English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 January 2023, 08:23   #421
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
do you mean tunes composed for dual SID like this one?

[ Show youtube player ]
Yes, these are "2SID" tunes using two SIDs, giving 6 simultaneous SID channels.
Old 21 January 2023, 16:48   #422
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
Old 21 January 2023, 19:16   #423
koobo

Quote:
Forgot to mention that this is an application of the reSID engine so it'll need a 060 or comparable to run.
Old 15 February 2023, 05:44   #424
koobo

HippoPlayer v2.56 available:
Old 15 February 2023, 09:09   #425
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Thank you koobo !
Old 15 February 2023, 11:53   #426
DisasterIncarna

looking good \o/ love these updates, well worth it btw how does the online radio station part work? using search a lot of the results do work but some like Slay Radio produce the error "Error Downloading Data", trying the downloaded Slay radio .M3U file also doesnt work so not sure whats happening there, still have to use AmigaAmp to listen to slay radio atm.

Other than that, amazing work as always,
Old 15 February 2023, 20:42   #427
shelter

Woah, another update!
Much appreciated, I was thrilled when I saw Hippoplayer getting updated again. It was my favorite player back in the day and still is.
Old 15 February 2023, 23:21   #428
Estrayk

Thx for the update! Testing in real Amiga:

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Estrayk; 16 February 2023 at 00:00.
Old 15 February 2023, 23:34   #429
tygre
Returning fan!

Awesome!
Thanks!
Old 16 February 2023, 06:06   #430
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
using search a lot of the results do work but some like Slay Radio produce the error "Error Downloading Data"
This stream doesn't seem to provide the HTTP-header "Content-Type" which hippo checks for "mpeg/audio", and gets rejected. It provides no headers, which might indicate something is broken on the server end... It plays ok if the test is changed to be less strict, assuming an mpeg stream if the type is not specified. This might however break something elsewhere. If you want I can throw a version with this modification your way.

Last edited by koobo; 16 February 2023 at 06:29.
Old 16 February 2023, 10:24   #431
DisasterIncarna

that would be nice, or maybe a toggle option that enables/disables this behaviour? havent tried a wider selection of stations yet so not sure is this would be needed as a basic option, understandably if this is a rarity then its probably not worth it.
Old 16 February 2023, 10:36   #432
koobo

Quote:
Thx for the update! Testing in real Amiga:

[ Show youtube player ]
Check out Jammer's tunes, he squeezes some amazing sounds out of the SID. Example 2SIDs: "Yet Bigger Beat", "Two Times Better"
Old 16 February 2023, 10:58   #433
DisasterIncarna

can somebody else do a quick test for me, wondering if i have a rogue playsid library or something duplicated somewhere thats messing things up, can someone compare this.

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/M...elity_2SID.sid

and do a search in hippo for "FIDELITY 2SID" on HVSC, the tune doesnt play correctly for me in hippo, compare that to the results in the chordian link above.

the tune ANALOQUE 2SID skips with an error.

When compared in Chordian.net, other tunes such as PIRATEN 2SID and SPACE ODDITY 2SID also seems to be playing but with bits missing, perhaps being recognised as 2SID but still being played as a regular sid maybe?

Plenty of others are working 100% perfectly fine however, so its not all bad news.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 21 March 2023 at 15:34.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:44   #434
koobo

Quote:
can somebody else do a quick test for me, wondering if i have a rogue playsid library or something duplicated somewhere thats messing things up, can someone compare this.

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/M...elity_2SID.sid

and do a search in hippo for "FIDELITY 2SID" on HVSC, the tune doesnt play correctly for me in hippo, compare that to the results in the chordian link above.

the tune ANALOQUE 2SID skips with an error.

When compared in Chordian.net, other tunes such as PIRATEN 2SID and SPACE ODDITY 2SID also seems to be playing but with bits missing, perhaps being recognised as 2SID but still being played as a regular sid maybe?

Plenty of others are working 100% perfectly fine however, so its not all bad news.
Quick check for some of these:
- ANALOQUE 2SID is an RSID tune, which playsid.library can't handle (needs a cycle exact emulated C64 environment)
- FIDELITY 2SID also seems to be something that playsid.library can't handle, play speed seems to be way too slow at least

EDIT: If playing a 2SID with a sidplayer that doesn't handle those (like older hippo+playsid.lib), only half of the channels are audible, sometimes alternating between the 1st and the 2nd sid output.

Last edited by koobo; 16 February 2023 at 11:51.
Old 16 February 2023, 12:26   #435
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Quick check for some of these:
- ANALOQUE 2SID is an RSID tune, which playsid.library can't handle (needs a cycle exact emulated C64 environment)
- FIDELITY 2SID also seems to be something that playsid.library can't handle, play speed seems to be way too slow at least

EDIT: If playing a 2SID with a sidplayer that doesn't handle those (like older hippo+playsid.lib), only half of the channels are audible, sometimes alternating between the 1st and the 2nd sid output.
ah, got it. I do seem to be hearing 1/2 the audio from some sid tunes and i "think" i have hippo, hippo's group file and the new playsid all in place, at least when i play these sids with issues, hip's display is stating they are 2SID tunes and it does try to play them, mostly 100% perfectly fine, but as with fidelity/etc some tunes still say they are 2SID but are seemingly playing 1/2 the channels.

I was hoping i just messed up and borked the install, but the new files are seemingly in place and i cant yet find any lurking duplicates of older files that might be getting loaded instead.

Probably have to wait and see if anyone else has issues or if its just me, if its me, then ive obviously messed something up, meaning the problem hunt is on....
Old 16 February 2023, 15:21   #436
Estrayk

Quote:
Check out Jammer's tunes, he squeezes some amazing sounds out of the SID. Example 2SIDs: "Yet Bigger Beat", "Two Times Better"
I'm listening right now "Yet Bigger Beat", very good one!, by the way, what diffenreces there're between:

reSID filter internal and reSID Internal+External?
Old 16 February 2023, 16:41   #437
koobo

Quote:
Probably have to wait and see if anyone else has issues or if its just me, if its me, then ive obviously messed something up, meaning the problem hunt is on....
Fidelity 2SID, Piraten 2SID, Space Oddity 2SID do not sound correct here either. I'm guessing playsid.library has issues with these.
Old 16 February 2023, 16:47   #438
koobo

Quote:
I'm listening right now "Yet Bigger Beat", very good one!, by the way, what diffenreces there're between:

reSID filter internal and reSID Internal+External?
There are two filters in SID, the internal filter is responsible for the distinctive C64 sound, the external filter is something that reSID also models, I guess for completeness.

It's a band pass filter with a 16Hz...16kHz band and at least I haven't really noticed much difference if it is enabled. I don't often use HIFI listening equipment though

Turning it off saves some CPU and may be helpful in a tight spot
Old 16 February 2023, 21:06   #439
DisasterIncarna

taking a further look at those sids in particular, at second glance, i see that chordian lists what player routine was used for the sids, in all 3 of those files i actually see their replayer is called "Hermit/SidWizard V1.x", perhaps thats something they all share in common thats giving issues.

I might go through more 2SID files and see if any of the ones having issues share a common player/replayer routine.
Old 16 February 2023, 21:40   #440
DisasterIncarna

ok as an update, ive quickly had a look/listen to quite a few and my initial guess is correct, ALL 2SIDS i have come accross using the player "Hermit/SidWizard V1.x" have issues.

The bulk of 2SID's ive come accross use the player "GoatTracker V1.x & V2.x" and work perfectly, other sid players that seem to work perfectly fine are listed/marked with.

Glover NewPlayer V21
JCH NewPlayer & NewPlayer V17
Geir Tjelta/SIDDUZ'It
DMC V4.x
Cheesecutter V2.x

A load more either have no player info and instead have demo/musician/other names where other typically have the player name, some are vague where you cant really tell if its a player name or a demo/group/etc name, but they all seem to function regardless.

This leaves the aforementioned player that is causing all issues i can find so far, no idea if this "Hermit/SidWizard V1.x" has any info/documentation or active coders anywhere who can shed light on the issue but for now its the singular problem which the current sidplay is having issues with that i can see.

Also found:

8BitDigi/Mahoney
-Error!/Skips
--Steriophonic 6581 2SID
--Steriophonic 8580 2SID

These skip/error out, so looking at your previous post regarding a skip, i can assume these are also probably RSID's?

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 16 February 2023 at 21:54.