English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 August 2012, 15:40   #1
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

JetHunt - my 'new' game

Hi all,

I've been talking for years about a HERO tribute I was doing and it's finally here!

This game is for Windows 95 and above (or compatible)

Thought I'd best release it here first though, especially as a large amount of the development of this game was thanks to the Amiga. The music and much of the graphics were done on it. I still actually have some Amiga source code and may yet port it back!

I started this game in 1992 so it's only taken 20 years! Will be releasing it properly on my website later if no horrid bugs are found.

ps - I left a line of debugging text at the bottom of the game window, this wont show up on my website's version

Let me know what you think guys.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JetHunt 1.0.zip (2.48 MB, 356 views)

Last edited by Coagulus; 27 August 2012 at 15:48. Reason: extra info
Old 28 August 2012, 01:54   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I had a quick game of this and I think its great.

A pretty faithful conversion of H.E.R.O and just as fun as the original. I would love this on the amiga. Is it possible to make alternative gfx packs for this so you can alternate between DLX/2600/c64 gfx?

You need to make the rescued miner raise his arm when you rescue him so it looks like he is giving you head like in the original though.
Old 28 August 2012, 02:13   #3
lesta_smsc

Works great on Windows 7 64bit! lol - funny little game - great conversion!
Old 28 August 2012, 08:22   #4
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I had a quick game of this and I think its great.

A pretty faithful conversion of H.E.R.O and just as fun as the original. I would love this on the amiga. Is it possible to make alternative gfx packs for this so you can alternate between DLX/2600/c64 gfx?
Although it is possible to edit the graphics the size and positioning isn't true to the original. There is a pixel perfect remake for the PC out there. Still want to do the Amiga version.

Quote:
You need to make the rescued miner raise his arm when you rescue him so it looks like he is giving you head like in the original though.
I kept meaning to do the miners arms raised but forgot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Works great on Windows 7 64bit! lol - funny little game - great conversion!
Cheers, I wrote it on Windows 7 64bit.

Last edited by Coagulus; 28 August 2012 at 08:29. Reason: half asleep, did half a post!
Old 01 September 2012, 00:45   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Aw, no one else commented? Sorry guys for sounding needy, it's not a complex game but it took me a long time to finish.
Old 01 September 2012, 09:54   #6
Cpt. Hindsight

Just gave it a try. Although I really liked H.E.R.O. a lot, I was really bad, but that's another story. Jethunt is a nice game, it feels and plays like the original and it looks like a 16 bit conversion. I really like the graphic and sound style of the game. I guess, I'll play it quite often in the near future.
btw: Works great with a 360 pad.
Old 01 September 2012, 19:23   #7
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Cheers, I actually find it harder than the original. I use a PS2 pad. I would certainly be 16 bit style, the bulk of the development was on the Amiga! Maybe one day I'll port it back...
Old 01 September 2012, 19:54   #8
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Never played HERO so cannot compare. Anyway it worked fine here (played 4-5 levels, died in the one where you start to break a lot of lamps).

Played with a USB Saturn pad and everything was fine. However, it did not work until I selected it in the options. If possible, it would be great for it to be active from the beginning.

Also, I expected to be able to leave with Alt+F4. Nothing important though.
Old 01 September 2012, 20:16   #9
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Afraid I never trapped Alt+F4, may add that along with the miners raising their hands. There'll probably be a 1.1 version at some point. Also, control settings should be saved on exit.
Old 01 September 2012, 20:32   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
Also, control settings should be saved on exit.
They are.
It just seemed counter-intuitive to need to "activate" the joypad.
Old 01 September 2012, 20:38   #11
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

i used to have a joypad which sent erratic joystick commands through its analogue stick, would have made it hard to select the controls if it was jumping about, so I defaulted to off just in case someone else experienced this. That way, even if activated accidentally, it can be restored by deleting the .jethunt file.
Old 05 October 2020, 17:08   #12
Stwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Never played HERO

I just about fainted when I read this

It was an awesome game, back in the day, every time I fire up my 800XL, H.E.R.O is always the first thing to be used.

I know this is an old post, but I can’t believe I didn’t know this existed. I’m looking forward to trying out this tribute to it. Of course, just because I think it was awesome, doesn’t mean everyone else has to too - we can’t all like the same things, thankfully.
Old 05 October 2020, 21:59   #13
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stwert View Post
I just about fainted when I read this

It was an awesome game, back in the day, every time I fire up my 800XL, H.E.R.O is always the first thing to be used.

I know this is an old post, but I can’t believe I didn’t know this existed. I’m looking forward to trying out this tribute to it. Of course, just because I think it was awesome, doesn’t mean everyone else has to too - we can’t all like the same things, thankfully.
Thanks. I haven't plugged the PC version much because Blitzplus (that it was written in) hasn't liked my last 2 laptops and runs all my games at a few frames per second at best.

One day I'll port it to Monkey/Cerberus and make new builds. Perhaps even for Android....