English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 February 2004, 14:10   #1
Piramania

Winuae 0.8.24 crashes...

Hi!

I just downloaded the new WinUAE v. 0.8.24, but unlike previous versions, this new version crashes as soon, as I click the OK button to start the emulator...

My config is as follows:
Kick: 1.3,
Ram: 0.5 mb chip, 0.5 mb fast,
CPU: 68000, more compatible, match A500 speed
Display: Primary display driver, 800 * 600 full screen, no filter settings (it also crashes in Windowed mode)

I'm running WinUAE from a laptop, with the awful "S3 Twister" graphics chip (DirectX 9 by the way) and a mobile Intel Celeron 1.13 Ghz processor...

Any ideas?

Old 06 February 2004, 15:54   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach your winuaebootlog.txt, thanks.

It seems there is bug in display device enumeration if any detected display device is not active (like laptop's disabled VGA-out..)
Old 06 February 2004, 20:59   #3
Piramania

Here's my winuaebootlog.txt.

- Peter
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuaebootlog.zip (1.2 KB, 241 views)

Old 06 February 2004, 22:15   #4
Dr. Dude

You know, i don't have a fast crash like that, but some game's will yust lockup....maybe 4 at the 200 game's or so.
Old 06 February 2004, 22:18   #5
Kristian

Post Winuae and Strange Direct draw message.

Hay guys, I downloaded latest version of winuae, surprisingly it doesn't work at all, it starts to load up to the GUI front end, but never gets there, instead it pops up the following message, I'll try and give this as best as I can do.
Start_ddraw(): Directdraw initialization failed with 88076249 s=1 f=0876 c=0249 (585) (windows can not Create any more Dcs, or a DC Was Requested for paltte-indexed surface when the surface had no palette AND the Display mode was not palette-indexed (in this case DirectDraw cannot select a propper palette in to the Dc))
scuse the spelling, paltte-indexed was spelled like that in the dialog, there is an option to click on OK, then you get the following message imediately,

Winuae has caused an error in (unknown). Winuae will now close. if you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
upon clicking on close, nothing else is displayed.
my pc config is as follows,
ATI radion VE, the card is made by mercury. have downloaded latest reference driver from ATI, my processor is an AMD athlon XP 1800+ with 512 megs ram, running windows ME. sound card is a creative labs sound blaster live! 1024 I don't know what other configuration data you require to fix this, but I'll provide whatever you require.
I was getting this message yesterday using the original video card drivers provided on the install CD for the video card. I updated directx to 9.0b I don't know what else to do now, it has not worked since I got it downloaded, I even deleted my amiga configuration files to see if it was one of those that was corrupted. I've never seen an error like this ever before, don't even know what this palette index stuff is all about, perhaps you programmers among you may have a clue? I have tried running in all various screen resolutions from 640x480 up to 1024x768 and every windows colour scheme I can think of, because I don't understand what it means with this palette indexing stuff.
every version of winuae before this one has worked top notch! this isn't a dig at the authurs, I just am not sure what to do about it, because I have never had a problem with this wonderful program ever. the only thing I have ever had before was certain games didn't work, but they were usually ones I could play on the real miggy anyway, I once had jittery sound, but I fixed that with a new pc!
I have also tried messing with the AGP aperture size in the BIOS I changed that from 128 MB to 64 MB but no difference was noticed in how this thing works at the mo. changed AGp mode from Auto to 4x, no luck with that. if anyone happens to know about this error, can you suggest a fix?

Old 07 February 2004, 16:30   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Kristian: Does your card have dual-head support? If yes, try disabling second display adapter in device manager. (I think this is the only possible workaround)
Old 07 February 2004, 22:02   #7
Kristian

Post Winuae and duel head display adaptor

Hi tony, thanks for the info about the dual head video card thing, I have looked in device manager and the radion only appears there once, I have however got 2 monitors listed, so I tried disabling one of those, that still didn't let me use the emulator, I swapped out the video card for a single head Mvidia TNT2 and that lets me use the emulator just fine, oh yes, while I remember, that disk drive noise idea is great! I remember now why I used to listen for the drive activity now, usually so I knew what game I was loading and if the amiga appeared to crash I could tell from the drive sound if it had or not, if the drive was clicking then I knew it was ok, certain games I had, used to have a nasty tendancy to crash while loading, the disk noise was most helpful then. it certainly sounds like the real thing, even down to the fact that the stepper runs at different speeds depending on the games loaded! well done for that, specially now I have a way of telling if a game has crashed or not.
it's incredibly hard to tell when the games are loading with a black screen or something and there is no visible activity on screen showing what's what.
will there be a fix for the dual head video card problem? or am I going to have to use my TNT2 from now on?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08 February 2004, 13:43   #8
Kristian

I have swapped back to radion card, as well as send you the required log tony, you will find 2 log files in the private message I will post right after this, the first is generated on the radion card the second is off the mvidia TNT2 which lets winuae load fully, hope this is of use.

Old 08 February 2004, 16:33   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Both problems will fixed in soon to be released bugfix release. Thanks Piramania and Kristian for helping me to find some(embarrassing) bugs...