English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 August 2001, 14:18   #21
Big-Byte
Long time member

Cyclone copier..

Ive got the Cyclone copier (hardware and software)

It comes with X-Copy II disk which has custom Cyclone copier on it too.

The only game I remember it working on well was Dragons Lair which uses loads of long tracks.. It took ages too.
Old 13 August 2001, 20:47   #22
Amiga1992

Hey Code, a question about this ADF2 format... any chance we can make those images get transferred back to real Amiga disks?
Old 13 August 2001, 23:50   #23
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Angry ADF2 back to Amiga floppies

Akira: Basically no you can't - in theory you have all the data you need but you would need a utility to convert the MFM back to disk and then there are the two problems of long tracks (disk drive needs to be slowed down to write the data back but you can't do this without hardware) and copy protection based on speed checks will also fail...
Old 14 August 2001, 00:24   #24
Amiga1992

Argh! What if I have a Cyclone cartride or some similar device?

(just trying to burn all possibilities, I MUST recover my R-Type 2 disk!)
Old 16 August 2001, 03:24   #25
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Cyclone hardware won't help

If you had a working R-Type 2 disk there and the blank to put it on, then yes I'm sure you could copy it for backup purposes. But if you know someone with the original and get a dump of the data, there is no way to write it back at the correct speed - Cyclone provides the hardware but you would need software to do it and that would be a big job.

Depending on the format of the game (I haven't disassembled this game) you might be able to write back all the tracks except the copy protected one and hope your original disk there is ok on that track and it might load, but if it's a custom format you are probably out of luck

I will send you R-Type 2 HD if you wish (when I get it)
Old 16 August 2001, 04:33   #26
Amiga1992

ARG!H Im screwed then. Damn that faulty diskdrive that corrupted my beloved disk!

That means I need someone with the original R-Type 2 disk, a Cyclone cartridge, and my faulty disk, to restore it. Right?

R-Type 2 HD might be nice, but not needed. Don't be arsed to find it, thanks a lot for your offer. I really wanted to restore my original That is my real wish, I could play the cracked (spit!) version of it anyday, but you know how collectors are, don;t you
Old 28 August 2001, 23:38   #27
Djay
95th User

cyclone as i remember it, was a plug thru device for use with a 2nd drive, to sync copy-protected disk speeds to a destination disk speeds, the only problem is that cyclone then added it's own copy-protection so you couldn't copy the copy with cyclone.

there was a cunning way around this, by nibble copying the first block on each side using x-copy and then copying the rest with cyclone, but each time you copied a copy you had to use this method.

a few of us cracked open the cyclone cartridge to find a re-wiring solution rather than a chip solution, so we made a few more cyclone cartridges, so if you find the diagram for the cart you can re-produce it.