English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 April 2024, 20:30   #1
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Doom RPG

This was a quick side project I did to take a break from the daily grind. I have fond memories playing the J2ME version on my Nokia 3110 Classic, so I kept an eye on DoomRPG-RE from Erick194, which this port is based on. Below is not a readme, just some quick info to get you started.

Requirements:
- 68020 CPU
- RTG (High Color) or AGA chipset
- 4 MB Fast RAM
- 3 MB free disk space

AGA support:
The game renders in 16-bit color, on AGA this is displayed using the HAM8 mode, where 1 chunky pixel corresponds to 4 HAM pixels. The largest resolution that can be refreshed at a reasonable speed using this method is 160x128, which becomes a 640x128 native screen. Kickstart 3.1 is recommended for its Super-Lores mode that fits this resolution well. The processor speed has no significant impact on this, the main limitation is Chip RAM bandwidth.
With RTG resolutions up to 800x600 are supported provided the graphics card supports high color (15-bit of better) screen modes.

Video:
Most settings like the resolution or fullscreen only takes effect after you restart the game. If you messed up and the game won't start, just delete the Config file. The floor/ceiling textures can be toggled on the fly, switching them off can make the graphics more readable at lower resolutions.

Sound:
Both AHI and Paula are supported. For AHI it'll use the Music Unit, if that's set to a Paula mode or AHI isn't available it'll fall back to using audio.device.
The original game had no in-game music, just a couple MIDI files for the menu and intermission screens. I didn't bother implementing this.

Controls:
You can check and customize the controls in the "Options / Input / Bindings" menu. Keyboard and lowlevel.library compatible CD32 pads are supported.
Ignore all the in-game hints and help regarding which button does what, those were written for the original mobile game and don't apply.

Game data:
Doom RPG is abandonware, so for now I put it on my website. This is temporary until I obtain the sources for BarToZip. The game was published by JAMDAT - now EA Mobile, and I'd rather not push my luck.
Just copy DoomRPG.zip into the game's drawer next to the executable, do not extract it!
http://bszili.morphos.me/stuff/DoomRPG.zip

The Amiga port:
http://bszili.morphos.me/stuff/doomrpg.lha

As always the sources will be published once everything is cleaned up and the game is on Aminet.

Last edited by BSzili; 18 April 2024 at 21:08.
Old 18 April 2024, 21:10   #2
abu_the_monkey

Cool stuff
Old 18 April 2024, 23:09   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Well done. Thanks. Looking forward to trying it on A1200 + PiStorm32 lite
Old 18 April 2024, 23:33   #4
abu_the_monkey

had a play and all seems to be working but only in RTG.

Enabling the icon tooltype 'FORCEMODE=PAL' doesn't seem to work, but I could be doing something wrong.
Old 18 April 2024, 23:46   #5
Estrayk

It doesn't work for me either in AGA, tested normal and with TOOLTYPE it doesn't work for me either

"Could not set 160x128 video mode: Couldn't allocate a contiguous bitmap"
Old 19 April 2024, 01:56   #6
Aardvark

Native modes seems to only work when P96 is disabled (hold down RMB during boot).

Doorways randomly glitches out and freezes the game in PAL mode, as shown at the end of this video.
[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: I can only reproduce the door glitch when TF1260 is clocked to 66mhz or lower. 94mhz and 100mhz are stable.

Last edited by Aardvark; 19 April 2024 at 06:38.
Old 19 April 2024, 04:22   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nice one Heard a lot about it, but haven't played it yet. Looking forward to give it a try
Old 19 April 2024, 06:27   #8
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
had a play and all seems to be working but only in RTG.

Enabling the icon tooltype 'FORCEMODE=PAL' doesn't seem to work, but I could be doing something wrong.
I didn't think someone would want to downgrade intentionally, but I can make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
It doesn't work for me either in AGA, tested normal and with TOOLTYPE it doesn't work for me either

"Could not set 160x128 video mode: Couldn't allocate a contiguous bitmap"
What is your SetPatch version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Native modes seems to only work when P96 is disabled (hold down RMB during boot).

Doorways randomly glitches out and freezes the game in PAL mode, as shown at the end of this video.
[ Show youtube player ]
There's probably a lot of frame rate variation and doors don't have any bounds checking. I'll try to lock it down.
Old 19 April 2024, 07:51   #9
pixie

Lol, I find it so weird at first, all this talk about ham and aga and ok, also a RTG port, only after I realized what it was! An RPG game based Doom not a doom made for RTG. I am getting dislexic

Old 19 April 2024, 09:01   #10
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I should have named the port Doom RTG - The Quest for HAM for maximum confusion ;-) Two small changes, FORCEMODE now takes precedence even if RTG modes would be available, and the animation speed is determined only once to avoid issues with variable framerates.
Old 19 April 2024, 09:03   #11
abu_the_monkey

Top stuff
Old 19 April 2024, 13:01   #12
Amigajay

Great job on this!

Having trouble mapping CD32 buttons, via the menu it only allows me to assign the 7 buttons and not d-pad directions.

And when i save and come out and reload the buttons i managed to assign aren't working anyway...
Old 19 April 2024, 18:26   #13
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I made some tweaks to the joystick input, it should be more reliable now.
Old 19 April 2024, 18:33   #14
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
Ok thanks, will try again tomorrow!
Old 19 April 2024, 22:47   #15
Estrayk

Quote:
What is your SetPatch version?
Setpatch 47.8 (Amiga A1260 AmigaOS 3.2.2.1) with Native monitor installed for acelerate AGA modes:
https://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/Native
Old 20 April 2024, 01:58   #16
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Setpatch 47.8 (Amiga A1260 AmigaOS 3.2.2.1) with Native monitor installed for acelerate AGA modes:
Have you tried the latest build (link in the first post) it is working fine for me now with the 'FORCEMODE=PAL' icon tooltype set.

I have only tested it in winuae but will try to get round to putting it on the A4000 over the w/end.

@BSzili
thanks
Old 20 April 2024, 06:50   #17
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
The Native monitor won't help, as AFAIK it only supports 8-bit color. I tested Doom RPG with 3.0, 3.1 and 3.9, so unless your Chip RAM is very fragmented this is a compatibility issue with 3.2.2.1. Someone else with the same system could verify this.
Old 20 April 2024, 09:30   #18
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Thank you for the Port. Runs nice and smooth on my A1200 with Vampire V2.
Old 20 April 2024, 10:43   #19
Amigajay

Quote:
Getting closer!

The d-pad and red button are working now, but the other buttons are not, well not on all settings...

In my normal Amiga environment on winuae all the buttons are working, and mapped now, but when i switch to a CD32 quick-start mode just the d-pad and red button are working?
Old 20 April 2024, 11:00   #20
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Work fine here. I recommend testing the the controller with JoyPortTest with lowlevel turned on.