English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2005, 12:58   #1
Maverick

A1000 shows black screen

Hi,

just got two A1000 from a colleague of mine and they both refuse to show a picture. Of course I'm quite irritated that both show the same fault, but my A500 works fine with this monitor and cable so it have to be the Amigas itself causing the problem. I can hear the drive trying to read the kickstart disk, but that's all - no pic.
What is an A1000 doing when no kickstart disk is inserted? I assume it would show at least something, but I never had an A1000 before and my colleague can not remember it anymore.

Thanks for your help

Frank
Old 19 May 2005, 11:26   #2
microslave
Amiga 1000 [1986]

Hi Maverick,
you should see at last the screen requesting a kickstart disk. I also used an Amiga 1000 between 1986 and 1992, but I remember only vaguely any hardware trouble with monitors. I even could connect a composite monitor using a cinch cable, but always used the original amiga rgb monitor, which was connected with a scart cable.
Sometimes I connected my Amiga to my TV set, using the scart port, but I had to set a switch on my tv to use "digital rgb".
Maybe you could try to use a simple cinch cable to connect your amiga 1000 to the composite video input of your tv.
Hope these comments are of any help for you.
Greets
Old 19 May 2005, 13:32   #3
Maverick

Quote:
you should see at last the screen requesting a kickstart disk
Yeah, that's what I expected, too. But both of them showing the same fault made me wonder if there might be something else.
May be it has something to do with the power supply, because there's only one of them working and so I had to try both machines with the same power supply.
If I have time I'll measure the voltages, but I don't know if an old A1000 is worth the effort to fix it. Especially since I first have to get a schematic of the power supply unit, the one I have is for the motherboard only.