ship.
6 months later the 486 came down in price and near enough everyone else I knew jumped too. And I upgraded to a dx2/66.
Oh yeah, Comanche had a huge impact on my decision to get a 386DX40, too, with its "photorealistic" gfx.
Unlike Aces of the Pacific this was loads of fun.
And F1 Grand Prix was a lot better than on Amiga not just because of the textured road but most significantly because of up to 25fps (only 8fps on Amiga 500).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
But gaming wise Quake and Grand Prix 2 (this one for years) were the most played games.
Grand Prix 2 is still unmatched til today in my opinion.
Loved Quake I to death (one of the few FPSs that don't induce motion sickness on me).
Old 13 July 2012, 11:08   #20
Christian
Zone Friend

I was about to pull the trigger on a 1200HD but then saw Doom!

Also, I loved playing Frontier at the time and seeing that running perfectly smooth with textures, etc had an impact. Basically anything 3D was sooo much better. The fact that EVERY game could be run from harddrive seemed such a luxury too.

C:\
cd games
cd doom
doom

486DX266 for me too