English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 September 2020, 23:06   #1
Planetinfinity

Metal Shield necessary today ?

Hallo,

In addition to the Kickstart ROM I bought a SD Card Adapter.
https://sordan.ie/product/481/angle-...miga-600-1200/

In order to implement the SD Card adapter I would need to remove the A1200 metal shield.

Is the metal shield neccessary today or can I simply remove the shield without any disadvantages ?

BR Planetinfinity
Old 04 September 2020, 00:34   #2
rabidgerry

Many people have thrown it away and indeed it seems to be something I have recently been forced into doing. I still have it but yes you can indeed get rid of it as so many already have.

I think I only wanted it to keep things as original as possible with regards to the case and enclosure etc but alas things change. Do you need it? No not really.
Old 04 September 2020, 01:42   #3
shaf

The Metal Shield is for RF interference, If you are not using the RF Modulator and have on old RF items like the 9XX MHz phones its not needed. That was an issue in 80's and early 90's.

Shaf
Old 04 September 2020, 08:55   #4
grond

Do not throw the metal shield away, a lot of people would want one just to make their A1200 complete! (The same goes for the HDD-cradle). There are lots of SDcard adapters that you can connect to the A1200's IDE port via a flexible cable. I personally use an SD2CF-adapter inside a standard CF2IDE-adapter. I put all that into the small plastic bag the CF2IDE-adapter came in and that's it. No need to remove the metal shield at all.
Old 04 September 2020, 09:35   #5
stevew

I just use a ribbon cable to connect my SD-IDE adapter, I've kept the top shield on and in place.
Old 04 September 2020, 12:21   #6
aeberbach

It does look pretty good, sandblasted and refinished. Very rare to find an undamaged one, if you have one don't throw it away!
Old 04 September 2020, 12:44   #7
dreadnought

I put it away because it was inconvenient, but wasn't sure I'm not exposing the innards to some terrible danger. Glad for the OP
Old 05 September 2020, 15:05   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I have a box in storage that is full of top sheildings.

The only reason I would leave one in, is for completeness and the originality of it!

But I have never seen any side effects of removing it apart from the way commodore designed it with the little tabs! if you keep removing and replacing it the tabs fall off unless you leave them down. But thats me being fussy about it.
Old 05 September 2020, 17:55   #9
roondar

Tecnically speaking the RF shield also shields the system against RF emission coming in, but in reality these don't normally cause issues. That said, I once had an interesting talk with a radio hobbyist who pointed out that using a short wave radio transmitter at just the correct frequency can indeed cause computers to malfunction & crash (within a short range of the transmission).

Take it for what it's worth, he never demonstrated it and this was many years ago so I might not recall it correctly.
Old 05 September 2020, 21:52   #10
Ami

If you are not using microwave oven next to Amiga, I wouldn't bother.
Old 06 September 2020, 01:05   #11
shaf

I seem to recall an issue with some WaveLan PCMCIA wireless Cards from Lucent that operated in the 911Mhz range that caused Interference with Amigas.
Old 08 September 2020, 15:50   #12
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I just use a ribbon cable to connect my SD-IDE adapter, I've kept the top shield on and in place.
Does your Hard Disk LED stay on all the time?
Old 11 September 2020, 06:31   #13
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetinfinity View Post
Hallo,

In addition to the Kickstart ROM I bought a SD Card Adapter.
https://sordan.ie/product/481/angle-...miga-600-1200/

In order to implement the SD Card adapter I would need to remove the A1200 metal shield.

Is the metal shield neccessary today or can I simply remove the shield without any disadvantages ?

BR Planetinfinity
Modern PC motherboards have metal shield grounding layers, hence pre-built tempered glass RGB light gaming PCs that can still pass FCC regulation. Metal shield grounding layers are to use isolate layers from each other which are needed for high-performance PC motherboards.