Old 29 July 2021, 10:11   #21
d4rk3lf

1942 should be on the list.
Remake is almost done:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99630&page=13
Old 29 July 2021, 11:20   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

I think this thread is about "amiga games that have a port that sucks" 1942 doesn't have an amiga version AFAIK. It's 1943.
Old 29 July 2021, 12:50   #23
d4rk3lf

@jotd
Ahh.. sorry then.. my bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
and I have been working on a plan together with some amazing people in the Amiga community to encourage development of games like this and reward the people involved.

I just hope anyone thinking about it can wait until the end of the month to begin.
That's great idea Cammy.
I am personally more then willing to donate small amounts of money for developers, from time to time.
If that's what you meant.

Is it like a base payment for all developers that are doing remakes?
Or, if not, what's the idea?
Old 29 July 2021, 13:15   #24
Etze
A3000-Fan

Microprose Soccer sucks on Amiga if you compare it to the C64 version.
Old 29 July 2021, 16:48   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I would say Vindicators too. The Amiga version is not bad technically but it is just so much not fun. It misses speed compared to the arcade version plus the ability to turn your turret separate from the tank body (... right?). It's a rather sluggish gameplay experience.

I think this game should give you the ability to auto-target enemies so the turret automatically points at them. This gives you the ability to shoot at enemies while you can still avoid their projectiles. Either that or give you the ability to strafe... we can pretend it is a hover tank or something.
Old 29 July 2021, 18:50   #26
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
i would like to listen your personal approach to the audio side of the game
imo the existent tunes are already good, half work already done
Did review the video of Forgotten worlds and would say that need a LOT of love to have better shoot, more frantic enemy waves and of course the missing level plus new music - by the way i cannot wrap my head over VGMPlay due to its command line approach, would love there is a GUI like in hoot to help me isolate tracks
Old 30 July 2021, 09:02   #27
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Did review the video of Forgotten worlds and would say that need a LOT of love to have better shoot, more frantic enemy waves and of course the missing level plus new music - by the way i cannot wrap my head over VGMPlay due to its command line approach, would love there is a GUI like in hoot to help me isolate tracks
agree
about the music, the only thing available on the net (Amiga side) are a couple of ripped tunes :

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Forgotten_Worlds

proprietary FWMP format used, i still have the converted .mp3 files, made times ago
Old 30 July 2021, 17:34   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
agree
about the music, the only thing available on the net (Amiga side) are a couple of ripped tunes :

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Forgotten_Worlds

proprietary FWMP format used, i still have the converted .mp3 files, made times ago
I honestly think that the supercars 2 approach might be needed here - mean changing sound routine so that handles sound effects and music - possibly together (so three channels for music and one for FX) - it might mean that the game might end up being playable with a meg of chip RAM though (decent samples of waves take room)

Last edited by saimon69; 30 July 2021 at 17:42.
Old 31 July 2021, 09:18   #29
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I honestly think that the supercars 2 approach might be needed here - mean changing sound routine so that handles sound effects and music - possibly together (so three channels for music and one for FX) - it might mean that the game might end up being playable with a meg of chip RAM though (decent samples of waves take room)
having both music and sfx in game would be amazing

tough project btw, a lot of gfx, big bosses, a lot of work and ram (probably more than 1meg);
considering than the Megadrive port (not properly) was developed from Sega itself, i presume this would require a lot of skills;
wondering if an AGA version could at least match that version, gfx talking ofc

back on earth, i would be satisfied of a good Side Arms port, also tough but maybe little more affordable
Old 31 July 2021, 16:15   #30
skyzoo73

I would also add Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja to the list, even if not as bad as some conversions, it deserves a nice upgrade on the colors, music redone more competently, and I am convinced it would be very close to the arcade also on OCS.
Old 31 July 2021, 16:37   #31
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
I would also add Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja to the list, even if not as bad as some conversions, it deserves a nice upgrade on the colors, music redone more competently, and I am convinced it would be very close to the arcade also on OCS.
Fully agreed!

Joe&Mac Caveman ninja's too, as a very similar example
Old 01 August 2021, 01:31   #32
demoniac

Battletoads is horrible on the Amiga. I really enjoyed it on NES, but never could pass one of the flying levels. The Amiga version is lifeless in comparison.
Old 01 August 2021, 02:52   #33
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
back on earth, i would be satisfied of a good Side Arms port, also tough but maybe little more affordable
McGeezer was thinking at that, try to push on the appropriate thread
Old 01 August 2021, 06:09   #34
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
@jotd
Ahh.. sorry then.. my bad...

That's great idea Cammy.
I am personally more then willing to donate small amounts of money for developers, from time to time.
If that's what you meant.

Is it like a base payment for all developers that are doing remakes?
Or, if not, what's the idea?
A donation pool for developers is a great idea, but I was trying to mention something without mentioning it before the announcement date which is today. We are holding AmiGameJam again this year, and this time the theme is ports.! Winners will receive really cool prizes which are being donated by our sponsors and generous people in the Amiga community.
Old 01 August 2021, 06:24   #35
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
Colors could definitely Be upgraded but the biggest addition would need to be "I'm bad!" At the end of each level
Old 01 August 2021, 10:03   #36
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
A donation pool for developers is a great idea, but I was trying to mention something without mentioning it before the announcement date which is today. We are holding AmiGameJam again this year, and this time the theme is ports.! Winners will receive really cool prizes which are being donated by our sponsors and generous people in the Amiga community.
Very nice initiative, thanks Cammy!
Old 01 August 2021, 14:00   #37
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Battletoads
Ahh.. that reminds me of another title that Saimon could add:
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles The Coin Op
Old 02 August 2021, 05:47   #38
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Ahh.. that reminds me of another title that Saimon could add:
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles The Coin Op

I thought of that, but wasn't familiar enough with the gameplay.

Can't believe the 2 different NES ports weren't done properly on the Amiga. At least, there's an okay version of After Burner ported.

Thunder Blade was poorly converted.
Old 02 August 2021, 07:31   #39
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

At the end the Tiertex opera omnia is in need to be re-ported again; why am not surprised? :P
Old 02 August 2021, 11:23   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Thunder Blade was poorly converted.
You are too kind. I call it an unplayable mess Never mind the poor framerate, it is a pseudo 3D bullet hell game where the bullets fly out of nowhere and you have no idea what their exact position is to your helicopter. it is like the goal was to make it not fun to play at all.

(although there are even worse ports out there).