English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 September 2021, 23:42   #1
Malakie

Is there any way to use a USB hard drive (or zip drive) on A2000?

I know I can convert an IDE to scsi in a case or ESATA drive to SCSI the same way...

But I have a Zip 250 I want to use (z250USBPCM model) that has the USB connector and a second connector I am not sure what it is, that I would like to use on the Amiga.

Anyone have any info on this?
Old 15 September 2021, 00:00   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post

I know I can convert an IDE to scsi in a case or ESATA drive to SCSI the same way...

But I have a Zip 250 I want to use (z250USBPCM model) that has the USB connector and a second connector I am not sure what it is, that I would like to use on the Amiga.

Anyone have any info on this?
The only method I’m aware of is that you can use USB drives is by buying a Zorro card X-surf 100 plus a RapidRoad X-surf only USB to plug onto the X-surf then with Poseidon USB stack (free on the internet) you should then be able to use USB devices.
I use a couple of rapidroads with Poseidon and so far been able to connect things like card readers, usb sound cards etc..

Individual computers sell these but you may get them from Amiga resellers:

X-surf 100

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...-surf-100.html

Rapid road usb

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...droad-usb.html

Poseidon can be downloaded from this page with rapidroad drivers

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/RapidRoad

Last edited by Jpor; 15 September 2021 at 00:07.
Old 15 September 2021, 00:20   #3
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
The only method I’m aware of is that you can use USB drives is by buying a Zorro card X-surf 100 plus a RapidRoad X-surf only USB to plug onto the X-surf then with Poseidon USB stack (free on the internet) you should then be able to use USB devices.
I use a couple of rapidroads with Poseidon and so far been able to connect things like card readers, usb sound cards etc..

Individual computers sell these but you may get them from Amiga resellers:

X-surf 100

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...-surf-100.html

Rapid road usb

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...droad-usb.html

Poseidon can be downloaded from this page with rapidroad drivers

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/RapidRoad

Great will take a look at those asap.. Been searching with no luck so figured I would ask here ... Was starting to think for my A2000 I might be outta luck.
Old 15 September 2021, 01:15   #4
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Great will take a look at those asap.. Been searching with no luck so figured I would ask here ... Was starting to think for my A2000 I might be outta luck.
Just make sure your A2000 has a 68020 or higher CPU
Old 15 September 2021, 01:31   #5
Malakie

Quote:
Just make sure your A2000 has a 68020 or higher CPU
Ugh.. no it does not.. basic A2000 with 1 meg chip, 2 meg fast, an A2091, Floppy (added a Gotek as well) and that's it. Oh and running 2.04 unless I can find a original Rom that works someplace for 3.1 or higher (tried the Cloanto rom but I get some very odd behavior where it won't boot the WB from anything BUT the cloanto files even with the .library file moved)

Anyhow, I guess I need to find an 020 card.. I really wish I had not lost my original Sapphire 020 card that my own dev company created back in the day.. I hope someday I find out floating out there someone will sell me as I am trying to replace all I lost in a house fire as much as possible.. Sadly a lot of source code and hardware though, is lost forever now.

BTW, do you happen to know if there is a took for the A2000 running 2.04 that would allow me to eject a Zip 100 disk and when I insert a new one, auto refresh the drive so I don't have to reboot the machine? Something like what the floppies do?
Old 15 September 2021, 02:50   #6
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Ugh.. no it does not.. basic A2000 with 1 meg chip, 2 meg fast, an A2091, Floppy (added a Gotek as well) and that's it. Oh and running 2.04 unless I can find a original Rom that works someplace for 3.1 or higher (tried the Cloanto rom but I get some very odd behavior where it won't boot the WB from anything BUT the cloanto files even with the .library file moved)

Anyhow, I guess I need to find an 020 card.. I really wish I had not lost my original Sapphire 020 card that my own dev company created back in the day.. I hope someday I find out floating out there someone will sell me as I am trying to replace all I lost in a house fire as much as possible.. Sadly a lot of source code and hardware though, is lost forever now.

BTW, do you happen to know if there is a took for the A2000 running 2.04 that would allow me to eject a Zip 100 disk and when I insert a new one, auto refresh the drive so I don't have to reboot the machine? Something like what the floppies do?
Os 3.9 came with iotools for the Amiga which I believe you can now get an up to date version off Aminet;

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/IoTools
Old 15 September 2021, 03:39   #7
Malakie

Quote:
Os 3.9 came with iotools for the Amiga which I believe you can now get an up to date version off Aminet;

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/IoTools
Yea but the issue is I need the actual Amiga rom kickstart to support it too.. that's the hard part
Old 15 September 2021, 08:24   #8
Locutus

Do you have Amiga formatted disks with data on them that you need to archive/recover?

Given all those barriers, Isn't it more straightforward to just hookup the drive to a PC and run WinUAE?

That'll allow you to read the disks 'natively' inside the emulated Amiga.

Then you can always transfer the files through some more straightforward method later to the A2000.
Old 15 September 2021, 11:02   #9
thomas

Quote:
Just press the button on the drive. If that does not work, then no, there is no tool which will help you. Every tool just sends the "Eject" command to the drive which is the same as pressing the button.

Normally if you mount the drive using a mountlist entry or DOSDriver, then disk change should be recognised automatically. Only if you partitioned the disks like a harddrive, then disk changes are not supported.
Old 15 September 2021, 13:52   #10
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Do you have Amiga formatted disks with data on them that you need to archive/recover?

Given all those barriers, Isn't it more straightforward to just hookup the drive to a PC and run WinUAE?

That'll allow you to read the disks 'natively' inside the emulated Amiga.

Then you can always transfer the files through some more straightforward method later to the A2000.
Yes he could do that. But he still needs the ROM files which can only be legally done by also buying Amiga Forever as well
Old 15 September 2021, 22:52   #11
Malakie

Quote:
Yes he could do that. But he still needs the ROM files which can only be legally done by also buying Amiga Forever as well
I do own Amiga Forever and in fact always upgrade in support of their work.. BUT I still need a rom chip with the 3.x kickstart that will work with the basic 3.9 install and OS.

I did buy a 3.1 Cloanto rom and cannot get it to work unless I install their own disks only... It's odd.. If I use their rom and install 3.9 I get NO icons on the Workbench and no menus. And yes, I know the workbench library has to be manually installed because that was removed in their rom... It does not fix the problem...

BUT if I install the Cloanto disks that came with the Rom it works.... If I do that first then UPGRADE to 3.9, yet again it goes back to the no icons, no menus situation...

So unless I can find an original 3.x kickstart rom for the A2000 somewhere, I am stuck using 2.04
Old 15 September 2021, 23:46   #12
Jpor
Banned

So the 2000 ROM you have is 3.1 version 40.063? Are you sure you have the correct ROM version?
I don’t think you can get original 3.1 ROMs for the A2000. You can for the A1200 and A4000 as they were the last Amiga models to be sold before Commodore went bankrupt.
Unless commodore sold upgraded ROMs for the past Amiga Models?
Old 16 September 2021, 00:20   #13
Malakie

Quote:
So the 2000 ROM you have is 3.1 version 40.063? Are you sure you have the correct ROM version?
I don’t think you can get original 3.1 ROMs for the A2000. You can for the A1200 and A4000 as they were the last Amiga models to be sold before Commodore went bankrupt.
I need to put in the 3.1 from Cloanto again as I don't remember the version now...

And I thought there was a 3.1 rom kickstart released for the A2500 HD when I was still there in fact? Been a long time so I might be thinking of the A1200 or A4000 but I could swear we did upgrade the rom for the A2xxx series right about the time the A3000 was released...

Either way, if I am wrong on that, then Cloanto is the only one that has a 3.x rom I take it... So now the question is, why the heck am I seeing the symptoms I am seeing?

To me it makes NO sense at all that as long as I use the Cloanto disks with that rom, all is well.. But the moment I alter and upgrade those disk to 3.5 or 3.9, all goes to shit.
Old 16 September 2021, 02:14   #14
Jpor
Banned

Well check this video just realised on YouTube from Chris Edwards about programming your own ROMs

[ Show youtube player ]

I’m going to buy a kit myself
Old 16 September 2021, 02:17   #15
Malakie

Quote:
Well check this video just realised on YouTube from Chris Edwards about programming your own ROMs

[ Show youtube player ]

I’m going to buy a kit myself
Thanks watching now
Old 16 September 2021, 06:41   #16
Jope
-

Quote:
3.1 was only sold by Commodore inside the A4000T and CD32, but it was built for every model and later sold for every model by Village Tronic.
Old 16 September 2021, 12:11   #17
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
3.1 was only sold by Commodore inside the A4000T and CD32, but it was built for every model and later sold for every model by Village Tronic.
Thanks Jope
Every days a school day
Old 16 September 2021, 12:14   #18
Jope
-

We're lucky that 3.1 got out. :-)
Old 16 September 2021, 20:23   #19
Nobby_UK

Quote:

I have a 3.1 v40.63 (A500/A600/A2000) Rom from Hyperion.
Old 16 September 2021, 22:34   #20
Matt_H

3.1 ROM chips for the 2000 can be bought at almost any dealer. Make sure you don’t confuse it with a 3.X ROM, which is Cloanto’s custom version, roughly corresponding to OS3.9.

For swapping Zip disks, have a look at SCSIMounter on Aminet.