English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2022, 22:09   #1
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

Blizzard PPC wont Boot

Hi,

Recently, my Blizzard PPC decided not to boot and it refuses to ever since. None of the Keyboard shortcuts work. All the card does is reboot the Computer after 7 LED flashes. All Clocks seem Ok (for the 060 and PPC). I have heard the issue may be a corrupt flash ROM, if so where would I get it? I ordered a new EPROM just in case.

Thanks for any Help/Suggestions

Allan
Old 21 May 2022, 23:42   #2
Leon Besson

Have you checked the power supply? How are you powering this? Towered or in a standard A1200 case? RAM good?

Have you tried pulling the card out of the Zorro-II edge connector a bit?

ROM images can be found here ;

https://phase5.a1k.org/
Old 23 May 2022, 05:38   #3
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

Thanks for the link. I have an Amiga 1200 Tower. I tried several different power supplies and RAM Modules, no difference.
Old 23 May 2022, 10:03   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

As you suggest, it might be the onboard Flash. Back in the olden days (2010 ) when I got my BPPC, it was often repeated that the onboard Flash memory could corrupt itself after long periods of time, stopping the BlizzardPPC from booting.

Alas on my BPPC it was a different issue altogether, it was stored incorrectly and it had micro-cracks under the memory slot which made it stop from booting if it had a SIMM onboard. Worked fine without RAM, though. Might be worth a test.

Anyway, iirc you can try booting without startup-sequence and if it works, you can run the flashing tool to re-flash the onboard Flash memory.
Old 23 May 2022, 15:03   #5
Leon Besson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewlio77 View Post
Thanks for the link. I have an Amiga 1200 Tower. I tried several different power supplies and RAM Modules, no difference.
Have you tried cleaning the Zorro-II edge connectors with contact cleaner/ isopropyl?
Use a cotton Bud. Sometimes It can be down to crud on the connectors.

Are the XTALs solder on? Or are they socketed? If socketed, recheck fitment. Have had a BPPC fail to work because of a dodgy XTAL/Oscillator.

When you say this is in a tower. Any other hardware in the tower, such as Mediator board etc..? If no other add-one, have you tried adding a floppy power connector from the PSU to the floppy connector on the mainboard to provide a steady 5 volt power supply?
Old 23 May 2022, 18:21   #6
rjd324

This probably is not your issue having read this. But it's useful to add in an issue I noticed with my BPPC.

If you use an ATX PSU that does not have enough load on one of the voltage rails, then the other voltage rail does not "start" and so the BPPC does not boot.
Old 26 May 2022, 22:02   #7
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have tried different power supplies and even motherboards, with and without ram, no luck to be had, the same issue, 7 flashes of the Power LED and the computer reboots and repeats the same symptoms. The screen will briefly flash white before it reboots, nothing else.

I do have a new blank Flash Rom on hand and a programmer, but finding the actual Rom contents to flash isn't easy. I believe the ones found on the Phase5 download site offered earlier only contains the executable versions meant for working cards, not the RAW ROM contents. Not sure what to do beyond this point...

Allan V.
Old 27 May 2022, 06:55   #8
Jope
-

Do the flashing in emulation and use the resulting file. Start with a blank empty file as the ROM file.
Old 28 May 2022, 02:51   #9
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

An odd thing has happened today. I recently installed OS 3.2.1 ROMS in my Amiga 1200. Out of boredom I decided to continue troubleshooting my Blizzard PPC card. To my surprise it booted, though with no Fast Memory, Chip only. The Memory modules are known to be working. The CPU shows up as on 68040, which is normal since the 060 libraries are not on my boot partition. I swapped the original 3.1 ROMs back in, and the same symptoms occurred as before, no boot, 7 Led flashes with a brief white screen before the computer reboots . I have heard that 3.1.4+ ROMs disable the FPU during initialization, so perhaps this has something to do with it? My SysInfo results are odd as well, a 14.18 MHz clock and no FPU. I will continue troubleshooting.

Last edited by Drewlio77; 28 May 2022 at 03:18. Reason: Additional info...
Old 28 May 2022, 17:31   #10
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

Good news! My Blizzard PPC lives again, with full 68060/PPC and Memory goodness. After about an hour of troubleshooting via software and several reboots, my 1200 booted with full memory and full 68060 functionality. Since I was able to get access to the card via the Amiga OS/ROMs, I successfully re-flashed the card using the Phase5 Flash Utilities supplied on phase5.a1k.org. The first flash took much longer than normal, which had me concerned if it would succeed or not, potentially messing up the flash contents. Luckily this was not the case. I re-flashed it a second time, flashing as expected. I am not sure what to say here, random weirdness? Saved by OS 3.2.1? I will test it for a few days before I move the BlizzardPPC back into my A1200 Tower. Happy times, Happy times indeed
Old 28 May 2022, 17:37   #11
Leon Besson

Quote:
Good news! My Blizzard PPC lives again, with full 68060/PPC and Memory goodness. After about an hour of troubleshooting via software and several reboots, my 1200 booted with full memory and full 68060 functionality. Since I was able to get access to the card via the Amiga OS/ROMs, I successfully re-flashed the card using the Phase5 Flash Utilities supplied on phase5.a1k.org. The first flash took much longer than normal, which had me concerned if it would succeed or not, potentially messing up the flash contents. Luckily this was not the case. I re-flashed it a second time, flashing as expected. I am not sure what to say here, random weirdness? Saved by OS 3.2.1? I will test it for a few days before I move the BlizzardPPC back into my A1200 Tower. Happy times, Happy times indeed
This sounds familiar to what happened with one of my cards. Had a switchable ROM setup on my A1200. But I used 3.1.4 ROM and like you got activity out of the BPPC card. But I had to use the following syntax to get the flash to work;

BPPCUpdate060 MHz=240 FORCE

As when I tried the original method even with a FORCE it didn’t know the PPC MHz.

Glad you got it fixed Mang!
Old 29 May 2022, 04:55   #12
Drewlio77
Drewlio77

Leon,

I had to use the FORCE option after using "s" on the keyboard to disable the PPC library after the initial flash.

It was an interesting journey. Always something new to learn. I am glad it came out of hibernation
Old 29 May 2022, 16:11   #13
Leon Besson

Quote:
Leon,

I had to use the FORCE option after using "s" on the keyboard to disable the PPC library after the initial flash.

It was an interesting journey. Always something new to learn. I am glad it came out of hibernation
Indeed!

Have fun with WarpOS and Warp3D