English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 30 September 2015, 16:33   #1
dex
Eat Electric Death

Happy Flashback (REminiscence) compiling help

Hello everyone,

as this is about the Amiga-game Flashback (was ported to various platforms later, though) and about compiling sourcecode (even if not only AmigaOS related), I will try to post this in Coders.General - hope that is ok.

So I follow this source port http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/ for several years now. It's quite a good idea to combine Flashback's Amiga music with DOS graphics and make it run on today's operating systems. It is fully open source and uses SDL. So I tried to change some things (actually I want it to open in fullscreen and with a point scaler instead of a scale2x filter) and compile it for Windows. However, I can't seem to get it to work as frankly a lot of time has passed since I actively coded stuff and nowaddays I get stuck at basics even (yeah, sad, moving on).

Can you help me in getting this to compile somehow? The things I am missing etc.? I do not want help considering the sources, this is something I want to fiddle around with and fail myself, but it's really frustrating to get stuck at the mere process of compiling existing and working sources.

Right now I am using free compilers and IDE such as "code:blocks" or "dev-c++" with the MinGW compiler. All under Windows 8.1. I have no access to Visual Studio or anything more sophisticated unfortunately, but I do not think it's absolutely neccessary.

I assume the problem lies within configuration of SDL for any of the IDEs globally so that everything is in its place when compiling (it's obviously not the source code as I still use the original unedited one which can be found here http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/...-0.2.1.tar.bz2)
Old 30 September 2015, 18:48   #2
Leffmann

It seems the archive is some development version, because it won't build as is. I had to modify some of the files first, after that it builds and plays fine.

Download SDL 1.2 development archive from sdl.org, replace the source files with the ones in my archive, install Visual Studio Community (it's free), and then you can do a simple build like this:
Code:
cl /c /DBYPASS_PROTECTION /Isdl\include\ *.cpp
link /OUT:rs.exe sdl\lib\x86\SDL.lib *.obj
Attached Files
File Type: zip rs.zip (3.8 KB, 184 views)
Old 30 September 2015, 19:18   #3
dex
Eat Electric Death

Thank you, I will try this at once! Very nice of you to actually test it AND modify the files, wow Ah the EAB, always as great as I remember it.

Edit: Great, it compiles (tried again with your edited sources using dev-c++!) Thank you very much!

Last edited by dex; 30 September 2015 at 20:26.
Old 30 September 2015, 21:09   #4
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Hello everyone,

as this is about the Amiga-game Flashback (was ported to various platforms later, though) and about compiling sourcecode (even if not only AmigaOS related), I will try to post this in Coders.General - hope that is ok.

So I follow this source port http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/ for several years now. It's quite a good idea to combine Flashback's Amiga music with DOS graphics and make it run on today's operating systems. It is fully open source and uses SDL. So I tried to change some things (actually I want it to open in fullscreen and with a point scaler instead of a scale2x filter) and compile it for Windows. However, I can't seem to get it to work as frankly a lot of time has passed since I actively coded stuff and nowaddays I get stuck at basics even (yeah, sad, moving on).

Can you help me in getting this to compile somehow? The things I am missing etc.? I do not want help considering the sources, this is something I want to fiddle around with and fail myself, but it's really frustrating to get stuck at the mere process of compiling existing and working sources.

Right now I am using free compilers and IDE such as "code:blocks" or "dev-c++" with the MinGW compiler. All under Windows 8.1. I have no access to Visual Studio or anything more sophisticated unfortunately, but I do not think it's absolutely neccessary.

I assume the problem lies within configuration of SDL for any of the IDEs globally so that everything is in its place when compiling (it's obviously not the source code as I still use the original unedited one which can be found here http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/...-0.2.1.tar.bz2)

maybe you want to combine the macintosh graphics with amiga music
the mac version of flashback is the only one that contains high resolution graphics, is the best version by far in all platforms

the music in the mac version is very good also. but I think the amiga music is a bit better
Old 01 October 2015, 10:38   #5
dex
Eat Electric Death

I am sorry but this version looks extremely horrible. I just took a look at the Mobygames screenshots. The absolute low point is his face (?) and the blurred title screen. Whoever made this port - even if it was Delphine themselves - should hope that this is not the one that will be remembered. And it sure is not one I would want to see ported. So - it may have been a nice idea on paper but this crude upscaling destroys all of Flashback's charm. Just look at Conrad: in the original versions you could imagine all the details on his jacket, head, weapon - and in Highres you actually "see" naive facial details and higher resolution background elements combined with simple low resolution upscales which seem to actually clash with each other (http://www.mobygames.com/game/macint...ShotId,540044/). By the way, his gun looks like a complete joke in "high res".

Actually I did not want to start that kind of rant over a game as great as Flashback but in my opinion this version completely ruins the vision of the original artists and needs to be discussed Sometimes a game should be played the way it was meant to - in low resolution. More "details" are not always the way to go - especially from an artistic standpoint. And before anyone mentions it - I also do not like the newer "rendered" cutscenes that came in later CD versions. They are definitely not bad for the time but they are not even nearly as timeless and atmospheric as the originals.

Maybe some people even like Conrad's white t-shirt more in the original 1992 Amiga release - or prefer his even less detailed look back then. But I guess Conrad's enhanced shading from the PC/SNES version combined with the original background tiles and slightly extended intro cutscene result in one of the best possible versions of the game, graphically.

All I just wrote just reflects an opinion of course, as this is bordering the realms of personal taste, there is probably no "perfect" version

...hm, maybe I do like the white shirt best...

Last edited by dex; 01 October 2015 at 10:50.
Old 25 September 2017, 18:48   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Anyone knows if there is a version REminiscence SDL per OS3 ? on PC the SDL 2 version is cool.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 October 2017 at 22:49.