English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 February 2023, 19:38   #1
Ponki1986

WinUAE & QuarkTex

Hello. I would like to ask if it is true that QuarkTex works only with WinUAE version 3.4? This is the information I found on the web. If this is true then I would like to ask why the latest versions do not work with it? And another question, I guess mainly directed to Toni, is there any chance that future versions of WinUAE could work with it again?

Greetings.
Old 07 February 2023, 23:27   #2
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Even if this Thread is for WinUAE 2.3, read it! Maybe that will be usefull for you. WinUAE + QuarkTex. Search for similar posts or threads on this board and then search on the WWW. Good luck.
Old 08 February 2023, 03:26   #3
Korban

Is there a particular reason you want to use it?
Wazp3d has hardware acceleration options under emulation.
Old 08 February 2023, 11:35   #4
Ponki1986

I have several games that use Warp3D:

- BlitzQuake
- Hexen 2
- Quake 3 Arena
- Block Out 2

Plus various small demos demonstrating the capabilities of OpenGL on Amiga, and GLExcess.

Looking for information on what would be better for them Wazp3D or VooDoo emulation, I found information on QuarkTex. Unfortunately it supposedly only works with WinUAE 3.4.

Today I checked QuarkTex with WinUAE 4.10.1 and everything except Quake 3 works very well. In Q3 the Menu subtitles were not readable, and Q3 runs smoother with Wazp3D, but with the rendering set to SoftToBitmap.

Of course, some games didn't want to run straight away, as the likes of BlitzQuake required the window width on WB to be no smaller than 640px, and it only started to run properly on full screen at the native resolution of my LCD TV (1024x768). Below this size the image was clipped.

Unfortunately some small demos like Atlantis don't work with QuarkTex. The demo opens a window on WB, but it is empty. I can close it properly without GURU.

Under Wazp3D the GLExcess demo was able to crash, while under QuarkTex it works very well and much faster.
Old 03 March 2023, 21:20   #5
thellier

Hello

(I am the Wazp3d author)

GLExcess demo was intensively tested with Wazp3D and worked 100% so if dont works for you it is
1) that winuae have changed since ?
2) Your WinuAE config is not correct : wb use a bad screen mode or dont have enough memory
Old 06 March 2023, 22:59   #6
Ponki1986

Hi. Yes, I know that you are the author of Wazp3D. I use it on a daily basis on my iBook G4 A1133, where the latest MorphOS no longer has Warp3D support for my Radeon. However, thanks to your Wazp3D I can play ShogoMAD or WipeOut 2097 without any problem, everything works almost perfectly.

Under WinUAE I also used Wazp3D for a long time, but mainly with SoftToBitmap settings. Hard mode often resulted in a GURU display with a message that the device bus could not be accessed. But sometimes I was nevertheless able to run Hard mode e.g. in the game Quake 3 Arena. Unfortunately it was even slower than SoftToBitmap.

Maybe actually the resulting problems have to do with a bad WinUAE configuration, or with Windows 7 SP1 x86 and the Fujitsu FutroS720 that I use for Amiga emulation.

All in all, the GLExcess demo works very well for me under Wazp3D, and when setting up the topic I had no intention of comparing it with QuarkTex, because at the time I wasn't using it yet, I didn't think it would work at all with the latest WinUAE.

Currently, I have to say that QuarkTex is much faster. But it does have its drawbacks. Unfortunately it can only be used with WinUAE x86. It also doesn't support all OpenGL commands, because, for example, I can't turn on LIT in Quake and the whole image is black. Under Wazp3D they are displayed. Often after closing the game there is an AmigaOS reset, this is not present under Wazp3D.

Games like HHexen, Hexen 2, Quake, Quake 2, BlockOut2 are much faster than under Wazp3D in Hard or Hard(Overlay) mode if I can run them this way.

But as I mentioned I wasn't going to invoke anything, just asking the community if it works at all with the latest WinUAE.

(Translated via DeepL)
Old 07 March 2023, 09:20   #7
thellier

Sometime it is difficult to find out if wazp3d truly use hardware (it may fall back to soft) so set "Debug Sepia image" in Wazp3D-Prefs = if pixels drawn with Wazp3D become red then it is draw with Wazp3D soft rendering
Old 10 March 2023, 14:56   #8
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponki1986 View Post
It also doesn't support all OpenGL commands, because, for example, I can't turn on LIT in Quake and the whole image is black. Under Wazp3D they are displayed.
AFAIR you need to disable gl_fake_multitexture and gl_flashblend (set to 0) to get LIT and some other things to work with Quarktex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponki1986 View Post
Often after closing the game there is an AmigaOS reset, this is not present under Wazp3D.
Try -noudp

Last edited by James; 10 March 2023 at 15:50. Reason: Corrections + additions
Old 10 March 2023, 21:55   #9
Ponki1986

Quote:
AFAIR you need to disable gl_fake_multitexture and gl_flashblend (set to 0) to get LIT and some other things to work with Quarktex.
It actually works. And I stupidly kept typing gl_fake_multitextures, with the letter S at the end.

Quote:
Try -noudp
Yes, I use this parameter. But I mean in general using QuarkTex with other games as well. However, I noticed that with the latest beta of WinUAE 4.10.2 GURU does not appear so often anymore.

Thank you.

By the way, I also ran BlitzQuake on MorphOS. Of course, the PPC version and there LIT files work fine as well, but generally seen guns are blue. Has anyone encountered something like this?