English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 August 2009, 23:34   #1
Jgames

Street fighter 2 CPC edition

Hi everyone;
Have you seen this [ Show youtube player ] ?
This is so impressive, i am nearly sure it's fake,
I think it's a pc version of street fighter 2 using graphics cpc style; I already saw an action pc game with cpc style graphics.
Old 26 August 2009, 00:03   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
it's CPC graphic style, but running on a PC
Old 26 August 2009, 00:36   #3
Pyromania

I remember the Amiga version looking better but have not played it for years.
Old 26 August 2009, 14:05   #4
manicx

Awesome. Is it more than 16 colors? Looks like it is but how?
Old 26 August 2009, 14:07   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's not really a CPC It's a PC program that looks like a CPC game
Actually really not bad.
Old 26 August 2009, 14:13   #6
viddi

Nah, it´s a fake.

It has background anims and parallax scrolling.
So this stuff plus two large sprites fit in 128k? No way.
Even the Amiga version lacks animated backgrounds.

A decent conversion might be possible on the Plus machines, though.
Old 26 August 2009, 14:17   #7
keropi

this yells "fake" from afar...
Old 26 August 2009, 14:18   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
not to mention it has music and colour gfx at the same time. Dont think such a cpc game exists that does. Just having music in the first place is an achievement
Old 26 August 2009, 14:22   #9
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I want to believe
Old 26 August 2009, 14:30   #10
viddi

You can get a patched Street Fighter 2 version for the CPC here:
http://cpcrulez.free.fr/GamesDL_hack...725f322e7a6970

This is a cool Street Fighter 2 clone for the CPC:
http://www.roland-barthel.de/Bollaware/fresfighter.html

BTW, check out this website:
http://orion.cpcscene.com/
Old 26 August 2009, 15:00   #11
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Nah, it´s a fake.

It has background anims and parallax scrolling.
So this stuff plus two large sprites fit in 128k? No way.
Even the Amiga version lacks animated backgrounds.

A decent conversion might be possible on the Plus machines, though.
games that are played from cartridges don't need to load sprites into memory, they directly copy the sprites from rom to video ram for display, that's why i think computers (msx for example) and console games with rom cartridges don't need a lot of ram, and usually has very small ram (like the snes 64kb); this small ram is used only to store game variables...

that's why, the sprites must always be uncompressed in cartridge type games, or very rarely they are compressed in rom and are decompressded on the fly on a part of the small ram, small step by small step in transition to get it whole to video ram on as single frame, for this a special decompressing chip is used. (like the case for super street fighter 2 turbo or alpha i think on the snes)

This also means that a game stored in cartridges is coded differently than a disc game that loads everything to memory;

And in the case a cartridge game is dumped to disc, it has to be loaded entirely in ram in order to be played. (example are msx games that need 64kb or less when in cartridge form, but need total cartridge rom size + variable space to allow to work as disc formats, and end up needing for example 128kb if the game rom itself is less than 128kb).

So, maybe if this CPC street fighter was on cartridge, as in cpc+, it may fit in the 128kb ram, but...even, i don't think the cpc can handle a game like that...

correct me if wrong, those are just speculations of my part
Old 26 August 2009, 15:18   #12
tomcat666
Retro Freak

100% a fake
one can see at 0:37 when it fades out... cpc doesn't have so many shades to achieve that effect.
It doesn't say it is for CPC Plus though, the game could be possible there, maybe even with that parallax... the scrolling is quite jerky, so it could be ;-) Remember that CPC needed to push around 16k of data to do scrolling and this looks full screen to me. No way...
Old 26 August 2009, 15:19   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
games that are played from cartridges don't need to load sprites into memory, they directly copy the sprites from rom to video ram for display, that's why i think computers (msx for example) and console games with rom cartridges don't need a lot of ram, and usually has very small ram (like the snes 64kb); this small ram is used only to store game variables...

that's why, the sprites must always be uncompressed in cartridge type games, or very rarely they are compressed in rom and are decompressded on the fly on a part of the small ram, small step by small step in transition to get it whole to video ram on as single frame, for this a special decompressing chip is used. (like the case for super street fighter 2 turbo or alpha i think on the snes)

This also means that a game stored in cartridges is coded differently than a disc game that loads everything to memory;

Intresting point of view Jgames and something I would like to know more about
Surley an Amiga with 2mb would have enough memory to hold backgrouns all sprites and anything else if coded correctly - I dont think sprites would be read direct from cartridge in game? - I might be wrong ;-)
Old 26 August 2009, 16:23   #14
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I dont think sprites would be read direct from cartridge in game? - I might be wrong ;-)
I am sure they are directly read from rom;
For example, take the snes for example that has 64kb ram; if you want to display a full screen 320*200 image on the snes (just an example, snes dosn't have the 320*200) in 8bits colour mode, this is 64kb of memory, if you put this image on ram before sending it to vram, all the ram would be filled! where is then the game code?, the variables etc..., the system would just crash.
Coin up Arcade games are like that also, very small ram.
Old 26 August 2009, 16:47   #15
Jgames

Actually, we need someone who knows about those cartdrige consoles or computers or aracde developpement to clarify;
because, if the rom are copied directly to vram, without double buffering(That needs ram as big as vram), the drawing transitions (background, forground, sprites, text etc...) will flicker the screen...normally; unless the copy it is done very very fast on one go. If the system can keep up with a steady fast frame rate, the player will see nothing, else, the player will see background drawn first, then sprites one after one, then text after etc... if the game happens to slow down badly.
Old 26 August 2009, 21:24   #16
mrbob2

From memory i seem to remember the amstrad was very similar to a speccy 48/128k but with a better colour mode.

Theres no way in gods green earth this is running on a stock amstrad CPC. Its on par with the megadrive version.

no way no how!
Old 26 August 2009, 21:45   #17
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Megadrive version looks better than that cpcesque pc game.
Also i think it could be possible to program this game for the cpc.
In fact i have magazones of the time when the games is announced for several platforms, included the Amstrad.
Old 26 August 2009, 22:07   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

I don't know any CPC game with sampled sfx... I think it's too much for this machine.
Old 27 August 2009, 13:34   #19
Jgames

I've done some search on the cartdrige games, the wiki says this
Quote:
" In most cases the designs were fairly crude, with the entire address and data buses exposed by the port; the cartridge was memory mapped directly into the system's address space"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_cartridge
This means, the cartrige is considered as RAM in the console, or the computer. It's accessed like a read only RAM to be more correct; It's like having a game from floppy already loaded to ram.
This means that writing a rom game, variables declaration must be explicitly put in a region where the ram is read and write; (the small ram the console have)
So the rom games are executed directly from the rom;

now the question i would like an answer to is how the double buffering is done, if the amount of ram is much lesser than memory needed for a full screen dispaly mode?
Maybe as i pointed before, most consoles don't do double buffering, and write directly to Vram?, or write to a non displayable portion of Vram and flip (change address) to this vram when wanting to display; like DOS Modex (that uses 256 kb of vram, making it capable of using 4 pages of 64kb 320*200 screens), but this needs a lot of ram (256kb) to do that.

Anyone can help?
Old 27 August 2009, 13:55   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
now the question i would like an answer to is how the double buffering is done
I imagine either it isn't or they render to the back buffer and then copy to the screen buffer during a VSYNC period.

Quote:
If the amount of ram is much lesser than memory needed for a full screen display mode?
The CPC resolution is 160×200x4 ~= 16 Kbytes. So even two full screen locations + tile set + sprite set is much less than the system memory of 64 Kbytes.

Quote:
Maybe as i pointed before, most consoles don't do double buffering, and write directly to Vram?
Correct. They could use the VSYNC & HSYNC interrupts (or poll counters) to time accesses to RAM in such a way as to always be behind the electron gun. Not sure they did this, just I know it is possible.

Quote:
or write to a non displayable portion of Vram and flip (change address) to this vram when wanting to display
Not sure the early 8-bit consoles & home computers could "flip" the screen address? Pretty sure in most it was at a fixed location, no? If you needed to double buffer you have the overhead of copying too.

Last edited by alexh; 27 August 2009 at 14:09.