English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 August 2014, 07:36   #21
watsonfmly

My card was destroying drives. Amigakit had to replace 3 chips. Now my card is ok..... Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 17 August 2014, 01:28   #22
Vicky

Amigakit replaced a chip and I had to pay for it, and thew shipment both ways even though the card was under warranty. Their claim was that since the card was OK when they sent it to me. The card is still flaky.
Old 17 August 2014, 01:32   #23
Vicky

I have been through 3 CD-ROM drives, and 4 setting for each of them--no jumper, Cable Select, Slave and Master, and 2 other hard drives. It saw one of the drives with the jumper on slave and didn't recognize a CD in the drive and wouldn't eject the drive at all.
Old 17 August 2014, 03:28   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
I have been through 3 CD-ROM drives, and 4 setting for each of them--no jumper, Cable Select, Slave and Master, and 2 other hard drives. It saw one of the drives with the jumper on slave and didn't recognize a CD in the drive and wouldn't eject the drive at all.
Ok, With the drive it did see, whats in your devs/dosdrivers, there should be CD0 there. Edit it and see what its pointing to.

When you installed IDEFIX, did it find CD ROM? as IDEFIX normally sets it all up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
Amigakit replaced a chip and I had to pay for it, and thew shipment both ways even though the card was under warranty. Their claim was that since the card was OK when they sent it to me. The card is still flaky.
Its not a claim its fact. I would hardly send out hardware that is destroying drives.

Its not flaky, your just not setting it up right.
Old 17 August 2014, 04:03   #25
Vicky

Let me be very clear. The only response I got was that when I did a "Scan Device" command from the Buddha software, it saw the drive. It did not respond to any other commands. My latest plan is to reinstall the Buddha software with the CD-ROM the computer does see connected. That still DOES NOT explain why it doesn't detect another hard drive on the same cable.

Just FYI, I started out doing Amiga hardware with connecting a 100MB hard drive to a Janus 2286 Bridgeboard and splitting the drive between the Amiga and the Bridgeboard in 1991. Then I replaced a fuse to fix my mouse and have been doing hardware ever since, to include building 2 of the 4 desktops I have in my house. What that means to you is this. I would have NEVER done anything to damage a card for my Amiga and I can follow instructions. So how ab out you send me a set?
Old 17 August 2014, 05:28   #26
Vicky

Now, after uninstalling and reinstalling the IDEFix software, the CD-ROM responds to commands and actually reads ONE CD. It's an AC/DC CD I use to test and adjust sound. However, I have no sound from the playing CD. Additionally, the CD-ROM does not read Amiga CDs, specifically the Amiga OS3.9 CD that I use to install.
Old 17 August 2014, 06:06   #27
watsonfmly

If Amigakit wouldn't send out a bad card, how come multiple people are having problems.

It's not like she said you did it on purpose. Hardware has a warranty for a reason..... not every piece of hardware is perfect. Even if they came off of an automated assembly line (which these did not).

Personally, I think the repair cost (and shipping back) should be refunded ti Vicky. It is just good business, and helps people trust a company that says a card has a one year warranty.

It is sad because Amigakit is the only place to buy most Amiga stuff. However, I will remember this and think twice about ordering again.

Oh well.....
Old 17 August 2014, 06:32   #28
Vicky

Thank you very much for your support.

Try these people.

http://www.vesalia.de/
Old 17 August 2014, 14:03   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonfmly View Post
If Amigakit wouldn't send out a bad card, how come multiple people are having problems.

It's not like she said you did it on purpose. Hardware has a warranty for a reason..... not every piece of hardware is perfect. Even if they came off of an automated assembly line (which these did not).

Personally, I think the repair cost (and shipping back) should be refunded ti Vicky. It is just good business, and helps people trust a company that says a card has a one year warranty.

It is sad because Amigakit is the only place to buy most Amiga stuff. However, I will remember this and think twice about ordering again.

Oh well.....
There have only been two reports of this issue. Both were down to blown IC's. Consdiering I tested each and every one shipped, how would an issue where it destroys drives get past anyone.
You would have to be crazy to ship out an item in that state.

I think your being rather unfair as we have helped every step of the way.
I even reply on forums in my own time, which I dont have to.
Old 17 August 2014, 18:27   #30
watsonfmly

Not unfair. Crap happens. Shipping errors, etc. Maybe these cards were zapped in transit? Who knows.

I appreciate your position, however, immediately blaming the customers (who keep you in business) IS being rather unfair...
Old 17 August 2014, 22:26   #31
bdb

Smile CD Drives can be problematic

Some high end and newer CD drives never get recognized by the ATAPI device, but almost all drive older than 5 to 10 years do (also check your Master/Slave jumpers).
Old 17 August 2014, 23:21   #32
Vicky

I set the har drive on Master and tried all 4 possible jumper settings per CD-ROM. The setting I tried for the CD-ROM were--no jumper, Master, Slave and Cable Select.
Old 18 August 2014, 04:13   #33
bdb

Smile

Try another CDROM and set it to Slave; preferably one made between 2002 and 2008, also avoid Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba ~~ LG, Acer, Mitsumi, Teac, and the other lesser name manufacturers tend to work better.
Old 18 August 2014, 04:20   #34
Vicky

I tried 3 of them. I don't know if they work or not. So, I ordered an IDE/ATAPI from Amazo. It's a Samsung. I'll post what happens.
'
Old 18 August 2014, 04:52   #35
Vicky

As I think about it, this will be a 2 part approach because the IDE cable is not recognizing a second device either. While I wait for the CD-ROM to get here, I'll format another hard drive in WinUAE and see if the system sees it. I already know I can take the only deice on the cable and switch connectors with it. I just can't get it to recognize two devices at the same time.
Old 18 August 2014, 21:59   #36
Vicky

Well, this problem is that the Buddha does not recognize a second IDE device on the IDE cable. It doesn't matter whether it''s a hard drive or a CD-ROM. I have tried both, jumpered appropriately. Two, actually, because I have two and they both behave the same way.
Old 18 August 2014, 22:16   #37
watsonfmly

I wish i had some answers for you. Once mine came back from Amigakit, it worked.

I don't trust it yet..... something feels funny, but i haven't put my finger on it yet.

I know at one point I put a different SCSI card in my A2000, and my IDE wasn't recognized.

I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 18 August 2014, 22:23   #38
Vicky

Thank you and your response IS very helpful. I also have a SCSI drive on a card and now I know I may have problems with that and the Buddha. My next plan is to check out the other set of pins and see if they will support two devices.

Again, thank you very much. You have been very helpful.
Old 14 January 2016, 23:12   #39
rave
Amiga's made me who I am.

Hi, i'm resurecting this thread if possible as my buddha from amigakit is doing the same thing! showing PC4 in early startup and not booting from the hard drive.

I had issues with this card originally (it was a refurb from amigakit a while back) it wouldn't detect any of my CF cards on various adapters and barely any hard drives, I even bought a trueide in the vain hope that would solve the issue but it did not, me and Zetro spent a whole day trying many different IDE drives, 2.5 and 3.5 and of all the ones we tried only 1 2.5 drive connected through a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter cable worked, I wasn't very happy when i sent it back to be told there was nothing wrong with the card and to have it sent back covering all costs etc, but i let it lye at the time as I found a combination that worked.

Now i haven't used my A2000 for a really long time, but i fired it up today only to find it not booting, upon further inspection in the early boot menu I am seeing the PC4 symptom described here, and the hard drive is no longer recognised in UAE as it was before.

Could someone from amigakit get back to me please?
Old 15 January 2016, 04:50   #40
Vicky

Good luck with Amigakit getting back with you. They've had both my cards for almost a year.