English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 July 2021, 09:45   #1
guybrush

Amiga keycaps for mechanical keyboards?

I have a mechanical keyboard that use cheap clones of the Cherry MX.

I would like to get a sticker set but I heard that those are not that reliable, and second of all, I would like the keycaps in the Amiga color scheme (white letters with the modifiers and numeric keypad in light grey).

I looked around and found some old kickstarter for replacement keys for original amiga keyboards; but not much in terms of modern keyboards.

Posting an image of the switches. Would love to find custom keycaps but so far I had no luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switches.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	630.4 KB
ID:	72677  
Old 28 July 2021, 13:04   #2
aeberbach

This is a subject some of us have thought a lot about...

There are the ones made by Amiga On The Lake for use with the Kipper2k keyboards but they don't separate them (and the keyboards can take a long time to be delivered as another thread will show you).

Cheap option is to buy sets from aliexpress or similar. Buy a couple of sets, including some blanks, and use the 6 or so 1.25U keys in each set as F keys. Not ideal but not too expensive.

For keyboards I made I bought a set at Signature Plastics. They can supply individual keys in any width required with most legends (including the Amiga keys) available. The only legend they do not have is "Help". I fitted out an A600 set but the cost was high. If you want the list of the individual keys I ordered I can find that. The more people that contact them (pimpmykeyboard.com) and request an affordable set of keys for Amiga computers the more likely it is to happen but they haven't shown much interest in pricing an Amiga set anything like a PC set just yet.

If you want to have some A600/A1200 layouts to help plan what keys you're going to get: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100257
Old 30 July 2021, 03:37   #3
Pierre

You can order Amiga themed Cherry MX compatible keycap from Steve Jones:
https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/Products.aspx
Old 30 July 2021, 23:52   #4
aeberbach

Steve’s keycaps look fine but they’re “themed” for an Amiga, they don’t fit in an Amiga layout. Crucial difference
Old 20 August 2021, 07:14   #5
guybrush

Thanks for your suggestions; I ended up getting some themed from Etsy; they made a pretty good job matching the actual Amiga font and positioning of the characters, and it was pretty cheap (the whole set for just the amiga keys, letters, modifiers and keypad was about 40 dollars shipped).

The main problem is that a 102 keys keyboard is still not matching the Amiga layout but it is the best I can get at this point. Maybe the next kickstarter should be a combo of a USB keyboard with Amiga layout and an internal adapter to use the Amiga keyboard; kinda like what they did with the C64 Maxi, where they made a replica of the keyboard but that is connected via USB, and all the keys works as expected