English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 April 2021, 11:52   #701
Mathesar

Am watching it again now quietly with a headphone on. The dynamic stereo and volume effects are working *really* well
Old 26 April 2021, 15:54   #702
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
Blitter? Or Paula?
If the latter, she already does. If Paula couldn't vary sample playback rates smoothly, she couldn't play sample-based music.
I was really talking, and half joking, about the blitter (Agnus) because of the speed of the frame-rate and so the intensively chunky to planar conversion done with the blitter, you invented, it implies.

I guess some demos already used the blitter intensively but on a limit amount of time. So I don't know if we have a case of, let's say, one hour of play, and so continuous and intensive use of the blitter, in the Amiga history.

Last edited by TEG; 26 April 2021 at 16:00.
Old 27 April 2021, 10:07   #703
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
I was really talking, and half joking, about the blitter (Agnus) because of the speed of the frame-rate and so the intensively chunky to planar conversion done with the blitter, you invented, it implies.

I guess some demos already used the blitter intensively but on a limit amount of time. So I don't know if we have a case of, let's say, one hour of play, and so continuous and intensive use of the blitter, in the Amiga history.
I hadn't thought about that. Now I'm a little concerned.
Should A500 owners start installing heatsinks on their Agnus chips' now?
Will the line "Adequate Cooling" be added to the minimum requirements of Dread?
Old 27 April 2021, 19:49   #704
d4rk3lf

That would be ridiculously funny.

Imagine cover:
You don't need AGA to play our amazing 3D game!
You don't need 020 to play it.
You don't even need more then 1MB!
All you need is this water cooling system for blitter, that costs 600 euros... err.. 599 euros
Old 27 April 2021, 20:49   #705
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
That would be ridiculously funny.

Imagine cover:
You don't need AGA to play our amazing 3D game!
You don't need 020 to play it.
You don't even need more then 1MB!
All you need is this water cooling system for blitter, that costs 600 euros... err.. 599 euros

Thankfully I have no A500 and I really hope I get to play this game on my A1200

I still commend the power summoned up though to get this as good as it is at the moment and working on the good old A500! Fantastic sorcery!
Old 27 April 2021, 21:21   #706
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Well, A1200 and A500, have exactly same blitter, so you'll need 599 euros to save that chip (I might find you a cheaper alternative for 399, but it's not that reliable, and you are in risk to set fire on both your Amiga, and your home (and your face, if it explodes). :P

Joke aside,
Yes, this game is strictly made for A500, but with your A1200, you should have twice the framerate, right from the get go.
Old 27 April 2021, 21:28   #707
KK/Altair

Quote:
Could something be gained then by lowering the sample rate by an integer factor? Like going from 22050 to 4410Hz (divide by 5) instead of 4000Hz?
Integer factors only matter if you are trying to optimize the filtering for speed.
Here we can take all the time we need for preprocessing, so I'm using FIR filter to resample to any rate I might ever want.

Quote:
the intensively chunky to planar conversion done with the blitter
1/3 of it is done by the CPU already. And for free.

Quote:
So I don't know if we have a case of, let's say, one hour of play, and so continuous and intensive use of the blitter, in the Amiga history.
Blitter isn't always ON, as it's not the bottleneck. CPU still takes even more to render next frame, so Blitter completes its job and waits.

Unless you are running A600 with Furia. The it's the CPU that waits for Blitter most of the time.

Quote:
Should A500 owners start installing heatsinks on their Agnus chips' now?
I doubt Blitter uses that much more power, compared to common DMA transfers that happen all the time.

And again, Dread is nowhere near saturating Blitter on A500.
Better turn your attention to those record-beating line/poly drawing demos that use Copper to make sure Blitter doesn't have time to catch a breath.

Quote:
That made my day!

Quote:
It already works on A1200 amazingly.
Old 27 April 2021, 23:05   #708
TEG

1/3 done with the CPU. Thx for the clarification.

But why you say "for free"?
Old 27 April 2021, 23:57   #709
Lisko

Quote:
Runs surprisingly well. Citing CDPRJKT RED.
Old 28 April 2021, 11:35   #710
chb

Quote:
1/3 done with the CPU. Thx for the clarification.

But why you say "for free"?

Just my guess: KK is saving one of three passes in the blitter c2p (the first one probably, as it replaces the bytes in a word) by writing the data in scrambled order; if you do it in a clever way, it does not take additional CPU time.

As he called it a 'crazy programming trick' at some point, my bet would be on some additional use of the stack's word alignment, but I might be off completely. :-)
Old 29 April 2021, 15:51   #711
KK/Altair

Quote:
Just my guess: KK is saving one of three passes in the blitter c2p (the first one probably, as it replaces the bytes in a word) by writing the data in scrambled order; if you do it in a clever way, it does not take additional CPU time.
Exactly that. Long live the a7 register.

Quote:
As he called it a 'crazy programming trick' at some point, my bet would be on some additional use of the stack's word alignment, but I might be off completely. :-)
You're completely on point. All my rendering writes through (a7)+, prescrambling columns at the byte level. Of course the other byte is another column, 8px to the right.
Old 29 April 2021, 17:35   #712
roondar

Finally watched the video. Nice work with the positional audio. That's quite cool and it works really well as you show. Also love all the sound options you're adding to the menu

---
Quote:
I feel it should be pointed out here that many games on the Amiga use the Blitter extensively and for long periods. In fact, simpler 2D games potentially have less CPU overhead than Dread and hence could possibly make even more use of the Blitter (relatively speaking that is).

Personally, I wouldn't really worry about it
Old 29 April 2021, 18:04   #713
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I'd imagine if there was ever some kind of issue with Blitter overheating, we would have heard about it by around early 1986 probably
Old 30 April 2021, 12:00   #714
rabidgerry

Quote:

Yeahhhhh!! Can't wait. Amazing work my man
Old 30 April 2021, 15:24   #715
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I'd imagine if there was ever some kind of issue with Blitter overheating, we would have heard about it by around early 1986 probably
Lol, yea, you'd think so

Otoh, if you traveled back in time and show Dread to Amiga designers they'd fall off their chairs.. ;-) There would be idol posters of KK Altair on every wall of CMB offices ;-)
Old 30 April 2021, 17:46   #716
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Lol, yea, you'd think so

Otoh, if you traveled back in time and show Dread to Amiga designers they'd fall off their chairs.. ;-) There would be idol posters of KK Altair on every wall of CMB offices ;-)
Sounds like a plot of a B movie
Old 30 April 2021, 19:43   #717
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ or A comedy movie if shooted with good actors (check this one, not Amiga related, but "if happened differently" related : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477988/ )
Old 01 May 2021, 22:54   #718
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Hey guys, time for a sneak peek on our gfx update work.

In the pic above you can see the old walls with the familiar, grey vertical dither looks and the brand new wall texture at the top. Both of these pics are taken from the 3d level display/preview of KKs tool, so it's the same resolution, geometry and detail the engine outputs in-game.

For those of you with a keen eye, you'll notice that this example not only showcases we can display clean textures in full detail, but also that the resolution we can display them into is NOT your usual 2x2!

Enjoy & happy Easter!
Old 01 May 2021, 23:45   #719
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

On an A500
Crazy how good you are guys !
Old 02 May 2021, 00:34   #720
rothers

I can't wait for this, I hope people from ID software see it, I saw a few people have tweeted it at John Romero.

If you guys do a proper big box release it will be the first Amiga game I've bought in almost 30 years!